Backing up USB Installation

• OMV 4.x
    • New

There is a setting in Clonezilla to allow cloning a larger drive to a smaller drive. Might work and if you haven't tried it, you should.

You could always use dd to do this. It might throw an error or warning at the point the copy runs out of room on the destination drive, but in most cases the data being copied is the empty space located beyond the actual content.
      --
      Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV 4.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380
    • New

shockwave wrote:

Is there a way to make this work, or should I just scrap the current USB and install on one of the new ones?
      Win32diskimager will clone larger SD-cards to smaller cards if the "Read only Allocated Partitions" box is checked. This previously mentioned cloning process is in this -> guide under OS backup.

The post was edited 1 time, last by crashtest ().

• New

gderf wrote:

There is a setting in Clonezilla to allow cloning a larger drive to a smaller drive.
      the setting is called -icds
      It is used to enable/disable checking the size of the target drive before starting the clone process. Worked always for me, but others had issue with it.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • New

macom wrote:

the setting is called -icds
      It is used to enable/disable checking the size of the target drive
      before starting the clone process. Worked always for me, but others had
      issue with it.
      Thank you. This worked for me. I was able to make two copies of the os and then changed the settings for the USB plugin.

I am almost ready to seperate the two drives in the raid1. I was going to do one more rsync, but it seems the brand new Seagate drive I was backing up to has died. The disk turns on, but there is no light and the computer doesn't see it anymore. I may have one more drive that will work.
    • New

geaves wrote:

crashtest wrote:

would chime in with a safe way to break the RAID1 set.
      There isn't, none that I know of, you would need to rsync your files to the external, then break apart the array (this can be done in the gui) wipe both drives and start again. To begin, rsync back to one drive and set up your shares as the folder structure will be in place on the drive, then rsync to the second drive. Then set up a scheduled job for rsync from drive 1 to drive 2 in after hours, until it's all reset and running leave the usb alone at least you know you have a backup.
      I am not seeing a way to break apart the raid. Do I just remove the raid or is there specific separate option? Or remove one of the disks for raid, wipe it, create new file system, and then remove the raid and then do the same with it and then use rsync between the two?

The post was edited 1 time, last by shockwave ().

• New

shockwave wrote:

Can I just wipe it under discs and then create a new file system for it.
      The raid should be showing as clean/degraded, to remove the last drive and the array, delete SMB shares associated to the raid, delete any shared folders associated with the array, it must be done in that order, SMB -> Shared Folders then you can delete the array.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?