HDD Issues

• I didn't know where to put this, but i have a Dell Poweredge 2950 and have 6 sas drives that came with it. one drive is for the OMv os. the others i have in raid 5 throught the perc6 card, i have a pcie sas card in ti with 8 drives attached. the problem i am having is omv can see the drives but when i go to file systems to initialized them the only drives that show up are the os drive, and 5 sas drive raid configuration. In the list when i hit create, i have a list of all of them but when i create them it says complete but they never show up so i can mount them and use them. I have used this sas card in my previous server along with all the other drives. The only new thing i have is the 2950 and the sas drives, but it sees the sas drives. any help would be appreciated. No longer have errors that popup after i update. But the original problem is still there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you wipe the SAS drives?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• yes sas drives were wiped and omv installed on one of the six. Then the other 5 were put into a raid in the bios that way omv could see them, the problem is the hdd's hooked up to the pcie card. omv can see them but when i try to wipe them and set them up for omv it will go through the process and then it says complete it removes itself from the list, therefore i cannot mount it. the card is working cause i have 2 hdd's that were able to be added. I used this card in my previous server with all these hdd's minus the dell poweredge and 6 sas drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try wiping and formatting them from the command line (replace sdX with actual drive):

wipefs -a /dev/sdX
    mkfs.ext4 -m0 /dev/sdX

And yes, you can format a drive without partitions. I do it all the time.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• ok from command line u mean shell in a box or from the local machine. I'M sorry but i know very little about omv, i used if for the last couple yrs and watched the vids and never looked back now this lol. I appreciate all the help

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok from command line u mean shell in a box or from the local machine

shellinabox (yuck) is about the same as using the local machine. Connecting with putty via ssh is the way I do things. But all will work.

• shellinabox (yuck) is about the same as using the local machine. Connecting with putty via ssh is the way I do things. But all will work.

ok i am reformatting all drives and reinstalling omv. i will update when i get done and let you know if it works. thanks in advance

• Ok i have another problem, when i try to make a raid with the selected drives i get the following error that pops up.

Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l stripe -n 2 -N TVShows /dev/sdb /dev/sdc 2>&1' with exit code '2': mdadm: super1.x cannot open /dev/sdb: Device or resource busymdadm: ddf: Cannot use /dev/sdb: Device or resource busymdadm: Cannot use /dev/sdb: It is busymdadm: cannot open /dev/sdb: Device or resource busy in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/raidmgmt.inc(263): OMV\System\Process->execute()#1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceRaidMgmt->create(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('create', Array, Array)#4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('RaidMgmt', 'create', Array, Array, 1)#5 {main}

I have no idea what this means? any suggestions

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have no idea what this means?

The drive is either part of an array or mounted. I would reboot and try again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!