Replacing Qnap TVS-673

• I am not so satisfied with QNAP amymore and started to look around me.
    And I wonder what road to take.

I am not new to pc building (+/- 30 years experience).
    But my Linux experience is about 0 ;)

I want a powerfull NAS that does not consume to much power. I know it is Contradictio in terminis, but you get what I mean.

You have 2 main streams. Intel or AMD.
    2 sub streams each. Regular PC CPU or the more advanced like Intel Skylake X or Threadripper.

Which of the 2 CPU builders gives the least issues? INTEL or AMD? And eventually why?
    NExt question is, regular cpu or the upgraded Workstation cpu?

What is the build for?
    File server
    Plex/Emby
    Virtual machines (2-3 and running slowly).

I hope somebody can point me into the right direction.
    Thanks ahead.

RobB

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is one other branch: Arm based boards (You did mention low power.) But with Plex comes transcoding which requires muscle. It can be done low-power by transcoding off server. It depends on what you want to do with Plex.

This link may be of some help.

Page 11 of the PDF user’s guide “Getting Started” reads:

“Plex, a popular media server, recommends at least 2000 on the CPU's PassMark score for each concurrent 1080p transcoded stream. (See the advice article here)
    If NAS administrators have a lot of smart phone users, in their homes or businesses, who will be watching transcoded video on the small screen, CPU loading may bear some thought.
    Look up your CPU here. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php”

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Thank for your kind answer.
    The cpu in my present QNAP is allready 4000+ passmarks, and is falling short.
    So I need something in the i5/i7/r5/r7 area. At least.
    I meant I need something powerfull, but then not to. Lets say with 6 disks up to 100 watt/hour doing some stuff.
    I think idle is not really possible when you have Raid.

That is where I asked, should I start with AMD or Intel, to have the least issues?

RobB

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe someone else will weigh in. That’s out of my league. My servers are mostly Arm boards with the exception of one old hp desktop with a 2.5 GHz dual core Pentium. Hardly a power horse. It uses too much power to be “just a server” but not enough to be a Plex beast. I do all my transcoding with Handbrake on an i7 Hackintosh.

Good luck.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!