Openmediavaut Systems Crashed

• Hi:

I have a OpenMediaVault with 4 hard drives, one for the system and the other 3 for a RAID5.

Now my system disk has crashed, and I have reinstalled the systems. I can see that the system has found the RAID5, but I can't access data because the shared folders are missing.

How can I recover the shared folders from the old system ?, There is any configuration backup tool for backing up the system state for recovering it later in other systems ?

Thx

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I recover the shared folders from the old system ?

Recreate the shared folders using the existing folders in the filesystem.

There is any configuration backup tool for backing up the system state for recovering it later in other systems ?

No

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No

Hmm.. did I understand it correctly, there is no backup settings tool/pluging for OMV?
    How come?
    I havn't reasearch this question yet, but I think it's kind of 'must have feature'. I mean, this is really useful when you need to save/restore your OMV configuration.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmm.. did I understand it correctly, there is no backup settings tool/pluging for OMV?
    How come?
    I havn't reasearch this question yet, but I think it's kind of 'must have feature'. I mean, this is really useful when you need to save/restore your OMV configuration.

Correct. There was in OMV 0.2 but it didn't work very well. The backend database OMV uses (xml file) doesn't allow for a proper backup/restore. Volker has said with the move to saltstack in OMV 5.x, that he may create a backup/restore feature again.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi Ryecoaaron

Thanks first for making the OMV backup plugin and all your work. I had some nightmares restoring the last weeks but most of it was down to my specific configuration and I will share my experiences with the forum as I have made some progress, I did an Rysnc over a base install of OMV and I can now access the webgui with my old log in details. All my docker containers are running but all the plugins I installed do not show in the webgui. I can see the plugins under the Plugins tab as been in green and installed but I am missing the tabs to the actual plugins. Now that I have got so far I don't want to screw it up. Any help as to how to bring back the plugins without removing the underlying config files would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How come?

The current problem is that there is no relation between the plugin version and the data stored in the database by this plugin. The new configuration layer in OMV5 using SaltStack is one of many steps into the direction to support a config backup/restore feature. But the most important feature is the database that needs a infrastructure to migrate an older one. There is already a infrastructure available to migrate a the database content while upgrading a plugin version, but that will not help us here. To make it short, it is not trivial to implement a backup/restore feature and there are currently other topics on the todo list with much more higher priority.

• Hi Ryecoaaron

Thanks first for making the OMV backup plugin and all your work. I had some nightmares restoring the last weeks but most of it was down to my specific configuration and I will share my experiences with the forum as I have made some progress, I did an Rysnc over a base install of OMV and I can now access the webgui with my old log in details. All my docker containers are running but all the plugins I installed do not show in the webgui. I can see the plugins under the Plugins tab as been in green and installed but I am missing the tabs to the actual plugins. Now that I have got so far I don't want to screw it up. Any help as to how to bring back the plugins without removing the underlying config files would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATED: seems solved by running and installing upgraded packages. Will prepare a post on my whole backup experience.

• To make it short, it is not trivial to implement a backup/restore feature and there are currently other topics on the todo list with much more higher priority.

At least a limited configuration backup possibility would be really, really helpful, which e.g. only includes the configuration of the OMV base system (users + permissions, shared folders and shares etc.).
    So in terms of the extent of what is possible with OMV, as long as no other plugin is installed.

I understand that it is very difficult to support every possible extension of OMV with a configuration backup utiltiy. But for the @votdev-'development scope' it should be possible with bearable effort.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

At least a limited configuration backup possibility would be really, really helpful, which e.g. only includes the configuration of the OMV base system (users + permissions, shared folders and shares etc.).So in terms of the extent of what is possible with OMV, as long as no other plugin is installed.

I understand that it is very difficult to support every possible extension of OMV with a configuration backup utiltiy. But for the @votdev-'development scope' it should be possible with bearable effort.

This is very simple with OMV5. Copy your backup to /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and execute

Code
    # omv-salt stage run deploy
  • This is very simple with OMV5. Copy your backup to /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and execute

# omv-salt stage run deploy

Is this approach valid only for OMV5 or is this also applicable to migrate from OMV4 to OMV5?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this approach valid only for OMV5 or is this also applicable to migrate from OMV4 to OMV5?

No, only for OMV5 because there are some database changes done for OMV5.

But you can migrate a OMV4 database to OMV5 manually with

Code
    # omv-confdbadm migrate 5.0.14

for example.

!!! ATTENTION !!! you need to know exactly from and to which version to migrate. Please also note this is no official guide how to do it because there are still some things that might go wrong, especially if there are plugins installed. It's only a swiss knife for those who know what they are doing.

• the easyest and savest way to do backups ... dosn't matter which *nix or omv system running .. is dd ... as used in omv-backup.
    this is 40 years of proven backup strategy... and it works just in 40 years... you can do it on shell, by any Linux live Distro, from cd or usbbootstick or pxe, with the backup web plugin, clonezilla and acronis do the same...

#dd if=/dev/sda1 | gzip > /tmp/image.gz
    #gunzip -c /tmp/image.gz | dd of=/dev/sda1
    this is all you need to do full working backup and restore - on every Linux System. The first backups, the second restores.
    If you do a init 1 in the ssh shell before you dd your root disk, you are on the save way aganist open/variant files.

even you can backup/mirror between Servers...
    #dd if=/dev/sda|gzip| ssh root@target 'dd of=/tmp/image.gz'
    #dd if=/dev/sda|bzip2 -c| ssh username@servername.net "bzip2 -d > dd of=/dev/sdb"

It is not a good idea to backup only specific Software like omv... you will nerver try to backup single Office Word + Data on Windows....so why omv on debian? Rethink about your Software and Backupstrategy at first...

A second solution with a tiny footprint may be

#tar cJPf /var/backups/$(date +%F)-$(hostname)-etc.tar.z /etc/
    #tar cJPf /var/backups/$(date +%F)-$(hostname)-etc-omv.tar.z /etc/openmediavault/

as a daily or weekly cronjob. This will save 99,9% of system configs and help on misshaps during config via web.
    But this one do not save nessesary File System Structures so mounts may fail on recreation.
    Use it as a Library to compare changes in config files, suspicious configs and so on. You can do this backup with the cron-plugin. Use a second Disk as Datastore for your backups. Use both Methods and you never lost any config data. And last one... never trust yourself - test the backups before emergency happens! The loop device is your friend!
    You can use rsync local and via net for this too....
    My last attempt with fsarchiver gone wrong because the fsarchiver on Systemrecuedisk can't read encrypted Data form fsarchiver on debian... don't no why... but one more reason for dd.

Equipment: a few Computers, lot's of waste heat, little time and a Pile of work.

When solving problems, dig at the root instead of hacking at the leaves.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Rd65 () aus folgendem Grund: lost 4 linefeeds

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!