no connection to Portainer after installation of docker under OMV v5

• Hello,

today I've made a test installation of OMV v5 (via Debian 10 netinst) under VMware Fusion. After enabling omv-extras, I've installed docker. Everything went fine. And also the "tab" for "Install Portainer" is on green.
    But unfortunately I can't connect to Portainer via http://IP-address_of_server:9000
    I always get the error, that I can't connect. I've also turned off and on the switch of "Install Portainer" but didn't help.

Now I really want to know how I can get access to the web interface of Portainer. Also the tab "open Portainer web interface" doesn't work - no connection to the server.

Thanks in advance.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Of course I did. I also turned off and on the switch for the installation of Portier after I've installed docker. But I didn't see any showing for installation of Portainer.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I didn't see any showing for installation of Portainer.

Try rebooting same happened to me but I installed manually after the failed to connect, two days later I restarted OMV this time I had to create a user and password to log into Portainer, odd considering I had already done this. Once logged in there were two Portainer containers, one running, one stopped I deleted the one that had stopped and it's been OK ever since.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does your update work? Just tried in a VM and update did not work. I used omv-firstaid to configure the network interface. Did not finish, but after a reboot I was able to install docker and it was possible to reach protainer.

• That's what I also did. After installation of docker I restarted the server. As well after turning off and on of Portainer.
    I think that the tab for installation of Portainer was enabled by default. Even docker wasn't installed.
    So no clue what to do next

• Code
    This will download and place docker-compose in /usr/local/bin/.

This stands under "Install docker". But when I have a look under /usr/local/bin, there's nothing.
    Under "/var/lib/docker" all the folders are there.

• Another test with "Cockpit". Also not working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have tested this install probably a hundred times and never had it fail. If the button fails to install docker, then portainer isn't going to work. If your system failed to install docker and cockpit, there is something wrong with the system that the button cannot fix. What is the output of:

dpkg -l | grep -E "cockpit|docker"

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Code
    root@OMV-Testsystem:~# dpkg -l | grep -E "cockpit|docker"
    ii  docker-ce                       5:19.03.2~3-0~debian-buster  amd64        Docker: the open-source application container engine
    ii  docker-ce-cli                   5:19.03.2~3-0~debian-buster  amd64        Docker CLI: the open-source application container engine
    root@OMV-Testsystem:~#

This is the output. I also have tried to install Portainer via command line

Code
    docker volume create portainer_data
    docker run -d -p 9000:9000 -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer

and this was the output:

Code
    root@OMV-Testsystem:~# docker volume create portainer_data
    portainer_data
    root@OMV-Testsystem:~# docker run -d -p 9000:9000 -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer
    Unable to find image 'portainer/portainer:latest' locally
    docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:60260->[::1]:53: read: connection refused.
    See 'docker run --help'.
    root@OMV-Testsystem:~#

• I know that it's not necessary, but docker do it anyway. Before downloading docker looks locally and if it can't find the image it downloads from the internet.
    But thanks I will give it a try

• @geaves

Thank you for the tip with manually downloading. This could solve the issue. I downloaded the image manually and afterward I've installed Portainer via CLI and now I can connect to the web interface.

Thanks again :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does your update work? Just tried in a VM and update did not work. I used omv-firstaid to configure the network interface. Did not finish, but after a reboot I was able to install docker and it was possible to reach protainer.

I've been having this problem on a few VM installs as well (also can't get the omv-extras deb to install via the webUI or via the script... but that's another thread). In my situation, when I installed docker, for some reason I was losing my Internet connection on the VM. It was working fine before I installed docker... after I'd be offline (ping'd aol.com to confirm).

When I ran omv-firstaid, it was now listing two NICs.. a "docker0", and an Intel (which is the proper one). I set up the Intel one again, and thus far it's been OK.

This happened both installing over Debian and w/ the omv ISO and has happened on a couple different installs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I only have this running on as a test on old laptop, tomorrow I'll try a clean install, do the usual setup and updates then install docker, check to ensure docker has installed then run docker container ls to check that portainer has installed.

TBH when I first ran into this I thought it may be related to the fact that I specified a path to the docker storage before installing docker, but I'll install the same way as before.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I only have this running on as a test on old laptop, tomorrow I'll try a clean install, do the usual setup and updates then install docker, check to ensure docker has installed then run docker container ls to check that portainer has installed.

TBH when I first ran into this I thought it may be related to the fact that I specified a path to the docker storage before installing docker, but I'll install the same way as before.

I've left every thing default.

Curious since you say you're going to do a new install. Are you having any issues installing omv-extras? I first tried to upload the deb via the webUI, and get some error the .deb file is not versioned properly (yes, I was using the deb for omv 5). I then tried to do the install script, it also errors out, but does download the proper .deb file (just doesn't install it). At that point, I just apt install ./name_of_file.deb and it installs no problem.

I've had this happen on like 4-5 different installs, but I'm not seeing any threads reporting an issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you having any issues installing omv-extras?

No, that seemed to worked, if I remember I installed via the CLI, I have just noticed odd things. I have created a raid option on the laptops hdd using partitions, this works fine, but I did notice that the array name changed from md0 to md127 after a reboot, then after the Portainer problem I rebooted again only for it change back to md0. This in itself is not a problem, I found after helping another user that the mdadm.conf does not specify an array after correcting that it's fine.

What I'll do tomorrow is to document each step/procedure and do some checking via the CLI and see if anything stands out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

n my situation, when I installed docker, for some reason I was losing my Internet connection on the VM. It was working fine before I installed docker... after I'd be offline (ping'd aol.com to confirm).

On armbian buster images, removing network-manager and then omv-firstaid to setup the network adapter using systemd seems to fix that problem.

I first tried to upload the deb via the webUI, and get some error the .deb file is not versioned properly (yes, I was using the deb for omv 5).

I guess I need to try that. I never use the web interface to install it but I don't understand why it doesn't work.

then tried to do the install script, it also errors out,

What errors?

I've also created a new script that will install OMV itself if it isn't installed already - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!