[Help] My OMV on raspberry is shutting down by itself

• First I want to apologize for the english, I'm using google translator.

My OMV on raspberry is shutting down by itself and I couldn't figure out the reason.
    I also don't understand much about linux. Before restarting with less time, I ran the command rpi-update and slowed, but still continues.
    Does anyone know how to solve?

Syslog attached

• Offizieller Beitrag

What version of OMV are you running, and what version of Raspberry?
    How often does the R-PI shutdown?
    When the R-PI shuts down, is it at a specific time?
    When did it start shutting down? Was it after an upgrade or a change in configuration?

Under System, Update Management, is your system up to date?

This line, from your syslog, looked interesting.
    Sep 5 17:17:29 MediaHouse systemd[1]: Started Unattended Upgrades Shutdown

Do you know how to get on the command line?

Under the directory /var/log/
    Look to see if there's a folder named unattended-upgrades

• OMV4: 4.1.23-1 (Arrakis)
    My PI is 3B+

Yes, my system is up to date.
    No, its a random time.
    I did a clean install and was already with this bug.

I don't know how to use the command line very much

Yes, there is a folder with that name !

• Offizieller Beitrag

(Just for a confirmation, please advise which image you used to build your R-PI 3+. Thanks)

First of all, the easiest way to deal with this might be to rebuild again.
    Second, use the image with the name; OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img.xz
    Then, please note that the base OS for R-PI images on OMV4 is Armbian. rpi-update is used with Raspbian, so don't use it.
    Do all of your updates in the GUI under System, Update Management.

This will probably straighten it out, but if it doesn't, consider the following.

(Do you have WinSCP installed on a windows PC? That makes it easy to edit your server's config files.)

If you want to try to fix this, I would look for a configuration file found under;
    /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/  The file name is 50unattended-upgrades

In the file, if you find a line that matches either of the following lines that is set to "true", change the setting to "false".

//Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "true"
    //Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot-WithUsers "true"

Or, you might try removing the package;
    apt-get purge unattended-upgrades

Finally, since things like this happen on a rare occasion, consider cloning your boot SD-card for a backup. There's a guide with a process for cloning your SD-card here, under OS backup. There's also a link to a site where the guide can be translated your language. The translation won't be perfect, but maybe close enough.

• Thanks for your help
    I used rpi-update because I needed to install the wifi driver, I followed this tutorial

I now used apt-get purge unattended-upgrades. If it doesn't work I will reinstall.

At first suggest to type the omv-initsystem command, I need to do this?
    When I'm setting up from scratch

Sorry again for my English.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your translated English is fine. (If you are translating what I'm posting and can figure that out, I'll do the same. :) )

I would still like to know which image you used to build your R-PI.
    Was it the newest one, named: OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz ?

At first suggest to type the omv-initsystem command, I need to do this?
    When I'm setting up from scratch

No. This applies to X86 installs. SBC images are different.

I looked through the How-To you posted. I believe the rpi-update package is related to a firmware upgrade. I wasn't aware that this firmware update was needed, but it appears to be a one time event. (Once it's done, it's done. You shouldn't have to do it again.)

If you used this image OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz , consider rebuiding.
    Use this image -> OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img.xz

This time, if possible, follow the SBC build in the guide:

- I don't recommend setting auto-logout to disable. (60 minutes should be fine or 1 day at the most.)
    - Don't install the rpi-update package
    - Do all your updates in the GUI under System, Update Management

Once the install is fully up to date, consider backing up your install by cloning your SD-card, before proceeding.

Then, there's a choice to make:

1. Continue with;
    nmtui connect
    Select your Network Name
    Enter the password to connect to WiFi

If that works, great. You're done.

(Or)

wget https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpt3_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpt3_all.deb
    Followed by
    nmtui connect
    Select your Network Name.
    Enter the password to connect to WiFi

Note that accessing a file server over wireless can cause headaches. (Interference problems, dropouts, etc.) If at all possible, it would be best to locate your R-PI with your wireless router, use a wired connection to the router, and let the router act as the server's wireless access point.

• -----------------------------------------------
    I understand more than I talk. I'm translating only to answer here.
    Did not work, ill reinstall.

Instead this Do all your updates in the GUI under System, Update Management, can i do sudo apt-get update then upgrade in command line?

I can't use Pi wired to a router, the router is not in my apartment. I'm using 5GHz to improve the speed and the signal is not the worst here.

I can't clone my SD because I don't have another.

Tomorrow I'll reinstall and come back to talk if it fixed

When I installed it, I followed the TecnoDadLife tutorial. He has a topic here and a youtube channel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

can i do sudo apt-get update then upgrade in command line?

You can do apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade , but apt-get upgrade may install some updates that are not needed. (Your call.)

Did not work, ill reinstall.

Use the older image - OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img.xz

I can't use Pi wired to a router, the router is not in my apartment. I'm using 5GHz to improve the speed and the signal is not the worst here.

You have to do what you have to do. :)

I can't clone my SD because I don't have another.

You should get another SD-card for backup. At the minimum, consider backing up your card to a file on a PC, with Win32Diskimager.

When I installed it, I followed the TecnoDadLife tutorial. He has a topic here and a youtube channel.

He has a lot of videos.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

The things that can go wrong with an R-PI are, usually, in this order:

1. Power problems.
    The recommended power supply for a 3B+ is 2.5 Amps. Use a short USB cable (25cm). If needed, use an AC extention cord. Using a USB powered hard drive with an R-PI, and a weak power supply or a long USB cable, is a recipe for problems. When the R-PI is up, scrool through the output of dmesg. If you see "undervoltage" you have a power problem.

2. SD-card
    Using a good quality SD-card is important. Generic cards are known to cause problems. Also, even if new, all SD-cards should be reformatted with SD Card formatter and tested with a utility like h2testw1.4 , before being flashed with Etcher.

3. Image
    Always run an MD5 hash check on the image before using it.

4. The R-PI.
    While it's fairly rare, on occasion, the device will have a problem. Sometimes it's ESD damage from bad handling.

• Use the older image -

When I said it didn't work it was the apt-get purge unattended-upgrades.

You can do apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade , but apt-get upgrade may install some updates that are not needed. (Your call.)

Got it, I'll do it by gui.

1. Power problems.
    The recommended power supply for a 3B+ is 2.5 Amps. Use a short USB cable (25cm). If needed, use an AC extention cord. Using a USB powered hard drive with an R-PI, and a weak power supply or a long USB cable, is a recipe for problems. When the R-PI is up, scrool through the output of dmesg. If you see "undervoltage" you have a power problem.

The power supply I'm using is 5V----3A

2. SD-card
    Using a good quality SD-card is important. Generic cards are known to cause problems. Also, even if new, all SD-cards should be reformatted with SD Card formatter and tested with a utility like h2testw1.4 , before being flashed with Etcher.

3. Image
    Always run an MD5 hash check on the image before using it.

I get a new SD CARD from Samsung. 32 GB, UHD 3, Class 10.
    I use balenaEtcher, it does a check at the end

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!