Rsnapshot backup with remote-mount

• Hi there
    I have been using OMV since a long time (the beginning of it :D:thumbup: )
    I have a small server hp ml110 g5 and omv has been working great since it was with omv 0.5, then omv 1.x and after that with omv 2.0 for many years.
    The os drive broke a few days ago and i installed omv 3 because 4 and 5 were throwing some errors at me. Yesterday i got another old computer, fujitsu with pentium 4xxx and 4gb of ram and i put there my backup drives.
    I used remote-mount plugin to mount the backup drives into main omv and then tried to backup the main drive with rsnapshot (have been using rsnapshot all the time and it has worked great too, when the drives were in the same computer). Tried remote-mount with samba but rsnapshot gave me permission denied and failed, same thing with nfs. Was able to remote-mount the backup drive in both ways but when rsnapshot started the backup was failing due to permissions.
    Is there a way to fix this permission problem ?( ? I set up same user on both computers with same password but no luck with that,tried to give permission to the user on the backup omv from the ACL and privileges but no luck with that either
    Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

• Well nobody cares to write and maybe my question was dumb, i searched a little bit and it seems that rsnapshot is made for local backup only, so im thinking of doing the reverse, ill use remote-mount to mount the shared source on the backup computer and then use rsnapshot there to backup that source. Hope it works this way.
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well nobody cares to write and maybe my question was dumb

After 3 hours you think this?

Tried remote-mount with samba but rsnapshot gave me permission denied and failed

You need to open up permissions or change the user that remote mount is connecting with. Personally, I would use rsync without remotemount - https://forum.openmediavault.o…3-Rsync-two-OMV-machines/

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• After 3 hours you think this?

You need to open up permissions or change the user that remote mount is connecting with. Personally, I would use rsync without remotemount - https://forum.openmediavault.o…3-Rsync-two-OMV-machines/

Sorry - been wake till i dont remember, with this problem, and maybe is that, but thank you for replying.

I changed permissions but it didnt work, so now i tested the other way around, i remote-mounted on the backup computer the source folder and after that i made a rsnapshot on the local backup drive and it worked without giving any failed or permission error.
    Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

sorry for reposting stuff, but the forum gives me an error after posting smth and it says contact administrators.

Read problem #4 here - https://forum.openmediavault.o…tions-to-common-problems/

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ryecoaaron sorry for reposting stuff, but the forum gives me an error after posting smth and it says contact administrators

Next time you get one of those errors just refresh your page and you will see that your message has posted after all. I made the same mistake numerous times the first six months I was on the forum.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!