OMV with RPi3B+

• Hi,

I'm looking at getting a raspberry pi3 for two tasks...

One> advert blocking with pi-hole
    Two> NAS since my apple extreme wifi thingy deleted half the drive

so i have a couple of questions

1. can i run pi-hole on OMV ?
    2. is the pi3B+ up to the job? I'm not so worried about performance, so long as it can stream standard def mp4 files I'm happy (1gb/hour)
    What i do care about is not loosing data.
    3. what's the best file format for data integrity? (fat32/ntfs/ext3)

I've never touched raspberries before so simple is good :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Yes.
    2. Get a RPi4B instead. With a case that provides cooling. I like the FLIRC-case.
    3. BTRFS if you know it and actually can use the features it provides, otherwise EXT4. And backups!!!

If you don't have backups you will loose data, sooner or later.

It would be significantly simpler to use one RPi for pi-hole and another for OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

2. is the pi3B+ up to the job? I'm not so worried about performance, so long as it can stream standard def mp4 files I'm happy (1gb/hour)

• Yes you can, but there are several ways, inside and independent of OMV. @crashtest has a guide on installing Pi-hole.
    • Reserve the Raspberry for just Pi-hole and get an Odroid hc2 for a solid low-power server. @Adoby is the evangelist for this path. You should also check out the Nanopi M4 (a little pricey once you add the sata hat, heat sync, etc, etc) and the RockPro64 (also a bit pricey once you add the "extras"). There are several other good candidates for a solid low-powered NAS. Dig around the forum and you will find lots of ideas and advice.
    • I'm no expert on this (or much else, for that matter) but I think the consensus is ext4. It is the default when you set up OMV.

Best of luck.

• Offizieller Beitrag

• Yes you can, but there are several ways, inside and independent of OMV. @crashtest has a guide on installing Pi-hole.
    • Reserve the Raspberry for just Pi-hole and get an Odroid hc2 for a solid low-power server. @Adoby is the evangelist for this path. You should also check out the Nanopi M4 (a little pricey once you add the sata hat, heat sync, etc, etc) and the RockPro64 (also a bit pricey once you add the "extras"). There are several other good candidates for a solid low-powered NAS. Dig around the forum and you will find lots of ideas and advice.
    • I'm no expert on this (or much else, for that matter) but I think the consensus is ext4. It is the default when you set up OMV.

Best of luck.

In other words, since you are concerned about not loosing data, if you are going to do this the right way, you will need the Raspberry 3 for Pi-hole and at least two other devices, one for the main server, and one to back it up. Two Odroid hc2's stack on top of each other, and have one built in sata port each. A third disk can be connected with a usb enclosure and you have two backups. Check out this User Guide on page 63 and following for a sound backup strategy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've had no problem running Pi-hole, in a Docker, along with OMV as a file sever. (Pi-hole in a Docker is a very light hit to server resources.) I've also run pi-hole as a direct install on a really weak platform like an old R-PI2, running DietPi, with good results.

The R-PI4 has, without doubt, better hardware for a NAS when compared to previous versions, but the R-PI4 will be better supported with OMV5/Debian 10. OMV5 is currently in Beta, but may be out of Beta for X64 platforms soon. It may be a bit longer, after that, before the R-PI4 is supported with a new OMV5 image.

@Inyahin ; nothing more true, than the above, could be said regarding backup.

NAS since my apple extreme wifi thingy deleted half the drive

And this is a very good reason why. It's just a matter of time and it doesn't matter how stable your primary platform is. There's nothing more important than having a second full copy of data you want to keep. That doesn't mean you have to backup everything - just the data you really want to keep. In my case, I backup everything to a second platform.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!