Email notifications stop working

• I've had this problem for a while now where email notifications just stop being sent. I get it to work again by disabling then re-enabling them in the control panel but this is not a very good solution. Has anyone heard of a problem that might be causing this or perhaps could suggest a fix?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Has anyone heard of a problem that might be causing this or perhaps could suggest a fix?

Actually, no.

DNS resolution may be a factor, but that seems like a long shot. What are you using for DNS?
    Also, what are you using for a boot drive?

Something(s) to try:
    Instead of disabling and re-enabling, try changing something in one of the fields, maybe add a secondary e-mail address, and save the change.

Have you looked through syslog?
    If the above doesn't work, try clearing your syslog, do the disable / enable and when notifications fail, look through syslog.

• I am using Google's DNS and my boot drive is a small ssd. I will have to wait for it to fail again to check the syslog but that could be some time from past history. When it first happened I thought something in an update messed it up but it happened so infrequently I never paid it much attention but this was the 5th time now and I am beginning to think I might be best served by just doing a fresh install and seeing if that fixes it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using Google's DNS

You could try using your router for DNS (effectively, that ends up being your providers DNS server). It wouldn't hurt anything for a test, but my personal preference is not to use ISP resources long term. However, to speculate, I don't believe DNS is involved.

What is the age and size of the SSD, and what does the health of the SSD look like? (SMART stat's)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another thing came to mind to help isolate the time:

Go into Scheduled Jobs and setup a daily task. Use a command like ls and set the e-mail notification on.

You'll get an E-mail everyday but when it stops, you'll know when to look in syslog and, potentially, other logs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!