NextCloud is no longer running in Docker Image (PHP7.3)

• I have some docker images running in OMV. These are automatically updated by Watchtower (also in Docker). NextCloud also runs as a docker container. Since NextCloud is one of the few solutions that have to be installed in the dockerimage first, it can happen that the dockerimage and NextCloud diverge. This happened to me now. The NextCloud Docker Image runs PHP 7.3.x and NextCloud does not work with this PHP version. Now I can not update NextCloud because I can not reach it. What is the best course of action? Can I make an older docker image available and assign it to the container? If yes, how does it work? All my attempts have failed. Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you install Nextcloud within a docker?
    If yes, you should use a nextcloud image. Has everything to work out of the box (except advanced database and letsencrypt). Because it is one working package you avoid issues like you seem to have.
    https://hub.docker.com/_/nextcloud

Here are two guides how to install:
    [How-To] Nextcloud with Letsencrypt using OMV and docker-compose

Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

• I am using the image of "linux server / nextcloud". It's the same image you use in the tutorial. Nevertheless, I have the following error:

"This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with> PHP 7.2.You are currently running 7.3.8. "

Apparently Watchtower has updated the image and it is running PHP7.3. But Nextcloud is 14.x and needs PHP <= 7.2 ...

How can I fix this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is the current OMV php version there some php updates awaiting install, but these are 7.0.33+deb9u5

Brainfuck
    php --version
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u3 (cli) (built: Mar  8 2019 10:01:24) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) 1997-2017 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2017 Zend Technologies
        with Zend OPcache v7.0.33-0+deb9u3, Copyright (c) 1999-2017, by Zend Technologies

Have you updated PHP somehow.

• This is the current OMV php version there some php updates awaiting install, but these are 7.0.33+deb9u5

Brainfuck
    php --version
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u3 (cli) (built: Mar  8 2019 10:01:24) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) 1997-2017 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2017 Zend Technologies
        with Zend OPcache v7.0.33-0+deb9u3, Copyright (c) 1999-2017, by Zend Technologies

Have you updated PHP somehow.

isn't the failure message mentioned by the op related to php inside the docker container?

Your nextcloud needs an upgrade to a higher version.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I though it is not possible that watchtower is updating php within the docker without updating the complete image/docker.
    I would backup the /config and /data folder. Then try to use the latest linuxserver/nextcloud image.

Or you try to use the original image if you still have it. By default watchtower is not deleting previous images. You have to define "cleanup" to tell watchtower to do that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I though it is not possible that watchtower is updating php within the docker without updating the complete image/docker.

:thumbup: you've cleared up what I was trying to understand and I would agree watchtower updates the container using a new image it can't update a component of an image.

• Yes, it's about the PHP version in Docker Image. This currently has the version 7.3.x after Watchtower has updated the Docker image. In addition, the dilapidated images are regularly cleaned up because there are a lot of old images.

I have tried via FTP to move the current Nextcloud version 16.x into www and to accept the config.php. Then comes the following error:

"Internal Server Error ... The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request."

Unfortunately, no indication where I can start to search. If I delete the www folder via FTP then this will be created on startup, most likely with the current Nextcloud version from the image. Then comes the setup process. When I create a new Nextcloud user then the process even goes through.

After that, however, a white page with a list of apps will appear, with a note that they need updating, with a button below "Start Update". However, this button does nothing.

Underneath to update the note with "./occ upgrade" manually. However, then comes the message "No authorization" and when I use "sudo ./occ upgrade" the message "Permission denied".

Currently all attempts are in void. Are there any ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, it's about the PHP version in Docker Image. This is currently version 7.3.x after Watchtower has updated the Docker image.

I hope this does not get lost in the translation, Watchtower only updates a running image it does not, cannot update a component within an image.

Your best help would be from the linuxserver guys in their discord forum as suggested by @Morlan

• Das aktuelle Image nehmen?Und dabei die vorhandenen Verzeichnisse einbinden:
    /config
    /data

Damit nichts kaputt geht, vorher ein Backup machen.

Hab ich ja gemacht. Bzw. ist das Image ja aktuell. Das Problem ist der www Folder. Dort steht das Frontend auf 14.x und wird nicht durch das Image aktualisiert. Dann kommt der entsprechende Fehler. Ich komm aber an das Webfrontend nicht ran um Nextcloud zu aktualisieren. Wenn ich das Verzeichnis www lösche und den Docker Container wieder auf Basis des aktuellen Images starte dann wird www neu mit 16.x angelegt. Es kommt dann der Install Prozess des Frontends, der dann mit der Liste der Apps endet, die ich aktualisieren muss es aber weder per Button noch manuell über die Console geht. Übernehme ich die config.php von der 14. dann kommt keine Install aber ein Server Error. Zugegeben hat die config.php der 14 auch ne etwas andere Struktur als die 16 :) Ich muss noch versuchen die abzugleichen... Vielleicht geht es dann...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!