Netatalk

• I spun up a test of 5.0.5 to see what's changed and noticed that Netatalk doesn't appear to be included any more - doesn't show up in omv-extras either.
    Are there any plans to include it at a later date or am I destined for the CLI?

Thanks.

• Has anyone gotten this to work, and special setting to make SMB work?

Never mind, I see 5.05 now has a option in the SMB share to advertise time machine

Sumpermicro A1SAM-C2550F
    2xKingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory w/TS Hynix B Model
    16GB SSD for Proxmox
    64GB SSD for VM (OMV 2.2.13 & Win7 x64)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ams123 ()

• for example? Absolutely stable here.

By whom? Not by Apple.

AFP is preferred and recommended by everyone who ever used MacOS and OSX, cause you can and you will use special characters like " : ; / \ '"" ? * + # " in filenames!

SMB will not use those characters and in SMB and CIFS you are restricted in 256 characters where the description of the filepath must be included in counting!
    !

If you want to hide file towards SMB, just use any special character and it will be invisible!!!

Some programs and files like "oldstyle" fonts still uses the advantages of data- and programforks. If you copy those files over smb, you will lose those informations and the file will be around 0KB in size!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You seem angry over this. afp is deprecated (yes, I know you can still use it but you should transitioning off it). You can't even use afp on apfs formatted volumes. And wastlj is an OSX user.

I would guess most users don't put all those special characters in filenames or have super long filenames.

Feel free to port the plugin to OMV 5.x. Volker accepts pull requests - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault/openmediavault

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• AFP is preferred and recommended by everyone who ever used MacOS and OSX, cause you can and you will use special characters like " : ; / \ '"" ? * + # " in filenames!

lol.
    I´m using OSX. I have never seen the necessity to use such a special character in any file name at all. I was hoping for years that Apple switches to SMB to eliminate the AFP protocol. Since Timemachine can also use SMB I fully dropped it at home and for several clients. Never had any problems at all.

• I'm a Mac user too and really would like to stay using the AFP plugin.
    It allows me to set a nice icon (using the advanced settings) in the finder and only shows just one icon in the finder instead of a blue screen computer icon next to all the separate shares (see screenshots). Somehow Apple managed to change this behavior if you share via SMB on a Mac (SMB shares look the same as when using AFP and no extra computer icon), does somebody know how to mimic this behavior? That would only leave the nice icons to be desired.

• Those Mac mini's are actually real Mac mini's btw ;) OMV server is a HP Microserver Gen8, love this cheap little server with 4 drive bay's (pus an extra SSD as boot drive), iLO, 16GB memory and Xeon support.... Combined with OMV it's the perfect NAS server!

• I'm a Mac user too and really would like to stay using the AFP plugin.
    It allows me to set a nice icon (using the advanced settings) in the finder and only shows just one icon in the finder instead of a blue screen computer icon next to all the separate shares (see screenshots). Somehow Apple managed to change this behavior if you share via SMB on a Mac (SMB shares look the same as when using AFP and no extra computer icon), does somebody know how to mimic this behavior? That would only leave the nice icons to be desired.

I've got the icon part sorted by adding an extra service section to /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/avahiservices.d/smb (to make it stick after config updates):

<service>
    <type>_device-info._tcp</type>
    <port>0</port>
    <txt-record>model=Xserve</txt-record>
    </service>

And then modifying the SMB/CIFS service discovery item in the OMV 4 webUI under Network -> Service Discovery to reflect the same name as the AFP name (Home Server in my case).

I disabled "Browsable" under the SMB/CIFS Home Directory settings and added the following to the Advanced Settings text field part (in bold):

min receivefile size = 16384
    write cache size = 524288
    getwd cache = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    min protocol = SMB2
    vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
    fruit:metadata = stream
    fruit:posix_rename = yes
    fruit:veto_appledouble = no
    fruit:wipe_intentionally_left_blank_rfork = yes
    fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = yes
    disable netbios = yes

I also stopped and disabled nmbd just to be sure, since I'm not sure if disable netbios = yes is accepted:
    sudo systemctl stop nmbd.service
    sudo systemctl disable nmbd.service

Works like I wanted now... I left AFP enabled for my Time Machine share, but that won't be necessary anymore after upgrading to OMV 5 as I understood.

• I am a bit surprised that no one here mentioned the poor performance that is forced to come into our apple world when using smb instead of afp.

For example: I have a simple folder with a subfolder that contains two folders and a photos library. Navigating to the top level folder after connecting to the smb service, it now takes about 3-4 minutes to list the content (one single subfolder!!!!) as the implementation of the smb protocol still sucks hard at OS X (10.15.4 here, on a 2019 iMac). As far as I could research on this slow loading of network shares via smb it is due to caching behavior of OS X up to now.

This makes me to try to install afp/netatalk on OMV5. As this seems to be no option yet, I feel forced to downgrade to OMV4 again, which means a complete reinstall of a setup that ran for years now (the iMac is the new machine, I had an afp share in OMV4 running with a MBP before for a long term without any issues).

I'll place a pull request at the links you mentioned before, in hope Volker will port that beautiful afp Plugin, although it is officially deprecated by Apple.

Meanwhile: WastlJ, as I read you are an Apple user as well, do you know of such issues and maybe have a solution for that? Especially the lack in performance is a showstopper in my case. I would say in contrast to performance, icons and special characters are a niche requirement...

[EDIT]

What I tried to speed up that process so far is described here.

Other examples that document the lack of performance found on serverfault, reddit (discussion about jumbo frames), and many others that can be found on the net.

[/EDIT]

• I run OMV5 on an ancient armel NAS that still does the job. I've turned off the SMB encryption to help the CPU. Even then, the SMB performance is about half the speed of Netatalk (30 vs 60+ MB/s).

For that reason, I've decided to install Netatalk manually. The good news is that the installation is so simple the lack of a plug-in is no big deal.

Let's assume you have a running OMV5 with existing shared folder(s) with the correct access rights. All you need to do as root is:

1. "apt install netatalk" to install all the necessary packages

2. "nano /etc/netatalk/afp.conf" to create the configuration file. Below is an example config file to be adjusted based on your needs.

3. "systemctl restart netatalk" to take the new config into account

Done!

• I did that too, and imported the afp.conf from my OMV4 setup since it’s already all setup.

I also prefer AFP, it seems to have better transfer speed, and is more reactive with Finder, but that aside, it makes no sense to spend anytime on it.

- The last Netatalk update for Debian was in 2018...

- Airports, Xserves and OS X Server are shadows of a past long gone.

- iPadOS and iOS have no AFP support.

I think eventually we won’t be able to use it anymore.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The images with SMB x AFP speed test are attached.

Do you have any optimizations configured for SMB on your OMV system?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!