RemoteDesktop for OMV5?

• Hello,

right now I'm running VMware Workstation unter RemoteDesktop (OMV v4). Today I've installed on my testsystem latest version of OMV v5 and omv-extras.
    Unfortunately there's no remotdesktop-plugin for OMV v5 yet.

Is there any chance that this plugin will be ported to v5 too?

Thanks in advance

Huberer

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any chance that this plugin will be ported to v5 too?

Nope. I did suggest the docker image that I have been using that works extremely well in this post - https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=186122#post186122

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks, I will give it a try

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Nope. I did suggest the docker image that I have been using that works extremely well in this post - https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=186122#post186122

Hi,

I'm currently moving my plugins to Docker containers where possible. I also installed the mentioned RDP-Docker (https://hub.docker.com/r/danielguerra/ubuntu-xrdp) and that works in principle. But, I have to questions:

• It's painfully slow, especially typing! It's also much, much slower than the previously used OMV-plugin. Is there anything that can be done?
    • I was able to change the user password, but that was not persistent. After restarting the container, the default password had to be used? How can I make this persistent?

Thanks for any hints!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's painfully slow, especially typing! It's also much, much slower than the previously used OMV-plugin. Is there anything that can be done?

Not sure why. They do the same thing. What kind of system?

I was able to change the user password, but that was not persistent. After restarting the container, the default password had to be used? How can I make this persistent?

You would have to modify the dockerfile to expose the /etc directory since it is only exposing these two: VOLUME ["/etc/ssh","/home"]

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Not sure why. They do the same thing. What kind of system?

You would have to modify the dockerfile to expose the /etc directory since it is only exposing these two: VOLUME ["/etc/ssh","/home"]

It's in i7 5th generation, so that shouldn't be a problem...

Thanks for the hint with the dockerfile!

• If docker is not what you want to use for rdp you can select your environment with the command (as root)

Code
    tasksel

next you can :

Code
    apt install xrdp tigervnc-standalone-server

then you can connect from windows rdp (select xvnc not xorg)

Thanks, I preferred this method because the danielguerra/ubuntu-xrdp image was also painfully slow for me, I'm not experienced enough to change the password in that docker without a step-by-step guide and would have taken more work to use as a file manager because the media shares aren't mounted.

I did struggle to get it working; got some "VNC error - problem connecting - some problem" errors initially in the connection log. and had to

Code
    mkhomedir_helper username

to create the homedir where xrdp writes session settings.I also installed xorgxrdp.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Might help if you show how you installed the docker container. Post the docker-compose file, docker command or screenshots from Portainer.

Depending on what you want to achieve, maybe something like doublecommander would be sufficient as well

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/doublecommander

Or even midnight commander from CLI.

• Hi macom,

thanks for your answer. I found a solution in the meantime. I created a new user instead of the default "ubuntu" one and then mounted my hard disks to the container. Everything works now but I agree that the container is way to oversized for my file management tasks.

Thanks for highlighting doublecommander, I will definitely take a look!

• I've been looking for something like this since a lot, thanks for the tip!

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• When you entered tasksel did you definitely select a desktop environment? I picked Xfce and the steps worked I just used Xorg instead

tasksel

# select the environment (eg Xfce)

apt install xrdp xorgxrdp

# connect from rdp client (select xvnc not xorg only if using tigervnc*)

• Hi Guys, I had the same problem with the blank screen. What I did:

Fix a permissions problem with /etc/xrdp/ that caused the following error in /var/log/xrdp.log:

Code
    [ERROR] Cannot read private key file /etc/xrdp/key.pem: Permission denied

With this command:

Code
    sudo adduser xrdp ssl-cert

With the xfce which was installed by tasksel I did not get it to work. What helped was:

Code
    sudo apt-get install xfce4

Then add the line

xfce4-session to the .xsession by with this command:

Code
    echo xfce4-session >~/.xsession  

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!