Backing up USB Installation

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the easiest way to remove the the files that were copied to that drive?

Popping in an OS backup?

Other than that, probably WinSCP if you have it installed.

Other than the folders ZFS1 and Dockerparms (highlighted, they're part of my setup on this particular server), the remaining top level directories in an OMV4 boot drive are standard. Look for what doesn't belong.
    **But you might want to backup your boot drive, in case you make a mistake when deleting files.**

• Thank you for the awesome instructions. I was able to figure it out and run the scheduling, but I don't think it has finished successfully, yet. I get a long error list each time. I am running it again at the moment.

I decided to make this backup before I did the OS backup so unfortunately, I don't have a backup for the OS yet. If I am unable to get everything working I may chalk it up to gaining experience and reinstall. At the moment, I only have Nextcloud and Jellyfin installed. They should be easier to install the second time around.

It ended with an error again. I've pasted the code below minus the document names. My main raid drive is only 376GB and the drive I am trying to backup to is 2TB (seagate), but it only shows 74mb on the seagate drive. Meanwhile, the OS drive has now increased to 16.16GB. I attached a screenshot. I am using the following script. rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Raid1/ /srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-Seagate_Ultra_Slim_MT_NA95j42B-0-0part1/

• Offizieller Beitrag

/srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-Seagate_Ultra_Slim_MT_NA95j42B-0-0part1/

This is wrong, it should be using the same as the source the drive hasn't been set up correctly for OMV, un mount it, go back to disks and wipe it using quick wipe, back to file systems, create, select the drive give a label then format.
    I've just tested this with an external USB giving it a label USB, and the mount is /srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB

• Offizieller Beitrag

As @geaves has noted, you can avoid issues with a quick wipe, using a drive label, format, then alter the command line accordingly.

Unfortunately, there's no way to watch the progress of the Rsync Job other than the scrolling files list. If you leave that screen, or close the web page, the copy is still in progress, but you won't be able to pull it up again. If you really want to confirm progress, whether it's done, etc., the easiest way is to reboot and run the job again. (With the switches applied, a reboot is safe.)

Once the first bulk copy is done, follow on jobs are fast.

I may chalk it up to gaining experience and reinstall. At the moment, I only have Nextcloud and Jellyfin installed. They should be easier to install the second time around.

This is a good idea. Any long time user has rebuilt more than once. :) It's a learning process where, over time, users "arrive" at a good, clean, configuration for works for what they want to do. At that point, OS backup becomes more important due to the increasing complexity of the setup. Working builds can become an "evolution". A complicated build can take several hours to recreate and part of that is recalling/recreating how it was done in the first place. (Not to mention that OS backup can bail out a user, if they configure up something that is *BAD*. :) )

Give the backup sections a good read through. (Both OS and Data.) There may be a few bits of info in them you can use.

• This is wrong, it should be using the same as the source the drive hasn't been set up correctly for OMV, un mount it, go back to disks and wipe it using quick wipe, back to file systems, create, select the drive give a label then format.I've just tested this with an external USB giving it a label USB, and the mount is /srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB

After doing this, I was able to do the backup. Is there a way to view/delete the extra files that ended up on my os drive while in OMV or do I need to shutdown and stick the drive in my computer? My main OS is Manjaro.

Thank you. It is certainly a learning process. Luckily, when you tend to
    learn a lot when things go wrong. I think installation will go much
    faster when doing it a second time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to view/delete the extra files that ended up on my os drive while in OMV or do I need to shutdown and stick the drive in my computer? My main OS is Manjaro.

You should be able to use FileZilla but set the option to SFTP.

• I installed Filezilla on my computer (laptop) and tried to connect. So far it isn't working. Is there anything special I need to change. I enabled access of ftp and left it on port 21. I get the following error:

Code
    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
    Error:	Could not connect to server
    Response:	fzSftp started, protocol_version=8

I am running a VPN on this computer, but that hasn't caused an issue with anything else I have done.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed Filezilla on my computer (laptop) and tried to connect. So far it isn't working.

I've just installed FileZilla on my W10 and it works;

Host: sftp://<hostname or ip address> Username: root Password: <your root user password> Port: 22

Technically port number should not be necessary.

• Thank you. I got it to work. I realized that I was putting in the wrong port number-the one for ftp instead of ssh. Once I changed that it worked.

Looking at the folders that were supplied earlier, shared folders seems to be there. I also have "dev-disk-by-label-Raid1" which contains all those same folders again that are in shared folders. Considering I keep all the shared folders on Raid1, which of those folders shouldn't be there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So as far as I can tell, it looks like my shared folders have been copied to my os drive, they are supposed to be on the Raid1 drive so they shouldn't show up in / right?

No, you should see them under /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Raid1 and under /sharedfolders the sharedfolders being the 'bind' if there is anything under / then it shouldn't be there. But any folder under / will be the same name as the share you created.

• Sorry, I think my wording may have been kind of confusing. In the OS drive, I have a folder titled "dev-disk-by-label-Raid1". That is the one I can delete correct? It is about 12GB or so (probably about the size of what was accidentally copied there). All the same folders also show up in the shared folders directory which is the same 366GB that is one that drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I think my wording may have been kind of confusing. In the OS drive, I have a folder titled "dev-disk-by-label-Raid1". That is the one I can delete correct?

I hope not the last thing I want to do is to say yes and it's wrong, post the output of ls -l / post this using </> on the menu bar makes it easier to read.

• This is the list

• Offizieller Beitrag

This may be because I don't have a root account. Is there a way to run sudo within filezilla?

You be login as root through filezilla, I use winscp on W10 and similar to filezilla and that will allow me to delete, you could try rm -r dev-disk-by-label-Raid1 from the command line. I wonder if it's the name that's the problem, another option I use is cloud commander in docker never fails.

• Zitat von geaves

you could try rm -r dev-disk-by-label-Raid1 from the command line

This is what I eventually did.

When I installed OMV I decided to avoid the root account so logging in with root wasn't an option for me. Now that the files are deleted, I will install Clonezilla and try to clone the USB that holds the OS.

• No go on closing the USB drive holding the OS. Apparently the 2 new 32GB drives I purchased are slightly smaller than the current 32GB drive.

Is there a way to make this work, or should I just scrap the current USB and install on one of the new ones? That would allow me to have 2 backups (one I am currently using, and the one of the ones I just purchased)

• There is a setting in Clonezilla to allow cloning a larger drive to a smaller drive. Might work and if you haven't tried it, you should.

You could always use dd to do this. It might throw an error or warning at the point the copy runs out of room on the destination drive, but in most cases the data being copied is the empty space located beyond the actual content.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!