How do you backup?

• Hi at all!

I would like to find an elegant way to make backups of the entire operating system. My idea is to create a sharedfolder to store the whole disk sda. Then weekly incremental updates would be useful. This way, I would always have a system backup with me when backing up all sharedfolders to a USB disk. Is there anyone here who does that? Or do you have better suggestions and how would they be roughly implemented?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The OS drive? Honestly, I don't. It's not worth the hassle to me.

I can be from a blank OS drive to everything installed and setup, in about 45-60min... I'd spend more than that trying to image drives, rotate backups, etc. and probably doing it way more frequently than I reinstall.

I guess if I had some major customization's it would be worthwhile, but I've been using OMV for several years now, and I've never bothered.

• You can use Clonezilla for offline backup in images of the boot drive.

OMVExtras > Kernel

Thing is automation might be tricky/impossible on that regard.

And it will be offline, not while system is running in order to get all the boot data from the drive.

NOW:
    Mac mini Late 2012 / macOS Catalina / Docker Desktop for Mac
    Intel Core i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz - 16GB RAM - 4 external disks via USB3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - 20 docker containers via docker-compose ;)
    PREVIOUS:
    omv 5.2.1-1 (Usul) - Bevy NUC thanks to TechnoDadLife (NUC5CPYB)
    Celeron N3050 @ 1.60GHz - 8GB RAM - 2 external disks via USB3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - 21 docker containers via docker-compose :)

• Backups with FileZilla will not be bootable though. If you need no bootable backup and only backup of the directories themselves it should work.

Logging in with the root account with FileZilla
    (FileZilla's name reminds me of STOPZilla, pup-up blocker, totally unrelated to topic though :D)

NOW:
    Intel Core i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz - 16GB RAM - 4 external disks via USB3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - 20 docker containers via docker-compose ;)
    PREVIOUS:
    Celeron N3050 @ 1.60GHz - 8GB RAM - 2 external disks via USB3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - 21 docker containers via docker-compose :)

• I use dd via automated scripting to make live unattended OMV system drive backups daily at 7:00am. They take only eight minutes to run and image the 16GB OMV system SSD. I keep the most seven recent backups and this is also handled by an automated script. I have been doing this since starting with OMV 2 more than four years ago.

I also test that the backups being made are restorable and actually work by doing a restore of the most recent one to another 16GB SSD and booting the restored copy and running it for a day. I currently do this every six to eight weeks, and I have more than enough confidence in what I am doing that I can stretch these tests out further by about two further weeks per year. I have never had a single problem with this.

And yes, I have been warned by many that this practice can produce inconsistent results, but in my use case I have never seen a single problem. YMMV, so test for your self. It will cost you nothing but a some disk space to store the backups.

I can provide the scripts I use upon request, but you will have to edit them to work on your system. Guaranteed not to work if not suitable altered.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Backups with FileZilla will not be bootable though. If you need no bootable backup and only backup of the directories themselves it should work.

Logging in with the root account with FileZilla
    (FileZilla's name reminds me of STOPZilla, pup-up blocker, totally unrelated to topic though :D)

Why wouldn't a Filezilla backup be bootable? ?(

• @gderf

I would like to take a look at those scripts! Sounds like a great way to backup my boot sd card to another drive.

NOW:
    PREVIOUS:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmm I read somewhere filezilla was able to make copies of whole partitions.

Maybe you mix it with Clonezilla.

There is also a backup-plugin that can backup the OS by rsync, dd or fsarchiver.
    The plugin can create backups at certain intervals and you can define how long you want to keep backups.

• Hmm I read somewhere filezilla was able to make copies of whole partitions. But yeah makes sense since it's called FILE zilla.. :D
    That scripts would be awesome! Sent you a pm.

The boot track is not a partition and it isn't a file.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hmm I read somewhere filezilla was able to make copies of whole partitions. But yeah makes sense since it's called FILE zilla.. :D
    That scripts would be awesome! Sent you a pm.

I emailed them to you.

--

• Isn't that a data sequence within the boot partition? So I was assuming cloning a partition would also clone the boot track.

No, it's not within any partition.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!