OMV5 setup notifications don't work

• Hi have freshly installed OMV5.0.5 today and have a small problem,

i can't save the notification settings - i don't get a error msg on screen but the apply changes bar will show up again every time i hit accept.

have tried many different email servers/email combinations with the same result.

my syslog shows the following msg:

anyone has a clue how i can fix this?!? every thing else is working like a charm - including docker&portainer (man was hard to get into it but now its ok :) )

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am having a similar problem on OMV5, both on an Nanopi M4 and a Odroid H2. In my case the save is accepted. I just don't receive a test email. I have a main and a backup email listed and nothing comes to either email. I have done this numerous times on OMV4 installs without any issues.

This is my syslog:

Code
    Sep  9 16:06:39 m4omv5 rsyslogd:  [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.1901.0" x-pid="1452" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed
    Sep  9 16:06:45 m4omv5 postfix/pickup[24313]: 5576E27C510: uid=0 from=<root>
    Sep  9 16:06:45 m4omv5 postfix/cleanup[26214]: 5576E27C510: message-id=<20190909210645.5576E27C510@m4omv5.local>
    Sep  9 16:06:45 m4omv5 postfix/qmgr[24315]: 5576E27C510: from=<my.smtp.server>, size=418, nrcpt=4 (queue active)
    Sep  9 16:06:45 m4omv5 postfix/smtp[25757]: SMTPS wrappermode (TCP port 465) requires setting "smtp_tls_wrappermode = yes", and "smtp_tls_security_level = encrypt" (or stronger)
    Sep  9 16:06:45 m4omv5 postfix/pipe[26216]: 5576E27C510: to=<openmediavault-notification@localhost.localdomain>, relay=omvnotificationfilter, delay=0.14, delays=0.07/0.02/0/0.05, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via omvnotificationfilter service)

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

Post your settings. I just duplicated my omv4 settings and everything works well. I am using gmail which seems to work better than most.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not much to see. I have obfuscated my user name and emails. Like you I copied my omv4 settings. Just before posting this, I switched to gmail smtp and no different.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not using ssl/tls and using port 25. I'm also using charter's (my ISP) smtp server.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I'll be blessed. On a whim I changed the port setting to 587 and it worked like a charm. AT&T plainly specifies port 465 and I have four OMV4 machines currently running notifications that way. Thanks for poking me a bit to help get me there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now if I just knew what the messages meant.

• changing the port dosn't solve anything here, i will always get the php error - but only if i'm saving the notification setup...

other changes will be saved without problem...

always the same error in syslog:

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to collect the PHP error message from syslog. Without this info we can not identify which plugin or internal module raises the error.

• You need to collect the PHP error message from syslog. Without this info we can not identify which plugin or internal module raises the error.

what i have postet is the only error i get in syslog, have checkt the other logs (nginx) and there is nothing in them.

can i set php loglevel to verbose to get more log?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you post the output of /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json please.

You can also start omv-engined in debug mode:

Add OMV_DEBUG_PHP="yes" to /etc/default/openmediavault
    $ monit stop omv-engined
    $ omv-engined -d -f
    Then press the apply button in the UI.

After that there should be a line on stderr
    Deploying configuration for module 'foo'

before the daemon crashes.

• Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cat /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json
    [
        "cronapt",
        "postfix",
        "mdadm",
        "monit",
        "nut",
        "smartmontools"

hope you can find something

thanks in advice

• P.S. can you please re-post the output of /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json, you cut the output somewhere.

have attached the file as it is.

After doing another review i've found that might cause the problem, theoretical, but as said i never experienced any problem here.
    github.com/openmediavault/open…8a0c90a8890858695c4277444

have patched the file but it behaved like before - takes abt 1-2 minutes and then the apply bar comes back again immediately :(

have had never an problem with this - using the same credentials since ages...

//add.: have taken a look at postfix and it isn't even configured - the setupfiles are almost blank...

• Thx for the debug infos. Sadly i can not reproduce this behaviour nor do not i see anything in the code when i review it. This would make me wonder because the code is part of OMV since many years now and i never saw such an behaviour nor get reports from users.
    Currently i have no idea how to proceed.

@votdev this silly bug has bugged me so long that i have invested a few hours and i have found the cause of the problem.

as soon as i install the NUT plugin from plugins email doesnt work anymore and the apply loop begins!

have reproduced this many times on two different HP Proliant servers.

the NUT plugin doesnt need to be conf'd or active and the ups isn't even connected - an install of the plugin is enough to get the loop - so i hope you can find the problem bc i need the nut plugin ;)

//add.: after removing the plugin email loop is gone again :) so seem that this plugins kills something :D

• I'm also hitting this email notification settings issue on omv5
    And yes, I've got NUT installed* - I will uninstall it and try my email settings again. Thanks for the pointer.
    Do we know if the email notifications get broken, once set without NUT installed, by then installing NUT again?

* Also noticed that NUT is not producing any graph/stats on the system status pages. This was working for my UPS on omv2 (yes I've jumped a few versions :p ).

Thanks Antony

omv5 with SnapRaid / MergerFS working nicely.

• Do we know if the email notifications get broken, once set without NUT installed, by then installing NUT again?

have tried it on my testing device if you remove the plugin every thing works as long as you do not reinstall it!

if you reinstall the nut plugin its broken again...

no clue why i havent received any feedback from @votdev have also created a bugreport in the git repo no response also :(

https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/448

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!