OMV 0.4.38 Fedaykin problem

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have to agree with @geaves here. While a number of factors are involved, the average life of a hard drive runs somewhere around 5 to 7 years. If a RAID array or LVM is involved (meaning multiple drives), the probability of losing one or more drives, in less than 5 to 7 years, increases. That's just statistical probability.

Given the age of the drive(s) time is not on your side. If there's a chance to recover data for failing drive(s), maybe with enough time to back up data before complete failure, etc., it might be best to shut the server down and get your son to look at it. ((And don't take "No" for an answer. Remember, Sonny boy "owes" you one. :) ))

In any case, now would not be the time to try to learn about Linux, much less making an attempt to recover data from a drive, a RAID array, or LVM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The missing filesystem in combination with Greyhole, LVM and HP Microserver ...

This needs to be done by the person who set it up, the fact that Movies files can be seen on a phone but not played is a start, but I have never dealt with LVM, and I've never understood the need. A simple root folder, map that to W7 then create sub folders under the root folder would be the simplest option.

For instance my wife has here own folder on the server, that's hers it's a root share what she dumps in it is up to her all I do is back it up.

In the above instance a folder called storage would be sufficient, and the bast way to recover just might be with a live cd.

• I'm sure both crashtest and geaves are right, I'll just have to persuade my son that it's in his interests to have a look.

I'll shut it down now as it appears that the age of the HDDs could well be the issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll just have to persuade my son that it's in his interests to have a look.

Something like this comes to mind; "I'm not going to write that tuition check, until you take a look" ... :D
    (Tough love,,, it's the best kind. :) )

You know, parents spend half a fortune bringing kids up, where kids get used to a one way street of getting and not giving. Then when we ask them for something small where no cost is involved, and it's like we're killing them. (Oop's. Did I say that out loud?)

• I hear what you're saying crashtest, but he's a good son, way beyond needing help with tuition fees. He does live a long way away though and works a lot of hours, so it was great when he said he would come and have a look next weekend. New 2tb NAS drive and a 4tb HDD for my computer on order!

• Offizieller Beitrag

but he's a good son, way beyond needing help with tuition fees.

Well, I was just (half) kidding around in any case. :)

I don't know how important this NAS is to you, or the importance of what you have stored on it, but you might want to think about replacing all the drives. (As it is, 7 years of continuous service from a "collection" of drives is somewhat remarkable.) While the current issue may be related to one or more drives, the remainder may not last much longer.

And while it's a process not to be taken lightly, updating to OMV4 should be considered. (Which would mean, essentially, reinstalling from scratch.)

Take a look at this -> Guide. It's written for beginners. With an old Laptop or workstation and a 4TB drive (maybe something like this), you could look at the possibility of setting up your own server. If your son is really busy, and you're retired, you might have the time to invest in it.

• Just to update this story, my son discovered that one of the drives had died. Initially he made the RAID run on the two remaining drives so that I could make a copy of everything, then we inserted a new NAS drive and the RAID5 is currently being rebuilt. The plan is to buy two more drives to replace the six-year-old ones (running continually since 30th July 2013) and then upgrade to version 4 - next visit!

Thanks for all the useful input.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!