Backup a live system

• AS GParted Live also comes with the backup plugin, would it be possible to use GParted to clone the system drive (ok its headless, two times a year one have to connect keyboard and monitor)?

GParted has a GUI and can be utilized by normal home users. Clonezilla is fine for software engineers, but for everyone using this tool every six month, it is a pain in...

Since I am using OMV, backup and restore is a neverending issue. I like the Landrover feeling of OMV, but sometimes the convenience of an SUV would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you think gparted is easier, use it. Normal home users can and do use clonezilla though.

Do you change your OMV config in a major way that often? If not, you don't have to worry about it that often. The data is what is important. If you are that worried about it, use the systembackup tab and worry about the restore IF you need it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I agree, the data is important and backups are mandatory.

Actual I have no backup of system, as I guess that installation from scratch is faster than dealing with old system-copies. But the more you play with plugins, container and virtual machines, the more demand is to save the setup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am always trying to think a good way to backup that is easy to restore. Using LVM is the best way I have come up with so far.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• First Install rear.

This is my /etc/rear/site.conf who make a boot Image (ISO) local and remote on the nfs share.
    The Data from the OMV Bootdisk wwill be written in a *.tar.gz on the nfs share.
    OUTPUT=ISO
    ISO_DIR=/media/3a645728-21b8-4317-9f28-552b64d7f9e7/ISO/
    ISO_PREFIX=ReaR_$(uname -n)
    BACKUP=NETFS
    BACKUP_URL="nfs://192.168.0.177/volume1/backup_local"
    WAIT_SECS=7200

This type of backup is very easy and you can use it in a running system (no reboot).
    I start the Backup over a little script. So i have from every day another backup.:
    tag=$(date "+%A")
    /usr/sbin/rear mkbackup
    mount 192.168.0.177:/volume1/backup_local /mnt
    cp -r /mnt/omv /mnt/omv_rear_backup_$tag
    umount /mnt

For a restore, boot the iso and rear will automaticly restore the data from *.tar.gz Archive.
    For OMV i use a HP micro Server with ILO. So i can do all this remotely.

--
    Marco

• Offizieller Beitrag

I started adding REAR to the plugin a while back but it (or I) had too many issues.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The biggest issue (at the time) was that I couldn't get it to backup to a local drive. Backing up to nfs or samba on the same server was an unacceptable workaround for me and not everyone has two servers.

• I have 1 HDD splitted in 2 pats:
    First for system ~15 Gb
    Second for media. ~215 Gb

When I go to System > Backup > System Backup I see only Second part of HDD that is 215 purposed for media.

Thus I can not do backup. How to make WEBgui show me all possible cases, i.e. also First part of HDD(~15Gb) purposed for system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It shows you the drives you can backup to not the drive you want to backup. So, I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you have more than one hard drive?

• $ sudo fdisk -l

Volumes showed in the list (System > Backup > System Backup) are:
    /dev/sdb1 63 732547934 2930191488 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 31250432 576172031 272460800 83 Linux

But system installed on:
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 31250431 15624192 83 Linux

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then it is working fine. The volumes shown are the destination. The plugin doesn't need you to tell it the OS drive location.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I didn't think that needed to be mention since Linux is always installed at / (root directory). It isn't like Windows where it could be installed somewhere else like the C: or D: drives. The plugin is probably going to change quite a bit for OMV3 anyway.

• I have a new smaller SSD and plan to install OMV 3 on it. Since the current drive is working and I had nothing to lose I decided to test the Backup plugin I have installed in Stoneburner.

I had chosen Install on the GParted tab and backed up my system drive and had done incremental backups after I had installed other plugins and made changes which would affect configuration. Choosing the Install option adds Gparted to the grub loader and makes it an option during boot.

I booted and let Gparted be my boot choice. Having GParted installed in this way is "Brain Dead" easy and does not involve "get apt" or whatever is the full command to get it installed and usable. Having it load this was is much better than booting GParted Live USB or CD.

I could find no way to do a restore from GParted. Maybe it can be done but the option did not jump out at me.

Based on recommendations regarding Clonezilla I booted back into OMV then went to the Backup plugin and chose to "Install" Clonezilla and did another incremental backup. Next I rebooted and chose the option to boot into Clonezilla.

The procedure to restore a backup has both an "Express" and "Advanced" choice. I chose the "Advanced" option and had no problems. I expect the "Express" will work well and be less stressful. The restore I did was over the top of an already functional installation which did not need restored. Good News nothing got broken.

Clonezilla, SyetemRescueCD, GParted, and Parted Magic each will configure the grub loader if you choose "Install", so that during boot for each of them as well as booting into OMV will be options. This is a neat trick to get the ISO file for these programs installed without command line commands needing to be used. I rarely but occasionally need GParted and probably even rarer need to restore a backup which Clonezilla does well but I now have options I did not have before.

When I reinstall I will install the Backup plugin and choose "Install" GParted because it works better installed than it does from GParted Live. Just in case I need it in the future. I will next hit the "Install" button on Clonezilla and do a System Backup and incremental backups when I have installed plugins or made changes that should be included in the backup ... such as when there are updates which have been done through Update Manager.

By the way the description of the Backup Plugin on the Stoneburner plugin page does not tell you as much as the OMV 3 plugins page tells you about the Backup Plugin but the description appears to be valid for both Backup plugin versions.

The following is a quote from the OMV 3 page so you do not have to hunt it down. Pay particular attention to the Description. It save some confusion and make using the plugin easier.

Openmediavault-Backup
    Latest version: 3.3.1
    Repo: Erasmus
    Maintainer: openmediavault-plugin-developers

Description:
    backup plugin for OpenMediaVault. This plugin will backup the entire OpenMediaVault system minus data drives for restoration in emergency situations. . Install and boot from Clonezilla for backup/restore purposes. . Install and boot from SystemRescueCD for utility purposes. . Install and boot from GParted Live for utility purposes. . Install from shared folder and boot from Parted Magic for utility purposes. . Recovery accidentally deleted files using Photorec and/or Extundelete.
    Source: Bintray
    Reviews: Bintray

I hope this is useful and welcome comments and questions. I may not have answers but will try to research and provide answers if I can.

OMV 2 |64 bit|

Your Test Results are back: You are Granted License to Own a Computer But Your Recent Score Does Not Allow For You To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to it.
    You may study and retake the Exam ... If your score is sufficiently improved the License may be upgraded to allow for Mouse and Keyboard Connection.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Very nice writeup but unfortunately, I changed a few things in the latest OMV 3 plugins. The backup plugin only does backups now. Since omv-extras had many of the grub functions already included and installation of backports kernel (another grub option), I moved the ISO installations (clonezilla, gparted live, and systemrescuecd) to omv-extras. The work in pretty much the same way though.

• Any idea when v3 will go live?
    I can not play with beta, I only have one server.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!