Netatalk

• malibu

Hello Malibu,

may i ask you about the part 2, the adjustment. I´m not that profesionall with linux, but my wife is working with a MacBook, so i have to make it work.

My NAS is called "Speicher".

The shares i want to acces from the Mac are:

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Seagate3TB/Dokumente

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SamsungNVMe500GB/Download

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Seagate3TB/Ebooks

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDNAS6TB/Filme

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDNAS6TB/Serien

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Seagate3TB/Software

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDGreen6TB/FotosVideosPRIV

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDGreen6TB/Musik

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDRED10TB/SandrasFotos

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-XPGNVMe1TB/Aufnahmen

My question now is:

- do i have to write it down like this in the confif file?

• ich hab es mit "diesen" einstellungen eingerichtet. Der MAC reagiert gut. Es läuft.

• I'm baffled that Apple made SMB default protocol. I mean, the added compatibility on networks with Windows machines probably clears up their feedback and support lines a lot, but when you're used to the lightning speed of AFP, SMB seems like your interfacing with a windows 98 machine over 100mb LAN.

Once a transfer gets going, the speed of SMB is only marginally slower than AFP. But the latency of directory listing is atrocious. Not to mention network discovery delays and phantom network drives hanging around in Finder than have dropped off the network. Its 2020 geez, why go backwards?

Can someone give a bit more detail on how to get this working in OMV5?

I assume SSH in and 'apt-get install Netatalk'. . What else needs to happen to place nice with OMV5?

EDIT: Bit of further research shows latest versions of SMB3 along with Catalina killing of NetBios *should* alleviate these issues, although I'm doubtful. I can still see a windows machine in Finder that hasn't been on the network since yesterday. Archaic is a word that springs to mind.

• Very old thread, but I just wanted to say how pleased I am to went back from SMB to AFP protocol. It might be really deprecated anytime soon, but meanwhile I am so happy with fast access to me NAS (Helios64). It's double the speed that I get with OMV6 and Samba shares. I just don't get it why netatalk is being abandoned for a protocol that does not work entirely well in the macOS universe...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just don't get it why netatalk is being abandoned for a protocol that does not work entirely well in the macOS universe...

Apple owns samba. You would think it would be better. Did you ever try nfs?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Apple owns samba. You would think it would be better. Did you ever try nfs?

Yep, I also tried nfs which was about the same as samba speedwise... For the moment I am happy as I don't want to do trial an error with modifying samba settings. To me it is just strange that it is such a huge difference - at least in my setup.

• Just to confirm that this is working with OMV 6 . Both the normal shares and the TimeMachine shares are working. I like it a lot because:

- I can easily set a quota for a Timemachine share!!!

- It is a lot faster than SMB, to list content of shares and reading content

- Easily enable or disable Spotlight for a specific share.

Here is my config file afp.conf

cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!