urbackup with OMV on RPi4

• I'm new here and apologize if this is in the wrong place or if I ask stupid questions. I'm trying to do what seems to be very simple; install OMV4 on RPi 4 and use urbackup to back up specified folders on my Windows 10 desktop. I got OMV4 installed using @TechnoDadLife videos. I also used his video to get urbackup installed. The backups were all going to the boot drive instead of the attached flash drive. Side note, I'm testing with a flash drive until I get everything set up and working, then I plan to get two powered external drives to set up a raid with the RPi4. I put the flash drive in my Windows PC and used DiskGenius to format as Ext4. Using shellinabox (Thanks again TDL) I was able to create the BACKUP and urbackup folder structure explained by @crashtest here: https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=148316#post148316

This is where I got stuck. I couldn't get the folder permissions set up correctly using Linux (I'm a Linux noob). When trying to CHMOD the directories as 755 I was getting Input/output error, then when I tried a couple different commands, I got 'Read-only file system' error.

I'm also a bit worried that even if I get the folders with the correct permissions and get the backups working, let's say I have a failure down the road and want to get my files BACK onto my Windows 10 PC...is that going to be really hard? Currently, when I put the flash drive in my Windows 10 PC, formatted as EXT4, it flips out a little bit and wants to format it. I'm totally open if there's an easier way to do what I'm trying to do here but couldn't figure it out with rsync, usbbackup, krusader, so thought maybe urbackup was the best option since it was the only one I could get relatively close with. Thanks for any help!

Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you're not sure of the command line, have you looked at WinSCP ? Install it on a Windows machine and use the servers IP address, root + password, to access your server. A few more details on WinSCP are in this -> guide, page 58.

With WinSCP, you shouldn't have any trouble setting permissions to be exactly as they are in this post.

I'm also a bit worried that even if I get the folders with the correct permissions and get the backups working, let's say I have a failure down the road and want to get my files BACK onto my Windows 10 PC...is that going to be really hard?

No. You'll have to figure out how the UrbackUp GUI works but restorations are easy. Restorations are way easier and faster than Windows Home Server ever was. It's a great package. Selective restores are easy, and full bare-metal restoration of an entire client hard drive works with minimal effort. (The full restore process is in thread you referenced. Read through it.)

The permission settings are about enabling the Urbackup package to access storage locations on the server. To do this, the package installs and uses a system user named "urbackup". You'll find that this is common with Linux server packages. Many of them install their own system users for file/folder access purposes.
    __________________________________________________________________________________

**Edit:
    - You may not be able to setup RAID over USB. I believe that had been disable because it's a bad idea.
    - PuTTY is a better alternative to Shell-in-a-box. PuTTY will still work if a server error condition exists and you can't get into the GUI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

**Edit:
    - You may not be able to setup RAID over USB. I believe that had been disable because it's a bad idea.

It is indeed disabled, you can do this via the command line and there are a number of 'youtube gurus' who go through how to do this, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it, but if goes wrong, fails etc, don't call use, we'll call you :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

- PuTTY is a better alternative to Shell-in-a-box.

Another alternative is powershell on Windows 10. No additional software needed as powershell is part of W10 (not sure if in all editions, though)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another alternative is powershell on Windows 10. No additional software needed as powershell is part of W10 (not sure if in all editions, though)

You can also use Command Prompt run as administrator ->ssh root@<hostname or ip address>

• Offizieller Beitrag

As a personal preference:
    One of the things I really like about PuTTY is that it does Ctrl+V (paste) from the clipboard, with a right mouse click. That makes copying and pasting something into the command line, from a remote client, a breeze. It's a bit more accurate for scripted installs and compound commands - no fat finger errors. This paste action also works inside command line utilities like nano.

Also, I have a few servers, a couple SBC's and few test VM's. There's something to be said for creating a menu list of all remote servers, with a double click to open the app and 1 more click to get to a login prompt. It gets you in pretty quick.

I don't know if other alternatives do that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One of the things I really like about PuTTY is that it does Ctrl+V (paste) from the clipboard, with a right mouse click.

You can do the same with cmd in windows, I used to use PuTTY when I used W7 but have stopped since using on W10, for editing conf files from within WinSCP I use Notepad ++ rather than the built in editor, but definitely not Notepad, I also have Wetty installed under Docker along with Heimdall. What makes Heimdall useful is that it's a menu front end for anything that requires and ip address or hostname to be typed in to a browser.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!