Best choice to upgrade

• Hello OMV-Community,

I use OMV 4 on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ with 2 USB-Stick for personal data (~80GB) and a 2TB HDD for media (~1TB of music, videos, pictures). I use the in build Plex addon and in the built in docker I am running my smarthome (Home Assistant, Mosquitto, etc).

But now I want to upgrade this "NAS", one reason is, when one of the storage dies, its gone. I do backup of my personal data every 2-XX weeks ( :whistling: ) and this is to risky for me, now.

What I want?
    I don't know so much over NAS-Systems, but what I know for I backup I need a RAID 1 to mirror on storage. I want my Personal Data and my media on one Storage (3-4TB HDD) for RAID 1 backup.

What is the best system for this?
    The Raspberry Pi 4 got USB 3.0, so it is smart to put 2x 3-4TB NAS-HDD on this USB-Ports? Or is a mini-ITX build the way to go?
    I don't really have a price limit, but it should be not to expensiv :D

Greetings

• Offizieller Beitrag

A nice first step could be to get a 4GB RPi4, a GbE switch and a good BIG external HDD for backups.

Don't use RAID. RAID is nice if you REALLY need >99.99% uptime on a web site or big corporate server and have staff that can quickly fix broken drives. But for home use I would argue that it is worse than useless. You still need some form of backup and RAID with many HDDs means stuff will break MORE often. It is very easy to setup RAID, but when it breaks you are on your own, with the command line.

With RAID and no backup, if you delete a file by mistake, it is gone. At once! If some user or software error cause a lot of files to be deleted or corrupt, they are gone. At once! If you don't have backups you WILL loose data!

You can configure OM to automatically backup one HDD to another at regular intervals. You can even setup automatic daily (hourly) snapshots so that you have multiple copies of the source drive on the snapshot drive. And since the snapshots re-use unchanged files so you can store many daily, weekly and monthly snapshots and only the changes and additions between snapshots takes up extra space.

Even if you later for some reason decide on a more powerful NAS, a RPi4 with OMV and a big HDD will work fine for backups.

I prefer few BIG expensive HDDs rather than many small cheaper HDDs. I use big 12TB drives with several small SBC OMV NAS, each comparable to a RPi4 with a good SATA interface. I use my SBCs in pairs. The first in the pair for sharing on the network, the other for backups of the first. You could do something similar with two RPi4 or one RPi4 and the RPi3. Or some more powerful NAS box(es), if you need it.

NAS boxes are cheap. It is the HDDs inside them that are the real investment. Get the biggest bestest HDDs you can afford. I just ordered two 16TB Exos X HDDs. I doubt I will ever buy any new (spinning) HDDs smaller than 16TB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To back up my data automatically?

:) The answer is in my signature, but setting up a raid on usb is simply a bad idea.

Use 2 USB3 powered drives, use one for your data and the other to run rsync to copy your data from the first drive, that way if one drive fails it's easy to recover. Rsync can be run as a scheduled job overnight and you set it to receive emails.

• :) The answer is in my signature, but setting up a raid on usb is simply a bad idea.

you got me ;)

Use 2 USB3 powered drives, use one for your data and the other to run rsync to copy your data from the first drive, that way if one drive fails it's easy to recover. Rsync can be run as a scheduled job overnight and you set it to receive emails

I will try it!

And for my plan, the Rpi4 is the way to go. With 2x 3.5"HDD in a USB3-Case?

• Offizieller Beitrag

And for my plan, the Rpi4 is the way to go.

The Pi4 has improved and caught up with other SBC's, there is a Pi4 image for OMV, but some are experiencing mixed results, this channel has been doing some testing regarding the Pi4's overheating.

With 2x 3.5"HDD in a USB3-Case?

If you are referring to the ones where you can put in 2 drives and they have their own raid controller, these have been designed for Windows, will it work on Linux, technically yes, but the raid option will not, they will be seen as 2 drives. But using something like that you are restricted by the USB throughput, better to have 2 separate drives, USB3.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have my RPi4 in a flirc case and it helps the temps but I don't think the RPi4 should be the first choice for a NAS. I have a lot of SBC boards and I would still pick the Nano Pi M4 with sata hat over all the others.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you are referring to the ones where you can put in 2 drives and they have their own raid controller, these have been designed for Windows, will it work on Linux, technically yes, but the raid option will not, they will be seen as 2 drives. But using something like that you are restricted by the USB throughput, better to have 2 separate drives, USB3.

I mean two of this https://www.raidsonic.de/de/index.php?we_objectID=3876 , its like a external Harddrive-case.

I have my RPi4 in a flirc case and it helps the temps but I don't think the RPi4 should be the first choice for a NAS. I have a lot of SBC boards and I would still pick the Nano Pi M4 with sata hat over all the others.

Never heard of this board before, but it looks like it is perfekt for a NAS-System! I'll think again.

But big thanks to everyone here!

• So, I saw this build here in this forum and I slept over it and my conclusion is, I want to do it like this. With a NanoPi M4 and SATA-hat.
    But, I have some question, it is smart to use a SD-card for the OS, because there is an option to use a eMMC Module and frauhottelmann is using a SSD instead.

What is smarter a 2GB or 4GB board? I would use OMV, in Docker: Home Assistant with all my Plugins, Plex, Nextcloud and what the future is bringing ;)

There is a NanoPi M4v2, this one got 4GB LPDDR4 Ram and coast 5$ less than a v1 4GB, when it comes to a 4GB board, is this the right choice?

Thanks for the idea and the help ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

is this the right choice?

That is a good choice.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von @Dyfcom

there is an option to use a eMMC Module

You cannot add or remove the eMMC module without first removing the Sata hat. Stick with an SC-card. You will love the M4.

• Adoby, are you using the Odroid HC2 with the 16TB Exos X HDDs? I thought the HC2 was limited to 12TB drives.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of the HC2's & using one for shared storage & one for backup like you but am nervous about the SATA being USB-based. Any issues with them? Especially when both are used at the same time (backing up from 1 to the other?)

Thanks,

PS: Wish there was a version where the SATA was PCIe-based w/10GbE

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I have two HC2 running with 16TB Exos X drives. Works fine!

It takes my current "storage strategy" to the extreme: Several tiny cheap (relatively) SBCs running OMV, each with a single huge expensive HDD, connected together via nfs, autofs and GbE.

32 bit ARM is limited to 16TB filesystems. So I assume if I get an even bigger HDD, in the future, I will have to partition it so no partition is bigger than16TB. But I don't think there would be any problem using a
    even bigger drive with HC2.

That said, I will (I think) stop my HC2 spree at 9 units. I have 6 stacked 3 high in the bookshelf today. 3x3 would fit OK and the 12 V PSU should manage that. And I may start looking at other alternatives. RPi4 is nice, but feels clumsy with need for USB and both 5V and 12 volt PSU.

HC2 is really nice! But I would like a HC3 with 64 bit ARM, >=4 GB DDR4 RAM, USB3, dual SATA3 and a slot for NVMe. Perhaps even dual GbE and/or 10GbE. I suspect it will come, but it may be a few years and it will use something better than USB3, SATA and NVMe.

I use rsync to snapshot between the HC2. I don't get 100MB/s speeds, rsync is slower than a straight copy. I run my snapshots nightly at around 02:00. And typically they are finished 5 minutes later. If I added a lot of files or restructured folders it may take some hours to sync. A full 16TB HDD takes a looong time to rsync over GbE. It helps a lot if you plug in the drives to a Linux PC and rsync over SATA directly. Then what could take days is done in hours.

• Offizieller Beitrag

32 bit ARM is limited to 16TB filesystems. So I assume if I get an even bigger HDD, in the future, I will have to partition it so no partition is bigger than16TB. But I don't think there would be any problem using a
    even bigger drive with HC2.

xfs, zfs, and I think btrfs support larger than 16tb filesystems on 32 bit systems. And basically if a system supports a 4tb drive, it should support much larger.

• Adoby, one more question on the HC2:

I notice it doesn't seem to have an on/off button. Do you keep your drives connected running all the time? Or do you put them to sleep & then wake the with WOL? How do you handle that?

Thanks,

• Offizieller Beitrag

In my case the HC2 is running 24/7. The drive spins down after 30min. This is done by the USB-SATA Controller. You can set the time by flashing the firmware
    https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update
    Factory setting is 2 min, which seems to be a bit short.

AFAIK the HC2 does not support WOL.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also do as @macom: My HC2 are all running 24/7. But I have my HDDs set to spin down after 2 hours.

In OMV (and Linux) there are tools that let you automatically run tasks at certain times. I have my HC2 running automatic unattended backups at around 02:00 every night. So they spin up, run the backup jobs, and later spin down again.

One reason why I like ARM and the HC2 is that it doesn't use a lot of power.

I haven't tested WOL with ARM or HC2, but I have seen it mentioned that it does not work.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!