What am I missing trying to configure static IP adress?

• Hi all,

I'm following The Getting Started guide, since I am very new to OMW and servers in general.

After I try to set a static IP adress, stuff starts going wrong.

What am I missing?

I've set
    IPv4
    Method - Static
    Adress - 192.168.0.201
    netmask - 255.255.255.0
    gateway - 192.168.0.1

IPv6
    Method - disabled

Advanced settings
    DNS servers - 1.1.1.1
    Search domains - ??? (no idea what needs to be filled in here)
    MTU - 1500
    Wake on Lan - off

Here's an example of an error I get trying to update a package

• Offizieller Beitrag

You specified wrong settings. Perhaps your gateway should be something else. Perhaps the ip should be something else.

Login to your router and check the settings used for DHCP in it.

It is a good idea to not only set a fixed ip in OMV but also specify a static lease of that IP, for that device, in the router. Then you can also assign a name to the server.

Start with asigning a fixed lease to OMV in the routef, then change in OMV.

• Hi Adoby,

Pretty sure IP adress, gateway, netmask are the correct settings.

The DNS server should also be okay? For the MTU value I used the same value as I saw in the system monitor when DHCP was still on.

Maybe I can try a different IP address, maybe I've picked one which is already in use or not allowed?

Unfortunately my router is only accesable through my ISP's website and has very limited options. There is no way to set a static lease for certain IP's...

• I'm just installing OMV for the very first time. It's pretty much still a clean in install

I'm following the "Getting started guide", I'm at the point where I'm setting the static IP, but then I noticed something went wrong because I couldn't run any updates with static IP, whilst if I revert to DHCP I can run the updates.
    (this guide https://forum.openmediavault.o…rted-with-Openmediavault/)

(I'm using OMV 5 because the installer for OMV 4 wouldnt recognize some of the hardware in my pc)

• Some tests pingíng:

I also tried restarting my router several times... No change

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Getting Started Guide was written for OMV3 and 4.
    OMV5 is still a Beta and, as such, may have a few wrinkles to iron out. (And there is a note in the Guide about what running a "BETA" means. :) )

Since you're at the start and are already statically addressed - if you can get on the command line, try this.

systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
    systemctl disable NetworkManager.service

For the time being, try using your routers IP address as the DNS server.

Please let us know how it went. This may have a bearing on other issues.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If everything is working fine when you use DHCP you can ask the router to assign always the same IP to your NAS.

Another option is to not care about the IP adress, but use the hostname instead. If your OMV is called "nas" you reach the gui with

http://nas.local

• This yielded some unexpected results (I threw in the ip address show just to prove I am in fact connected :))

If everything is working fine when you use DHCP you can ask the router to assign always the same IP to your NAS.

Another option is to not care about the IP adress, but use the hostname instead. If your OMV is called "nas" you reach the gui with

http://nas.local

That is a neat little trick. Thanks. That could help indeed if I would be stuck with DHCP. However I'd like to have this weirdness sorted out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

root@Eddy:~# systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
    Failed to stop NetworkManager.service: Unit NetworkManager.service not loaded.
    root@Eddy:~# systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
    Failed to disable unit: Unit file NetworkManager.service does not exist.

So it's not running. Hum,, network-manager is running only on Armbian SBC's.

I'll take it that you changed your DNS server IP address, to your routers IP address and that had no affect. You could try another public DNS server like 8.8.4.4 just to see what happens.
    From time to time, sources may not be available. It's pretty rare, but it happens. Generally, the next day, they're back on line.

In any case, I don't know of a specific reason why using a static IP address and a pubilc DNS server would cause a name resolution failure. On the other hand you could try the DHCP setting, reboot, and see what happens.

If this persists and if you're in a hurry, I'd suggest building OMV4.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There was a typo in the gateway IP. So stupid, I've been reading over it this whole time.

We have all done that before too.

Yep.. Sometimes we see what we want to see. :)
    It's a shame that "what I want to see" in my checking account doesn't always match reality. :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!