No boot device after initial install on HP T620

• OMV 4.x
    • No boot device after initial install on HP T620

Hey everyone, I'm new to OMV. I have read a lot about getting started and watched various videos. I downloaded ISO and burned to USB flash with Etcher. The install seemed to go fine. I selected the 256GB M.2 SSD drive in my HP T620 and there were no problems or errors during install. When it finished and said it was complete, I removed the install USB flash drive and system rebooted. It immediately tried to boot to network so I went into BIOS and set the SSD as first boot device and after rebooting again it said "No boot device or disk failure". I played around with it some more, but couldn't get it to boot. I went through the install again and again with no problem, but same thing after I rebooted system.
      I then installed Windows 10 on the system just to verify that the drive is working since I bought all of this off of ebay recently. I had no problems installing and booting Windows 10 so I am perplexed here and hope you fine people can help me out! :)
    • Try installing Debian 9 instead of OMV. When Debian can boot then your chances are good that OMV does it too.
      There are some threads here that people with HP hardware have boot issues under Linux, especially when trying to boot from an USB stick - which doesn´t apply in your case - but nevertheless...
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • pcjunkie7 wrote:

Would it make any difference if I booted with UEFI vs legacy BIOS?
      Yes, at least for OMV4. As I know the iso don´t support UEFI. If the computer only supports UEFI then Debian must be installed before.
      I don´t know if this has changed in OMV5.
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • pcjunkie7 wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm new to OMV. I have read a lot about getting started and watched various videos. I downloaded ISO and burned to USB flash with Etcher. The install seemed to go fine. I selected the 256GB M.2 SSD drive in my HP T620 and there were no problems or errors during install. When it finished and said it was complete, I removed the install USB flash drive and system rebooted. It immediately tried to boot to network so I went into BIOS and set the SSD as first boot device and after rebooting again it said "No boot device or disk failure". I played around with it some more, but couldn't get it to boot. I went through the install again and again with no problem, but same thing after I rebooted system.
      I then installed Windows 10 on the system just to verify that the drive is working since I bought all of this off of ebay recently. I had no problems installing and booting Windows 10 so I am perplexed here and hope you fine people can help me out! :)
      Hi pcjunkie7,

I read somewhere this is a HP bios issue, it simply doesn't boot a linux OS :(

But there is a sollution:

I've an T620 myself. It runs and boot OMV4 (and now testing OMV5) from the internal SSD.
      You can use the latest OMV4 or OMV5 ISO and install OMV on your internal SSD, unfortunately you can't boot for now.

Make a bootable rEFInd USB stick: rodsbooks.com/refind/ and boot the T620 with this stick.

After the system boots, you can type the following in the terminal:

mkdir /boot/efi/EFI/boot
      cp /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

Now you can remove the rEFInd stick and normally reboot your T620 from the internal SSD

kr.,
      Frepke

The post was edited 1 time, last by Frepke ().