Looking for a Mini ITX motherboard to build a home NAS

• Hi to everyone,

I'm trying to build a home NAS based on Eolize SVD-NC11-4, a box with 4 hot swap bay or maybe a Silverstone with 6/8 bay.

I'm looking for a motherboard with these features:

- Support for almost 2 memory slot and 32 GB maximum ram
    - 4/8 SATA3 connections (6 Gbps)
    - 1 LAN GbE connection (preferably 2)
    - Enough processor power to support ZFS and video transcoding/streming through ethernet (Plex, DLNA etc)
    - Mini atx small form factor (10x10 cm) to fit the Eolize/Silverstone...

Do you have some advice?

Tnx in advance...!!!

• Just a clarification...You stated mini-ITX in the title and then say mini atx below. There really is no mini-ATX form factor (do you mean micro ATX?)
    Or do you really mean mini ITX? Mini ITX is 17 x 17 cm (6.7 x 6.7 in.) Micro ATX is 24 x 24 cm (9.6 x 9.6 in).

• Just a clarification...You stated mini-ITX in the title and then say mini atx below. There really is no mini-ATX form factor (do you mean micro ATX?)
    Or do you really mean mini ITX? Mini ITX is 17 x 17 cm (6.7 x 6.7 in.) Micro ATX is 24 x 24 cm (9.6 x 9.6 in).

You're right, sorry about my mistake.

It's a Mini -ITX board what I'm loking for...

• Hi,

where do you live? I'd give away an Asus P9D-I server board (https://www.asus.com/de/Commer…ervers-Workstations/P9DI/) for not so much. With an i3-4x30T and 16GB ECC ram it has power enough for all you are planning. I also could add an Asus U3S6 controller card, so there would be 4x SATA3 and 2x SATA2 ports over all.

Please PM if you are interested.

Best regards

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Hi,

guess it's the same with AMD and intel - the latter I know better: Real nice boards for NAS purposes with an embedded cpu are very expensive. Even on 2nd hand market, if someone 's there sell to them at all.

So I got used to look for older non-embedded server solutions like the board I use with my actual setups. The intel 1150 socket might not be the latest, of course, but at server level time goes by slower, and so I think, my setups are not so far away from cutting edge. At least not for my own NAS needs.

And costs are far below those for any of those nice embedded solutions. E.g. mainboard, cpu, ram and SAS controller of my main NAS were still below 250$ all together. Ok, they may not spec the low power of an embedded solution - although the Xeon E3-1220L is near that level - but I do not like to spend more than twice for the mainboard with an embedded cpu but still without ram, running my budget to it's end and leaving no money no more for a similar high end power supply that does not waist the spared powe. Or to say: For a NAS, I want to run 24/365, for me it is a must to choose a psu with at least 80+ gold grade. Just because lower grades by the time would eat up more than any power, my cpu, ram, chipset and extra controllers could spare because of ineffiency. And those psus cost as well. Only not so much more as a server level mainboard with an embedded cpu.

Btw there is a nice site out there listing all known 80+ certified power supply units, where I find and can compare all psus of interest:
    https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx

Hope I could help.

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Hi,

guess it's the same with AMD and intel - the latter I know better: Real nice boards for NAS purposes with an embedded cpu are very expensive. Even on 2nd hand market, if someone 's there sell to them at all.

So I got used to look for older non-embedded server solutions like the board I use with my actual setups. The intel 1150 socket might not be the latest, of course, but at server level time goes by slower, and so I think, my setups are not so far away from cutting edge. At least not for my own NAS needs.

And costs are far below those for any of those nice embedded solutions. E.g. mainboard, cpu, ram and SAS controller of my main NAS were still below 250$ all together. Ok, they may not spec the low power of an embedded solution - although the Xeon E3-1220L is near that level - but I do not like to spend more than twice for the mainboard with an embedded cpu but still without ram, running my budget to it's end and leaving no money no more for a similar high end power supply that does not waist the spared powe. Or to say: For a NAS, I want to run 24/365, for me it is a must to choose a psu with at least 80+ gold grade. Just because lower grades by the time would eat up more than any power, my cpu, ram, chipset and extra controllers could spare because of ineffiency. And those psus cost as well. Only not so much more as a server level mainboard with an embedded cpu.

Btw there is a nice site out there listing all known 80+ certified power supply units, where I find and can compare all psus of interest:
    https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx

Hope I could help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!