omv-firstaid won't change web admin password

• Tried to log into the web gui today and was told my username or password was incorrect. Tried the usual stuff, no luck. I'm certain I didn't change my password since the weekend, but decided to just do a re-set with omv-firstaid and be done with it.
    When I try to execute the control panel admin password change, I get the following error.
    Updating control panel administrator password. Please wait ...
    ERROR: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; usermod --password '$1$wITgGd9N$iASwhljseorIBYRc.f5hx/' admin 2>&1' with exit code '1': usermod: cannot lock /etc/passwd; try again later.

I did find this thread with a similar issue, but the steps listed there don't work for me. https://forum.openmediavault.o…update-OMV-on-raspberry2/

Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but the system seems sluggish.

Any ideas?

• Oh. How do I check that?
    It's a 150GB ssd.

EDIT: ran the df command and this was the output.

So looks like my boot drive sda is 4% full.

• Ah I see what you did there. You searched just for the relevant part of the error message. My eyes glazed over as soon as I hit the Path=/ part so ended up just searching for the whole string.

Last night I got impatient and re-started the server and that resolved it. For now. I'll check those search results if it happens again and try the mentioned strace -f -e trace=file command.

• So the same thing has happened again. First noticed today that I couldn't access the network file share, and then couldn't log into the web GUI.

I tried to follow the instructions from the results in @votdevs post, but had to install strace first. When I tried to install it, I get the following error.

Tried running apt-get update, but again got a ton of errors ending in (30: Read-only file system).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sonofwatt () aus folgendem Grund: Speeeling

• I manged to get the logs. Couldn't use less command since it wasn't installed and couldn't add it with the system in this state, so ended up using WinSCP to log in and download the logs. Seems like an awesome app for novice users like me.

@votdev What should I be looking/searching for in the logs?
    I don't really want to post them, but I'm game to send them directly to whoever is willing to take a look.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I manged to get the logs. Couldn't use less command since it wasn't installed and couldn't add it with the system in this state

You can use the already installed tools cat, more, nano, head or tail.

What should I be looking/searching for in the logs?

Something like that

Code
    Mon Day time Servername kernel: ext3_abort called.
    Mon Day time Servername kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda1): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
    Mon Day time Servername kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
  • You can use the already installed tools cat, more, nano, head or tail.

Ah ok, good to know. Thank you.

I searched multiple log files, but got no match for any of those terms. Tried, ext, ext4, filesystem, read-only and some other variations. Only 'abort' returned 1 match. Interestingly it's near the end of the log. Nothing has been added in 5 days to the log.
    Here's a snippet from the end of the log up a to the abort command.

• yes, reboot and recheck, this time must be mounted on RW if not chkdsk disk to find the problem.

PD: Wen a fail in boot disk happens, the next time of reboot the OS is mounted on Read-only until the problem is solved.

• Thanks for the reply @raulfg3. After a reboot the system works as expected, with the boot disk in RW. After a few days, it then gets locked in read-only again.
    What's odd is I can't find anything related to this in the logs.

I will do a chkdsk to be safe, and report back.

• I tried to use the forcefsck file method to make the system use fsck on boot. It scanned 3 of my other drives, but not the boot drive, also seems to have skipped with 2 others. Not sure why.
    I checked fstab and sda1 is set to 1. For some reason there are no fstab files for the other drives.
    I followed this tutorial https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2016/03/forcefsck-on-reboot/ And during that noticed my boot drive wasn't set to auto-scan with fsck ever. Tried initally running the command tune2fs -c 1 /dev/sda but it kicked out the error "Found a dos partition table in /dev/sda".

I then noticed in fdisk that the drive is showing as having a "disklabel type" of dos. Is that normal? (full output below)

I then was able to set the scan interval to 1 with tune2fs -c 1 /dev/sda1 I guess the 1 is needed. But even then, after a couple reboots, the output from tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep -i check shows a last checked date from months ago.

Also I noticed earlier after a few hours of rebooting the system the 1st time today, using WeTTy was really sluggish. After rebooting just now, it's back to normal speed. I did check the system resources and before the restart CPU was at 2% and used RAM at 6%. Not sure what's going on there.

• I tried to use the forcefsck file method to make the system use fsck on boot. It scanned 3 of my other drives, but not the boot drive, also seems to have skipped with 2 others. Not sure why.
    I checked fstab and sda1 is set to 1. For some reason there are no fstab files for the other drives.
    I followed this tutorial https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2016/03/forcefsck-on-reboot/ And during that noticed my boot drive wasn't set to auto-scan with fsck ever. Tried initally running the command tune2fs -c 1 /dev/sda but it kicked out the error "Found a dos partition table in /dev/sda".

I then noticed in fdisk that the drive is showing as having a "disklabel type" of dos. Is that normal? (full output below)

I then was able to set the scan interval to 1 with tune2fs -c 1 /dev/sda1 I guess the 1 is needed. But even then, after a couple reboots, the output from tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep -i check shows a last checked date from months ago.

Also I noticed earlier after a few hours of rebooting the system the 1st time today, using WeTTy was really sluggish. After rebooting just now, it's back to normal speed. I did check the system resources and before the restart CPU was at 2% and used RAM at 6%. Not sure what's going on there.

• If you're certain that the boot drive is the issue, I'm game to buy a new SSD and do a fresh install. I'm desperate to get this up and running reliably. At this point I'll try just about anything.

I'll do the LiveUSB boot/scan and report back.

Here is the SMART info for this disk:

• Yeah it's a young drive, and all the numbers look good.

Woke up to this happening (image link) on my system this morning. I left a monitor attached, so this may have happened before and just didn't see it.
    Also as usual the GUI had locked me out again, but could still access via putty.

What other steps can I take to diagnose this issue?

• try to boot without VGA Attached , perhaps your Radeon VGA have some problems and reboot your NAS.

Once your NAS it's installed no need to have a VGA unless your NAS need one to boot

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!