No boot device after initial install on HP T620

• Hey everyone, I'm new to OMV. I have read a lot about getting started and watched various videos. I downloaded ISO and burned to USB flash with Etcher. The install seemed to go fine. I selected the 256GB M.2 SSD drive in my HP T620 and there were no problems or errors during install. When it finished and said it was complete, I removed the install USB flash drive and system rebooted. It immediately tried to boot to network so I went into BIOS and set the SSD as first boot device and after rebooting again it said "No boot device or disk failure". I played around with it some more, but couldn't get it to boot. I went through the install again and again with no problem, but same thing after I rebooted system.
    I then installed Windows 10 on the system just to verify that the drive is working since I bought all of this off of ebay recently. I had no problems installing and booting Windows 10 so I am perplexed here and hope you fine people can help me out! :)

• Try installing Debian 9 instead of OMV. When Debian can boot then your chances are good that OMV does it too.
    There are some threads here that people with HP hardware have boot issues under Linux, especially when trying to boot from an USB stick - which doesn´t apply in your case - but nevertheless...

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Would it make any difference if I booted with UEFI vs legacy BIOS? I created an OMV 5 flash drive and chose legacy BIOS flash drive and it installed and booted fine. Then I created a OMV 4 flash drive and did the same thing and it is working fine. I think the first time I might have chose UEFI boot, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Would it make any difference if I booted with UEFI vs legacy BIOS?

Yes, at least for OMV4. As I know the iso don´t support UEFI. If the computer only supports UEFI then Debian must be installed before.
    I don´t know if this has changed in OMV5.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• the latest ISO for OMV4 supports UEFI

Thx for the correction. Is that also applicable for OMV5?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Hey everyone, I'm new to OMV. I have read a lot about getting started and watched various videos. I downloaded ISO and burned to USB flash with Etcher. The install seemed to go fine. I selected the 256GB M.2 SSD drive in my HP T620 and there were no problems or errors during install. When it finished and said it was complete, I removed the install USB flash drive and system rebooted. It immediately tried to boot to network so I went into BIOS and set the SSD as first boot device and after rebooting again it said "No boot device or disk failure". I played around with it some more, but couldn't get it to boot. I went through the install again and again with no problem, but same thing after I rebooted system.
    I then installed Windows 10 on the system just to verify that the drive is working since I bought all of this off of ebay recently. I had no problems installing and booting Windows 10 so I am perplexed here and hope you fine people can help me out! :)

Hi pcjunkie7,

I read somewhere this is a HP bios issue, it simply doesn't boot a linux OS :(

But there is a sollution:

I've an T620 myself. It runs and boot OMV4 (and now testing OMV5) from the internal SSD.
    You can use the latest OMV4 or OMV5 ISO and install OMV on your internal SSD, unfortunately you can't boot for now.

Make a bootable rEFInd USB stick: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ and boot the T620 with this stick.

After the system boots, you can type the following in the terminal:

mkdir /boot/efi/EFI/boot
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

Now you can remove the rEFInd stick and normally reboot your T620 from the internal SSD

kr.,
    Frepke

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.5-1 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Frepke ()

• Dear Frepke,

When I put below command I've got information:

mkdir: Unknown flag - '/boot/efi/EFI/boot'

what I'm doing wrong?

I have HP T620

mkdir /boot/efi/EFI/boot

• How far does the path exist?

cd /boot

cd /boot/efi

cd /boot/efi/EFI

• I'm totally beginner in that system.

I took ISO image, mount in USB and install follow the screens during installation.

Of course installed on hard drive in T620.

How to check existing path?

• Dit you, after the OMV installation was completed, boot the T620 with an rEFInd boot usb?

• Aaaah,

In rEFInd you selected the shell option instead of your OMV system.
    You have to select the OMV drive, log in as root with your password (created during the OMV installation).

When you are logged in, you can use the commands.

• OMV installation was completed, then I try boot system but I saw only information:

no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

So as you wrote, I downloaded rEFInd, mount it in USB and run.

I see below screen and click on "Start EFI shell":

on next screen I wrote your command:

Did I done something wrong? ?(

• Yes, select 1 of the upper 2

• now I have this:

missing file

Almost there, I think you missed a space between grubx64.efi and /boot

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!