MergerFs - omv5

• The OMV 5.x version of the plugin has plenty of issues. They are being worked on.

I really don't think manually configuring pools/fstab is the right option for most users. The fact that it is still not working well on OMV 5.x shouldn't be a huge issue since OMV 5.x hasn't been released. I don't what else to say about that. And once we get the plugin to a good state, I will add the damn option to pool folders instead of just disks...

ryecoaaron, the Unionfilesystem plugin pretty much holds all my stuff together; I am not skilled enough to be comfortable configuring MergerFs via fstab. Has the progress broug a usable solution for the rest of us? If this is still a future todo, where might I find out when the plugin is in a good state?

Thanks

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • I am not skilled enough to be comfortable configuring MergerFs via fstab.

Did you know that the plugin writes its output to fstab? Between those examples and the manual you should be able to figure it out.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Did you know that the plugin writes its output to fstab? Between those examples and the manual you should be able to figure it out.

Are you aware that that does not answer my question?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Are you aware that that does not answer my question?

It might help if you closely defined your question.

- Have you loaded OMV5 (and) are using MergerFS in OMV5.
    - Are you having some sort of trouble?
    - What, exactly is the problem?

With a few details, I might be able to replicate the problem you're experiencing in a VM. Absent that information, there's little that can be done.

• It might help if you closely defined your question.
    - Have you loaded OMV5 (and) are using MergerFS in OMV5.
    - Are you having some sort of trouble?
    - What, exactly is the problem?

With a few details, I might be able to replicate the problem you're experiencing in a VM. Absent that information, there's little that can be done.

What do you mean by, "closely defined your question"?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
    • Offizieller Beitrag

ryecoaaron, the Unionfilesystem plugin pretty much holds all my stuff together; I am not skilled enough to be comfortable configuring MergerFs via fstab. Has the progress broug a usable solution for the rest of us? If this is still a future todo, where might I find out when the plugin is in a good state?
    Thanks

I've been using MergerFS + SNAPRAID in OMV4 without problems. If you're having some sort of problem with MergerFS in OMV4, please describe it.

Since OMV5 is still a beta, and ryecoaaron has acknowledged issues with using MergerFS in the OMV5 release, it would be best to stay on OMV4 until it's fixed. Even when OMV5 is out of beta, I'm still going to test everything I use, in a VM, before upgrading. That seems to be the prudent course to take.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does the current MergerFS plugin not work in OMV5 then?

It works but sometimes a reboot is needed to get the pool mounted. I haven't put a lot of time into it but I haven't found a solution for this yet. This only affect new pool creation and isn't a huge problem in my opinion.

is it just the request to pool folders rather than whole drives that requires implementation.

Yes, pooling folders needs to be implemented.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It works but sometimes a reboot is needed to get the pool mounted. I haven't put a lot of time into it but I haven't found a solution for this yet. This only affect new pool creation and isn't a huge problem in my opinion.

How about a popup that says, "Reboot Required", when a new configuration is saved? The user is notified of the issue and the solution all in one, and it's done.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about a popup that says, "Reboot Required", when a new configuration is saved? The user is notified of the issue and the solution all in one, and it's done

If it actually required a reboot to setup a pool, I would go for that. I really just need some time to figure out what is wrong.

• So I've just started using openmediavault - from the website it wasn't very obvious that OMV5 is BETA so I just picked the newest release. I'm getting a similar issue with the mergefs filesystem and looking in fstab and /srv I can see the above.

Looks like the mount point hasn't been created correctly? I then unmounted it and then ran mount -a and it now looks like this and it works.

Hope that helps in some way although I suspect you already know what i've found.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like the mount point hasn't been created correctly? I then unmounted it and then ran mount -a and it now looks like this and it works.

And this is why the reboot I mentioned above fixes it. The problem with the plugin is known and it is a race condition where it actually mounts the pool THEN creates the directory. Unmounting the pool allows the directory to be seen. I just need the plugin to make sure the directory is created but I haven't found the solution (need more free time).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I've been using MergerFS + SNAPRAID in OMV4 without problems. If you're having some sort of problem with MergerFS in OMV4, please describe it.

If someone is looking for help with MergerFS on the released OMV4, please realize this thread is tagged for the beta OMV5. These OMV5 threads are for clearing issues with upcoming OS. They are also for consuming ALL free time of the developers --- thank you.

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ajaja ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the unionfilesystem plugin issue with mounting the pool on creation has been fixed in 5.0.1 in the repo now.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!