OVM Backup Plugin fsarchiver - get files out of archive

• I had a OVM 4 install running fine with a thumb drive as the OS drive. I was using the backup plugin to run fsarchiver which gave me a bunch of files *.blkid, *.fdisk, *.fsa, *.grub, *.grubparts, *.packages - the thumb drive crashed and I was trying to figure out what went wrong, eventually I just ended up reinstalling OVM 4 and was able to easily get my raid up and running without much issue just doing a whole new install - so I do not want to restore the entire backup I have, however there were some backup scripts I was working in my /root home folder that i would like to pull out of these backups that were created with the plugin.

Am I going to have to restore the backup to a disk some where, or is there a way for me to grab those files without having to do that?

For my future installs, think I will just rsync the root folder and take a KISS approach for the OS backup - as the ZFS raid came through the ordeal without a scratch - using the system backup seems overkill for my simple needs.

• Yes, I did see that - and the steps indicate restoring the archive to a new disk/partition - unsure of what fsarchiver is doing in the fsa file, was wondering if I can just restore it anywhere ( say /root/temprestore ) without munging things up for the install - them grab my files and delete the /root/temprestore folder.

• fsarchiver wouldn't restore just the files when run from the backup plugin, I am thinking its because it running a back up for a partition, so it can only restore a partition.
    So I inserted a second larger USB thumbdrive - left it unmounted but used the OMV Disks tab to see what device it was.
    Opened ShellInABox Web Client (expect ssh would have done just as well)
    used: fsarchiver restfs backup-omv.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdk1 to restore the contents of the backup to that usb partition - it overwrote the vfat partition and dropped the ext4 on there without issue.
    went back to the web interface and the change (vfat to ext4) was reflected in the disk tab
    mounted the partition with the web interface - the mount placed the drive in /svr/
    copied my files back over to my root folder
    unmounted

Worked fine, will start just using rsync to keep things simpler.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Worked fine, will start just using rsync to keep things simpler.

The idea of the plugin is to backup the OS which normally doesn't need partial restores. It sounds like you are storing data files on the OS partition. Either, dd might be a better option since you can mount a dd image (gunzip first) using a loop device. This allows you to have multiple backups that rsync doesn't allow.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Think I've just concluded that a re-install of OMV OS may be faster for my situation, I originally was looking for just what the plugin did (backup the OS in case of USB failure) - but for my simple set up, I think I really just need to back up my scripts from the root folder, the rest will be easy enough to redo after a clean install and that way I can upgrade as I go! The plugin worked great just as expected, I think i was just reaching outside its intention. Really happy with how this change from FreeNAS to OMV is going - thanks for all the great work!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!