Plexmediaserver help

• Hello all,

I have been struggling to get plex to run on OMV 4.x for a few days now. I've scoured the forums and internet for help on fixing the issues I have had with mixed results.

I've found that the plugin will be enabled but the process has a red indicator showing that it wasn't running.
    I've uninstalled/reinstalled and even grabbed the debian installer and transferred that to my nas to install locally.

I recently found a helpful post in the forums for solving the initial issues I had of too many symbolic links and not installing correctly. Then I had issues where the plugin seems to work but the webserver can't find my system. (launches the web interface but cannot find my server)

After following this I don't get errors launching plex but it still doesn't launch correctly. When I look at my logs it starts and stops almost immediately with the following error in syslog:

Code
    systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a

My concern was with following steps in the same post the command to start the plex service lists the following error:

Code
    -bash: /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver: No such file or directory

I am wondering if something during the initial install may have been configured incorrectly or if there is something I missed.

• My concern was with following steps in the same post the command to start the plex service lists the following error:

Code
    -bash: /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver: No such file or directory

This command hasn't been used to start Plex in a very long time. You are using obsolete instructions. I strongly suggest you run Plex in a docker instead of using the plugin or doing a manual install. Look around in the Guides section of the forum for how to get started with docker on OMV.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• This command hasn't been used to start Plex in a very long time. You are using obsolete instructions. I strongly suggest you run Plex in a docker instead of using the plugin or doing a manual install. Look around in the Guides section of the forum for how to get started with docker on OMV.

Thank you for letting me know. I had seen that there was a docker for it, but based on seeing the plugin is still around I thought there were options between the two.
    I'll check out that guide. Thanks again!

• Well, the plugin is still available but its future is uncertain. And whatever usage instructions you have been reading about it are obsolete.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you for the link! I've been searching the forums but hadn't found a concrete post about configuring and using the docker plugins. I'll give that a shot.
    If I still don't have any luck from plex, are there any solid sources for transcoding with miniDLNA?

• Thank you for the link! I've been searching the forums but hadn't found a concrete post about configuring and using the docker plugins. I'll give that a shot.If I still don't have any luck from plex, are there any solid sources for transcoding with miniDLNA?

You shouldn't have any problems with Plex and dockers. However, there is a learning curve and most of the resources you will find assume a fair amount of Linux experience and understanding of key Linux concepts.

--

• You shouldn't have any problems with Plex and dockers. However, there is a learning curve and most of the resources you will find assume a fair amount of Linux experience and understanding of key Linux concepts.

I initially had a lot of errors trying to add media to plex via the Volumes and Binds tab (the /srv/<mounted directory>/<media folder> option was not working. I had to add via Shared Directories.
    Seems to be working now, but that guide and any other sections have more information on configurations yes?

Thanks again for everything I really appreciate it!

• The best source for docker configuration information is the documentation provided with the image. Always read that first.

I use /srv/dev-disk-by-label....... for the Host path in Volumes and Bind Mounts. I never use shared folders there.

With the exception of the Plex docker, all /config Container paths point to a /home/username/.config/container_name directory.

--

• Is that due to privacy/share concerns? I could see how that would be something to avoid. If I wanted to change the settings to reflect the mount location and not the share, would that just be a matter of giving the docker/plex user access to the /srv/dev-disc/media directory? I'm not sure if this is made a little more complicated by the use of mergefs since I merged 2 discs.

• I place all the /configs in my user home directory because I want them all in one place and on a drive that will never run out of room. All the dockers run as that user and group. And all the media is owned by the same user and group. I never have any permission problems doing it this way. The /config for Plex is the only exception due to its size.

I use mergerfs, configured by hand, not via the plugin with the Plex docker without any problems. I have six disks merged for all my media, 24TB available, 17TB used.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!