Upgrade to Kernel 5.3?

• Offizieller Beitrag

nope, that doesn't work. Says it needs ubuntu

Install the proxmox kernel from omv-extras. Current that will install the 5.0 kernel but the 5.3 kernel is in the repos. You can just apt-get install pve-kernel-5.3 to get it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Install the proxmox kernel from omv-extras. Current that will install the 5.0 kernel but the 5.3 kernel is in the repos. You can just apt-get install pve-kernel-5.3 to get it.

On my OMV 4, installing the proxmox kernel from omv-extras gave me 4.15.18-21-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.18-48.

apt-get install pve-kernel-5.3 fails with:

E: Unable to locate package pve-kernel-5.3

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On my OMV 4, installing the proxmox kernel from omv-extras gave me 4.15.18-21-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.18-48.

apt-get install pve-kernel-5.3 fails with:

E: Unable to locate package pve-kernel-5.3

Sorry, on one of the other posts, I noticed ja-ki was on OMV 5.x. So, my comment applies to omv 5.x only.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• That's OK.

Since there now appears to be an upgrade path from OMV4 to 5 I'll eventually try it on a spare SSD.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Did you try it before saying nope?

yes. I even wen't into the script and removed the check for the distribution. It ran fine but eventually bricked my OMV installation. Had to reinstall everything

edit: When I said it needs Ubuntu I meant the script after executing checks for the distribution and then aborts after saying it only works on Ubuntu

Install the proxmox kernel from omv-extras. Current that will install the 5.0 kernel but the 5.3 kernel is in the repos. You can just apt-get install pve-kernel-5.3 to get it.

Somehow I managed before to go to linux kernel 5.2 even without proxmox kernel, but I couldn't remember how (it was from the web GUI though). Thanks for the tip though because I needed something above 5.1 to get my WIFI card running. Now on to the powermanagement issues *sigh*

• Offizieller Beitrag

Somehow I managed before to go to linux kernel 5.2 even without proxmox kernel,

On OMV 5.x, the backports kernel (which is default) is now the 5.2 kernel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How? I missed it.

This is what I did to test it. ETA for OMV 5.0 - weeks, months, quarters, 2020?

• I upgraded a copy of my OMV 4.x install using that procedure. It was a long slog, over 1000 packages upgraded.

But when it came back up I was left with no working DNS. Pinging by IP works and the GUI is reachable. omv-firstaid redefining the network interface didn't fix it either. If anyone has any ideas I'll try to repair it and look it over some.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is systemd-resolved running? You may need to configure /etc/systemd/resolved.conf if omv-firstaid doesn't fix it.

• Is systemd-resolved running? You may need to configure /etc/systemd/resolved.conf if omv-firstaid doesn't fix it.

I don't see a systemd-resolved service. So I am guessing that the upgrade didn't work fully.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I am guessing that the upgrade didn't work fully.

Sounds likely. If you were using zfs with the proxmox kernel, I could see having some problems upgrading since the kernel package names aren't the same.

• Nope, backports kernel and ext4 only.

I'll wait a while and try this again. Maybe the bug will be identified and fixed.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll wait a while and try this again. Maybe the bug will be identified and fixed.

I don't think this is one "bug". I think it going to be lots of packages that upgrade differently. omv-release-upgrade does a bunch of things not done by the commands I gave. Most of the omv-extras don't change the database field names that have underscores to dashes (or vice versa, can't remember) because I didn't think upgrades would be an option when I ported them.

• I got a bit further on my second try. Instead of uninstalling only OMV 4 plugins that have no corresponding plugin in OMV 5, I removed all the installed plugins and then did the upgrade.

Still, there is no ability to resolve hostnames, and looking into it a bit I saw that the /etc/resolv.conf file that existed in OMV 4 was deleted and not replaced in OMV 5. Once I added that file resolution works. However, any use of the network configuration tool in omv-firstaid or the networking panel in the WebGUI will break the networking again and delete the /etc/resolv.conf file.

After getting resolving fixed I added all my plugins back in. Everything seemed to work well.

At some point I found myself back in omv-firstaid, but I don't remember exactly what I did that really broke things.

Now I get Gateway Not Found 502 nginx when ever I try to connect to the WebGUI. I've tried clearing caches and rebooting but it is still broken. The few threads I was able to read about this were of no help - suggestions were for OMV 4 or earlier and mentioned files and executables I don't have.

There has to be a simple fix for this. As far as I got was apt-get install reinstall openmediavault. Still broken.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have no idea what is deleting /etc/resolv.conf. That didn't happen on my tests. I will test some more.

To regenerate the nginx and phpfpm configs,

omv-salt deploy run nginx
    omv-salt deploy run phpfpm

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!