SMB/CIFS share disappears from Windows network after reboot

• Hey everyone, new user and I love OMV. One thing I've noticed and I wonder if it's a bug or a feature - when I reboot my OMV server the SMB share disappears from the Windows network. However, it can still be reached if say I use the explicit path to the shared folder. In order to make the SMB share name reappear in Windows I have to disable then reenable the SMB/CIFS service in OMV. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong? Thanks. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

A lot of things can happen with Windows, but at least on my server I don't have that issue.

Search the forum and you will find some of the issues with SMB. You might also find one similar to yours.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One thing I've noticed and I wonder if it's a bug or a feature - when I reboot my OMV server the SMB share disappears from the Windows network.

What is OMV running on? Turn off Enable master browser in SMB/CIFS

• Don't reboot the OMV server.

Problem solved!

It's a new installation and I'm still making changes. After I get it the way I want it, I back it up with Clonezilla. When I boot the system again the SMB share has disappeared from my network. Then, I watch more videos, read about more plugins, add more stuff and back it up again. Reboot. Rinse. Repeat. ^^

• What is OMV running on? Turn off Enable master browser in SMB/CIFS

It's running on a HP Z400 with 16gb RAM, 32tb storage. Massive overkill, but it might take care of my storage needs for the rest of my life. <cough> I'm not as young as the average user. <cough, cough> Thanks for the suggestion, but I started with it disabled. After I noticed the SMB issue I enabled it. No change.

• I followed the instruction in the web page in my previous post. This video gives even more detailed instructions and I completed them, too. I found that in advance network sharing I had sharing turned off, even though the other computers could still see my shares. Hmmm

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I still don't see the OMV server after it reboots from my Windows wifi computer, however, a computer on ethernet does see the OMV shares. In order for it to show up on my wifi computer I have to disable then reenable SMB/CIFS on OMV.

So it's not a big deal. I understand it and can deal with it. I'll keep looking for a solution and if I find anything new I'll update this thread.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The laptop I'm using to control OMV is on wifi. The server is plugged into the router.

There's the problem in one sentence, I am not a believer in connecting anything to a routers ports, having used a few in my time. I have a powered switch anything on my network using ethernet is connected to the switch, then an ethernet connection from the router to the switch for internet access on the network.

• There's the problem in one sentence, I am not a believer in connecting anything to a routers ports, having used a few in my time. I have a powered switch anything on my network using ethernet is connected to the switch, then an ethernet connection from the router to the switch for internet access on the network.

I've never heard anything like that before. But the reason it's plugged into the router - beside the fact that the router has four available ports - is that the port on the router is gige. I have a oldish switch plugged into the router with some devices attached to it, but the switch is only 100mb.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never heard anything like that before. But the reason it's plugged into the router - beside the fact that the router has four available ports - is that the port on the router is gige.

My router has 4 ports which are supposed to be Gigabit ports, so have my previous routers but any network issue I have had has come from using those ports for my internal network.

• Hey everyone, new user and I love OMV. One thing I've noticed and I wonder if it's a bug or a feature - when I reboot my OMV server the SMB share disappears from the Windows network. However, it can still be reached if say I use the explicit path to the shared folder. In order to make the SMB share name reappear in Windows I have to disable then reenable the SMB/CIFS service in OMV. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong? Thanks. :D

let me guess you have openvpn installed on omv4?

if yes you can read this thread there is your answer Windows 10 Build 1809 und OMV Shares sind in der Netzwerkumgebung verfügbar.

short tun0 is killing wsdd.py functionality

• let me guess you have openvpn installed on omv4?
    if yes you can read this thread there is your answer Windows 10 Build 1809 und OMV Shares sind in der Netzwerkumgebung verfügbar.

short tun0 is killing wsdd.py functionality

No I don't. I do use a VPN but even when I turn it off (not just disconnect from the VPN, but quit the application altogether) I still can't see the OMV share.

I mapped the shared folders on OMV to drives on my computer and they are visible and usable after I reboot OMV for test purposes. I guess this will have to do. Apparently this is a Windows issue. I've researched it online and lots of people have this issue with the newest version of Windows.

• I turned off "Allow this server to try and become a local master server" (again) and now the OMV share is visible without having to disable/enable SMB/CIFS. I had done this before and the share didn't show up. But I made the changes listed in my posts above and hadn't turned off "Allow this server...". Now that I've turned it off with the changes I made it seems to be working. <knock on wood> If the issue comes back I'll update the thread.

I have to say this is a very friendly forum. You guys answered my questions and nobody said "you're posting in the wrong section" or - has happened on another forum - my post was just deleted. As I said, I'm new to OMV, but not computer and networking, and I didn't realize the forum had a SMB/CIFS section. I found it while googling for an answer to my issue.

By way of (late) introduction, I've been working on and with computers since the early '70's. IBM punchcards, PDP-11 paper tape, I worked on one of the earliest IBM PC's at a government agency where we used UNIX long before I was introduced to PC DOS. In my last job before retirement we used Sun Sparc workstations and Dell rackmount servers running CentOS. And on and on til today. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!