Regular updates installed wrong "proxmox" version of zfs utils

• Hi forum !

I recently setup an OMV 5.0.5 installation including zfs, everything worked well after some help by ryecoaaron. I also installed "proxmox" kernel for testing, however i decided to stick to the 4.19.0-5 kernel coming with OMV 5.0.5; however I did not unsinstall "proxmox".
    Now, by doing a regular "update", "zfsutils-linux_0.8.1-pve2_amd64.deb" got installed (I guess this is the "proxmox"-variant), breaking zfs and any other update attempts. I got told to run apt --fix-broken install but this fails with the follwing mesages (sorry, German):

He tries to update zfsutils, but again 0.8.1, but dpg fails processing /var/cache/apt/archives/zfsutils-linux_0.8.1-pve2_amd64.deb when attempting to overwrite /usr/share/man/man5/spl-module-parameters.5.gz. I tried to manually remove this spl-module-parameters.5.gz, without success.
    I also checked /etc/apt/sources.list for any wrong sources, but there is nothing else than the debian ones.

I tried to start the still installed 5.0.21 and 5.2 kernels, however that immediately failed with a non-mountable root device, I yet digged not further into this issue.

?( Any help is appreciated...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any help is appreciated...

Just curious but why did you go back to the 4.19 kernel? If you aren't going to use the kernel, it will need to be removed since it is a higher version.

rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pvekernel.list
    apt-get purge --autoremove pve-kernel-* pve-headers
    omv-aptclean

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron,

thanks again for help :thumbup: !
    Bad that I missed the "sources.list.d" directory, these ".d" directorys are pretty much standard on any linux distro, so it should have seen it X/ .

Well, but still problems ... first I found out that the 5.2.0 kernel came with a regular update, additional to the 5.0.21 "proxmox" kernel.
    But independently which kernel I use (4.19.9, 5.0.21, 5.2.0), installation of zfs and/or running apt-get -f install fails, all ending with these messages:

Code
    Building initial module for 5.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    configure: error: error
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.7.13/build/make.log for more information.
    dpkg: error processing package spl-dkms (--configure):
     installed spl-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     spl-dkms
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Somewhen apt told me to run apt --fix-broken install, but I get this:

Code
    Get:1 http://download.proxmox.com/debian buster/pve-no-subscription amd64 zfsutils-linux amd64 0.8.1-pve2 [353 kB]
    Fetched 353 kB in 0s (3354 kB/s)      
    (Reading database ... 99659 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../zfsutils-linux_0.8.1-pve2_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking zfsutils-linux (0.8.1-pve2) ...
    dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/zfsutils-linux_0.8.1-pve2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/man5/spl-module-parameters.5.gz', which is also in package spl-dkms 0.7.13-1~bpo10+1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/zfsutils-linux_0.8.1-pve2_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So, somehow I scewed up everything ? No problem with a clean reinstall, provided I know which kernel to use and what to install in which order and what to NOT install to get a stable zfs...

Sigh, so this is the fun you deserve when using a beta, but unfortunately my hardware is too new so OMV 4.x fails during install...

Regards, Wumpus

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is possible the 0.7.13 zfs package doesn't compile on the 5.2 kernel. Clicking the "Remove non-Proxmox kernel and headers" should help. zfs is definitely stable on the proxmox kernel.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi all,

good idea :thumbup: .
    Neverteless, some other "magic" at the command line was required - GUI failed:

apt remove spl-dkms zfs-zed openmediavault-zfs
    apt autoremove
    apt-get install openmediavault-zfs

I dont know if this "autoremove" was really required, but it did not hurt, and now zfs is up and running again. And my old pool is still alive and healthy, though I had to use the "force" option with the import.

Phew 8) . That took a while ... hope thiz stays stable now. On the good side, my "apt"-skills grew the past days.

• Offizieller Beitrag

some other "magic" at the command line was required - GUI failed:

That happens when using an advanced feature on a beta release of OMV especially when the backports kernel hasn't stabilized.

I dont know if this "autoremove" was really required

Nope but usually doesn't hurt.

hope thiz stays stable now.

Which kernel are you using? As I mentioned before, the buster backports kernel hasn't stabilized yet. The proxmox kernel is a more stable option in my opinion.

On the good side, my "apt"-skills grew the past days.

I wish more OMV uses would experience this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!