FTP won't start/buggy start

• OMV 5.x (beta)
    • FTP won't start/buggy start

Hey there!

When I first try to start the FTP server I get this error:

Brainfuck Source Code

1. Fehler #0:
      2. OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run proftpd 2>&1' with exit code '1': debian:
      3. ----------

When I try to start it the second time it somehow starts but TLS is not working. I get this error on login:

Source Code

1. Status: Verbinde mit xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx...
      2. Status: Verbindung hergestellt, warte auf Willkommensnachricht...
      3. Antwort: 220 ProFTPD Server ready.
      4. Befehl: AUTH TLS
      5. Antwort: 500 AUTH not understood
      6. Befehl: AUTH SSL
      7. Antwort: 500 AUTH not understood
      8. Fehler: Kritischer Fehler: Herstellen der Verbindung zum Server fehlgeschlagen

Also the FTP server doesn't start on it's own when I reboot OMV. The "running" dot stays red in the system info tab.
      The server is running 5.0.8-1 with all updates.

Need help! Complete linux noob here.(first time ever) :/

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheBadFrag ().

• You've hit a bug. Will be fixed in openmediavault 5.0.9, see github.com/openmediavault/open…9289fd93ea441c3e2758cdf53.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • Note, i only got it running after i've enabled 'No session reuse required'. See stefankonarski.de/content/gelo…te-nicht-empfangen-werden.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• Just installed the new version.

TLS works now but the server still doesn't start on it's own.
      When I start it by hand it still gives me the same error on the first try. On the second try it starts.

After OMV reboot the red button is still there in the dashboard and I can't connect. :huh: I have to deactivate and re-activate to get the FTP server online.
    • Well, you aren't going to see anything about it in the SSH tab.

You can configure SFTP by hand in the SSH tab under Extra options, this is how I do it, but it takes some experience or to be willing to learn this.

Since the SFTP server is running automatically by default, you can connect to it using login credentials for any user on the system without doing any configuration in Extra options. This would allow you to navigate the entire filesystem, but not be able to read or write to large areas of it unless connecting as the root user - bad idea unless you have very good reasons and you know what you are doing.

Or you can use the SFTP plugin, but that will still require some knowledge of what it is you are doing and it will restrict access to a specific shared folder only. I don't use this feature myself.

It all depends on what you really want to do with this.
      --
      Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV 4.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380
    • I use the FTP server to share data with all my friends so I need to be able to set permissions for each user differently. I need to control bandwidth usage as well.

When I can find a tutorial about that SFTP on SSH I give it a try and see if I can make that work. The last 16 years I only run Windows servers so all this linux console stuff is quite hard to learn. ^^
    • TheBadFrag wrote:

When I start it by hand it still gives me the same error on the first try. On the second try it starts.
      Can not reproduce this. Can you provide more information, e.g. syslog output or something else that might help to identify the problem.

Can you please post the whole output of the command

Shell-Script

1. # omv-salt deploy run proftpd

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• What should I look for in the syslog?
      This here is the whole syslog:

Source Code

1. Sep 20 00:00:01 Server3 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.1901.0" x-pid="1030" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed
      2. Sep 20 00:00:01 Server3 systemd[1]: logrotate.service: Succeeded.
      3. Sep 20 00:00:01 Server3 systemd[1]: Started Rotate log files.
      4. Sep 20 00:01:33 Server3 chronyd[1054]: Source 2a02:908:4b44:bbc0:e228:6dff:fe40:91ba replaced with fd00::e228:6dff:fe40:91ba
      5. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: Started /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f proftpd defaults 99.
      6. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: Reloading.
      7. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/smbd.service:9: PIDFile= references path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/samba/smbd.pid → /run/samba/smbd.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.
      8. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/nmbd.service:9: PIDFile= references path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid → /run/samba/nmbd.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.
      9. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/rpc-statd.service:13: PIDFile= references path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/rpc.statd.pid → /run/rpc.statd.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.
      10. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: run-ref451f9af4ad46cb946f922fbbd40783.scope: Succeeded.
      11. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: Started /usr/bin/systemctl restart proftpd.service.
      12. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: Stopping LSB: Starts ProFTPD daemon...
      13. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 proftpd[4919]: 127.0.1.1 - ProFTPD killed (signal 15)
      14. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 proftpd[4919]: 127.0.1.1 - ProFTPD 1.3.6 standalone mode SHUTDOWN
      15. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 proftpd[11891]: Stopping ftp server: proftpd.
      16. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: proftpd.service: Succeeded.
      17. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: Stopped LSB: Starts ProFTPD daemon.
      18. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Starts ProFTPD daemon...
      19. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 proftpd[11908]: 127.0.1.1 - ProFTPD 1.3.6 (stable) (built Tue Jul 23 2019 18:20:14 UTC) standalone mode STARTUP
      20. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 proftpd[11899]: Starting ftp server: proftpd.
      21. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: Started LSB: Starts ProFTPD daemon.
      22. Sep 20 00:03:41 Server3 systemd[1]: run-rd13ded14ac0b4090bba0bf8b95aa0d30.scope: Succeeded.
      23. Sep 20 00:08:43 Server3 postfix/postdrop[11957]: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or directory
      24. Sep 20 00:09:01 Server3 CRON[12009]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php/sessionclean ] && if [ ! -d /run/systemd/system ]; then /usr/lib/php/sessionclean; fi)
      25. Sep 20 00:09:01 Server3 systemd[1]: Starting Clean php session files...
      26. Sep 20 00:09:01 Server3 systemd[1]: phpsessionclean.service: Succeeded.
      27. Sep 20 00:09:01 Server3 systemd[1]: Started Clean php session files.
      Display All
      I attached the omv-salt as .txt because is was over 10000 :D
      Files
      • omv-salt.txt

(20.83 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
    • Ok I just did a fresh reboot. Now the FTP is on "red" again and not started.
      I attached the syslog.

I also attached the full errorcode after the first start.(by hand)
      Files

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheBadFrag ().

• Looks like there is issues at reboot, proftpd doesn't ship with a systemd unit, uses legacy init script so sometimes it might fail due to network not available. The approach upstream seems to be use activation on demand systemd socket.

bugs.proftpd.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3661

Debian is aware bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=740177 that the packaging should ship with systemd unit

Shipping with a custom systemd unit for standalone server won't work apparently(didn't for me) due to this github.com/proftpd/proftpd/issues/501 which says was backported to 1.3.6 but just to the tag in github but not released as tarball so doesn't make it to debian yet.

I can reproduce the issue sometimes, not 100% sure.

@TheBadFrag

Can you test if installing inetd fixes the boot problem

apt-get install inetutils-inetd

Then reboot
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server
    • Maybe it's because I installed OMV on a NVME SSD. :D The time it takes to boot is basicly instant. I don't think that the LAN chip can get a connection that fast. :huh:

I can test that inetutils-inetd install tomorrow when I get back home. I don't want to mess up the server when I have no physical access to it. :saint: It's currently very busy pushing data.

...here are that hardware specs if that maybe helps:
      Intel i3-8100
      Gigabyte C246-WU4
      2x Kingston Server Premier 8GB DDR4-2400 ECC
      Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB, M.2
      6x Western Digital WD Red 10TB 3.5" (WD100EFAX)