What is the best way to sync 2 NASes?

• Hi,

I'm looking to sync the content from my old NAS (soon to be decommissioned) to my new NAS.
    Both are running OMV 4 and presents the same shares via SMB (i.e. NAS1 presents NAS1_MyDocuments with the content, NAS2 presents NAS2_MyDOcuments which is empty).
    There are a number of shares (around 9) that needs to be sync'd from NAS1 to NAS2.

What would be the best way to copy (and keep in sync) the content?
    I was thinking to mount the shares presented from NAS2 via RemoteMount on NAS1 and then use RSync to copy the content from one to the other.

Is there any other or better way to achieve the same goal otherwise?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8
    HP DL360e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2700

HP DL380e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2600

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any other or better way to achieve the same goal otherwise?

Why use remotemount? Just use rsync. https://forum.openmediavault.o…s/?postID=65611#post65611

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was thinking to mount the shares presented from NAS2 via RemoteMount on NAS1 and then use RSync to copy the content from one to the other.

I've been doing this for a few years. I pull share data from the primary server (the source), to the secondary device (the destination). When using remote mount for this purpose, with the Rsync plugin, the job type is "local". Also note when you set up the remote share based on remote mount; after selecting the device, the relative path is / . This will require changing the prefilled default relative path.

• Why use remotemount? Just use rsync. https://forum.openmediavault.o…s/?postID=65611#post65611

Thank you @ryecoaaron - that's a precious tip.

I was looking to follow the guide however as soon as I enable "user authentication" I am unable to save the module.
    I have tried to set the user and group to different ones (root, admin, my user account) and the configuration can be saved unless I select "user authentication" in which case the "save" button does nothing.
    I have tried a couple of browsers (Edge, Chrome) and the issue reproduces across both of them.

Have you ever faced this?

Thank you.

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• Do you really want to sync?
    Even If in NAS1 everything got encrypted by ransomware in NAS1?
    Or If you accidentally deleted a Folder in NAS1 one month later, after sync

Hi @henfri,

At present yes, I want to sync.
    I am in the process to migrate the data from the old NAS (NAS1) to the newer one (NAS2), then I would re-image NAS1, change the raid configuration and use it as offsite backup.

HP MicroServer Gen 8

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!