unable to activate samba, ftp service

• OMV 5.x (beta)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• unable to activate samba, ftp service

Hello all!

I've install debian 10.1 and omv5 followed forum guide, and omv-extra, docker (it's not installed from omv-extra, just followed docker homepage guide.)

When I tried to activate samba and ftp I got error...

-----

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run avahi 2>&1' with exit code '1': /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/modules/file.py:32: DeprecationWarning: Using or importing the ABCs from 'collections' instead of from 'collections.abc' is deprecated, and in 3.8 it will stop working from collections import Iterable, Mapping /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/utils/decorators/signature.py:31: DeprecationWarning: `formatargspec` is deprecated since Python 3.5. Use `signature` and the `Signature` object directly *salt.utils.args.get_function_argspec(original_function) /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/utils/decorators/signature.py:31: DeprecationWarning: `formatargspec` is deprecated since Python 3.5. Use `signature` and the `Signature` object directly *salt.utils.args.get_function_argspec(original_function) /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/utils/decorators/signature.py:31: DeprecationWarning: `formatargspec` is deprecated since Python 3.5. Use `signature` and the `Signature` object directly *salt.utils.args.get_function_argspec(original_function) Jayvill-NAS: ---------- ID: mask_avahi_service Function: service.masked Name: avahi-daemon Result: True Comment: Service avahi-daemon was masked Started: 03:09:47.502289 Duration: 669.423 ms Changes: ---------- masked: ---------- new: True old: False ---------- ID: stop_avahi_socket Function: service.dead Name: avahi-daemon.socket Result: True Comment: Service avahi-daemon.socket has been disabled, and is dead Started: 03:09:48.172130 Duration: 833.342 ms Changes: ---------- avahi-daemon.socket: True ---------- ID: stop_avahi_service Function: service.dead Name: avahi-daemon.service Result: True Comment: The service avahi-daemon.service is already dead Started: 03:09:49.005908 Duration: 49.844 ms Changes: ---------- ID: configure_default_avahi_daemon Function: file.managed Name: /etc/default/avahi-daemon Result: True Comment: File /etc/default/avahi-daemon is in the correct state Started: 03:09:49.061102 Duration: 62.208 ms Changes: ---------- ID: configure_avahi_daemon_conf Function: file.managed Name: /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf Result: True Comment: File /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf is in the correct state Started: 03:09:49.123485 Duration: 30.264 ms Changes: ---------- ID: configure_avahi_service_ssh Function: file.managed Name: /etc/avahi/services/ssh.service Result: True Comment: File /etc/avahi/services/ssh.service is in the correct state Started: 03:09:49.153935 Duration: 30.858 ms Changes: ---------- ID: remove_avahi_service_nfs Function: module.run Result: True Comment: file.find: [] Started: 03:09:49.185573 Duration: 1.61 ms Changes: ---------- file.find: ---------- ID: remove_avahi_service_ftp Function: file.absent Name: /etc/avahi/services/ftp.service Result: True Comment: File /etc/avahi/services/ftp.service is not present Started: 03:09:49.187304 Duration: 0.363 ms Changes: ---------- ID: configure_avahi_service_webadmin Function: file.managed Name: /etc/avahi/services/website.service Result: True Comment: File /etc/avahi/services/website.service is in the correct state Started: 03:09:49.187784 Duration: 31.881 ms Changes: ---------- ID: remove_avahi_service_rsync Function: file.absent Name: /etc/avahi/services/rsync.service Result: True Comment: File /etc/avahi/services/rsync.service is not present Started: 03:09:49.219847 Duration: 0.45 ms Changes: ---------- ID: configure_avahi_service_smb Function: file.managed Name: /etc/avahi/services/smb.service Result: True Comment: File /etc/avahi/services/smb.service is in the correct state Started: 03:09:49.220418 Duration: 32.835 ms Changes: ---------- ID: unmask_avahi_service Function: service.unmasked Name: avahi-daemon Result: True Comment: Service avahi-daemon was unmasked Started: 03:09:49.253445 Duration: 617.348 ms Changes: ---------- masked: ---------- new: False old: True ---------- ID: start_avahi_socket Function: service.running Name: avahi-daemon.socket Result: True Comment: Service avahi-daemon.socket has been enabled, and is running Started: 03:09:49.871159 Duration: 792.749 ms Changes: ---------- avahi-daemon.socket: True ---------- ID: start_avahi_service Function: service.running Name: avahi-daemon.service Result: False Comment: Job for avahi-daemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status avahi-daemon.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. Started: 03:09:50.664370 Duration: 75.851 ms Changes: Summary for Jayvill-NAS ------------- Succeeded: 13 (changed=5) Failed: 1 ------------- Total states run: 14 Total run time: 3.229 s

-----

I've research some on the forum, I guess this error is from avahi-daemon.service "rlimit-nproc=3" but I don't have an idea to fix this. the omv4 has mkconf but omv5 uses salt which I don't have clue.

any help to fix this?

Thanks!
    • Could you please post the output of

# systemctl status avahi-daemon.service
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • Here you go.

-----
      ● avahi-daemon.service - Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
      Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
      Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-09-23 14:11:16 KST; 19s ago
      Process: 9498 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -s (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
      Main PID: 9498 (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)

Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS avahi-daemon[9498]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 110) and group 'avahi' (GID 115).
      Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS systemd[1]: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack...
      Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS avahi-daemon[9498]: Process 709 died: No such process; trying to remove PID file. (/run/avahi-daemon//pid)
      Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS avahi-daemon[9498]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
      Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS avahi-daemon[9498]: chroot.c: fork() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
      Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS avahi-daemon[9498]: failed to start chroot() helper daemon.
      Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
      Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS systemd[1]: avahi-daemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
      Sep 23 14:11:16 Jayvill-NAS systemd[1]: Failed to start Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
      -----

and, I've temporary fix this error with "/srv/salt/omv/deploy/avahi/files/etc-avahi-avahi-daemon_conf.j2".

Just remove "rlimit-nproc=3" and reboot. The service all works fine now and to change settings samba, ftp, nfs, etc is working.
    • Based on post related to Avahi and the config setting I assume the problem is raised by Docker.

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=856311
      github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/97

What happens when you disable Docker and apply the OMV config? Is avahi used in a Docker image you are using?

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• You need to fix this in your containers. One of the linls above is telling how to do that. The OMV setting is good because of security reasons. Thus it won't be removed , but you can customize the config file via environment variables now (see github.com/openmediavault/open…77121d8d42d052ae62377f37a) starting with openmediavault 5.0.10.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.