OMV, proxmox and Green IT

• Hi
    I continue to prepare my migration from OMV to Proxmox with OMV as VM, and I have a question for the clever guys (you! :) ) who are already using OMV+proxmox.

Proxmox has no option in its GUI to set any powersaving feature. It even runs the performance governor by default. So, for a home server (expected to be idle 70% of the time) where 'Green IT' and power consumption matter,
    - have you looked at how much power OMV+Proxmox consumes versus OMV alone, notably when idle?
    - is there anything you change to lower power consumption?

Just for info, my OMV box (Ryzen 2700, 16Go RAM, 4 active SSD and one mostly-sleeping HD) consumes 27W at idle at the wall and 70W at full load (real power, with cos phi : 41W / 80W).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't looked at this but my server is always busy. I would try changing the governor but most power saving ideas probably would negatively impact running VMs.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I run a proxmox 3 node cluster with several OMV vm's and one freenas VM.

My nodes are all dell: one R720xd and two R620's (All my OS disks and disks used for VM's on the hosts are SSD's / NVMe)

My systems run 24x7, but I am also a little concerned about power usage, so I do the following without really any noticeable performance issues.

- on the proxmox host I change the governor from performance to powersave, this does the most with a 20 to 40 w drop
    - my OMV VM it is a little more complicated:
    - I have 20 disks running in a separate disk shelf connected through LSI 9300-8e; The HBA is passed from the proxmox host to the VM (PCI passthrough), which allows the OMV vm to see the disks directly and have full control. I have the disk set to go to sleep through the smart setting within OMV, which saves a little power.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!