Traefik Help

• OMV 5.x (beta)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Traefik Help

I am trying to implement Traefik as the reverse-proxy on my OMV server. All of the tutorials I have read assume you have a desktop environment on the Docker server and that port 80 is available. Neither is the case with OMV. I also cannot connect using the host header names (regardless of port used) from any machine. All of my connectivity is via mapped ports of the host IP address. I have three more NICs in my OMV server (Dell R710) but activating them is a fiasco. Guidance on the proper way to do this is appreciated. Docker-compose scripts would be a plus as I can use them as stacks in Portainer.
    • etrigan63 wrote:

I have read assume you have a desktop environment on the Docker server
      I don't see why you would need a desktop environment for anything.

etrigan63 wrote:

that port 80 is available. Neither is the case with OMV
      You can change the port that the OMV web interface listens on in the General Settings tab. Then the port will be free.
      omv 5.0.14 usul | 64 bit | 5.0 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.1.4
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Traefik Help

I am switching back to OMV 4 today as MergerFS is buggered on OMV 5. I will move the web GUI to a new port.

Regarding having a DE, traefik uses host headers to route requests to the appropriate container. For example, if I expose a Heimdall container on docker.local it should present as heimdall.docker.local and I imagine it would on the docker host. OMV users can't test that way. Docker supposedly has a dns function for this purpose but I have yet to experience it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    • etrigan63 wrote:

I am switching back to OMV 4 today as MergerFS is buggered on OMV 5
      In what way? I use it and it works fine. That said, OMV 5 is still beta.

etrigan63 wrote:

Regarding having a DE, traefik uses host headers to route requests to the appropriate container. For example, if I expose a Heimdall container on docker.local it should present as heimdall.docker.local and I imagine it would on the docker host. OMV users can't test that way.
      I'm confused. What does the desktop environment have to do with any of that? And why can't OMV users test that way? As long as docker.local resolves to the docker machine, the proxy reads the URL and directs to the correct container. This isn't a DNS function.
      omv 5.0.14 usul | 64 bit | 5.0 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.1.4
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Regarding OMV 5 and MergerFS, see this post: Error creating shared folder on mergerfs drives

Regarding Traefik, the entire point is that is doesn't resolve. Some key element is missing that everyone assumes works and such is not the case. My server is mechagon.local. I can ping it from my workstation (Linux) and it resolves to the host IP. If I type container.mechagon.local, 404. Everything I read says this should happen by itself and it does not. Also, I am not clear on how Traefik is supposed to interact with the other containers. Do they need to publish ports on the bridge? Traefik is supposed to have a public facing network but it is not working as expected. I need a TDL level set of instructions to make it work. Oh, and for the record, I can only get Traefik to deploy marginally correctly using Portainer stacks (docker-compose). The GUI way results in a borked container.
    • etrigan63 wrote: Docker supposedly has a dns function for this purpose but I have yet to experience it.
      [/quote]To work you need a new network for your docker ( need to docker network create) and add it to your dockers like --network nameofmyprevioslycreatednetwork

default bridge network do not resolve DNS names like nameofthedocker.

more info:

docs.docker.com/v17.09/engine/…he-default-bridge-network

docs.docker.com/v17.09/engine/…rking/work-with-networks/
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ; ctop
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • Traefik Help

raulfg3 wrote:

etrigan63 wrote: Docker supposedly has a dns function for this purpose but I have yet to experience it.
      To work you need a new network for your docker ( need to docker network create) and add it to your dockers like --network nameofmyprevioslycreatednetwork

default bridge network do not resolve DNS names like nameofthedocker.

more info:

docs.docker.com/v17.09/engine/…he-default-bridge-network

docs.docker.com/v17.09/engine/…rking/work-with-networks/[/quote]Yeah, did that. No change. Can only access via IP address.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk