Software vs. Hardware Raid

• I have a ASRock C236 WSI motherboard wich supports 8 SATA disks. The C236 supports Hardware Raid.
    Big questions Hardware or Software Raid. If the board dies, I have to find the same borad, but is the performance mauch better with hardware Raid ?
    CPU is a Intel G4600T and I have 32GB reg ECC memory.

Thanks

Dieter

• Offizieller Beitrag

Big questions Hardware or Software Raid.

To use hardware raid you'll need the appropriate driver + how are you going to monitor the raid from memory OMV will see the raid as one drive.

If you were setting this up with MS server there would be software to monitor the drives within the array, not possible with OMV. For that reason software raid would be the option if you want to use a raid config.

• Your board supports ECC memory and you have a lot of them. Therefore think about using ZFS.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I have a ASRock C236 WSI motherboard wich supports 8 SATA disks. The C236 supports Hardware Raid.
    Big questions Hardware or Software Raid. If the board dies, I have to find the same borad, but is the performance mauch better with hardware Raid ?
    CPU is a Intel G4600T and I have 32GB reg ECC memory.

Thanks

Dieter

software personally just for the ease of if needed I can move the disks to any new system if board etc dies and omv will see it.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!