Install without swap

• Hi all,

I've just tried to install OMV on my server, on a 128 GB SSD and failed miserably a number of times, with the error message "disk too tiny" prior to realize that the setup worked just fine on a 1TB SSD.
    When inspecting the 1TB SSD to review why the installer failed, I realized that setup had allocated a 192GB swap partition which - in this case - is wasted space as I'm never going to run out of memory.

The server where I'm running OMV has, effectively, 192 GB of ECC RAM.
    Would it be possible to install OMV without swap or, with just a limited amount of space allocated (let's say 16GB)?

Alternatively I'm thinking of installing as is (with 192 GB swap), then run GParted, re-size the partition to 64GB OS + 32GB Swap, then with Clonezilla clone the 1TB drive (96GB + unallocated space, to be sure it fits) to the 128 GB SSD, then use GParted to extend the OS partition.

Would anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you!

HP MicroServer Gen 8
    HP DL360e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2700

HP DL380e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2600

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would anyone have a suggestion?

You can't do it with the OMV iso. So, I would install using the Debian netinst and then install OMV using the guide in the Guides sub-forum.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you @ryecoaaron.

Would you suggest that it'd be cleaner to do Debian NetInst followed by installing OMV or would you suggest to install OMV on a larger drive, resize the partitions, then clone it to the smaller one?

Thank you.

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would you suggest that it'd be cleaner to do Debian NetInst followed by installing OMV or would you suggest to install OMV on a larger drive, resize the partitions, then clone it to the smaller one?

I think either works. Whatever you feel comfortable with. If you install it on a larger drive, I would just get rid of swap altogether on a system with that much ram.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm probably a little more comfortable with just keeping the current install (on 2 128GB SSD in Raid 0), shrink the partitions to 60+60GB, take an image with CloneZilla, wipe the RAID configuration and re-initialize the drives as Raid 1, then restore from the image. That's something I'm kind of familiar as on my other OMV NAS I use SD cards for the boot drive and I often back them up or restore with CloneZilla.

Thank you.

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• Just to confirm, this is what I have done and it worked like a charm:
    - Booted up GParted and resized the Swap partition from 192GB to 32 GB; the OS drive was ~ 46 GB so I left it as it was, shrunk the extended partition and moved it close to the OS so to leave all empty space at the end of the drive
    - Booted up CloneZilla and taken an image of the drive
    - Booted into HP ACU, deleted the Raid-0 volume (2 x 128GB HP SSD), created a new Raid-1 volume (2 x 128GB HP SSD)
    - Booted up CloneZilla and restored the image to the newly created drive (had to use the Expert menu and select the -icds option to ignore the drive size mismatch and have selected to use the partition table from the image)
    - Booted up GParted, moved the extended partition and the enclosed 32 GB Swap partition to the end of the volume, resized the OS partition to fit the drive

HP MicroServer Gen 8

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!