I can install 32bit but not 64bit

• Hello, I recently built a new OMV box, added all the drives, set up LVM, added all the plugins, almost had them done... then realized that I had inadvertently installed the 32 bit version.

So.... I unplugged the drives, and attempted a re-install with the USB stick that had the 64bit (created the same way I created he 32bit stick). Low and behold, i get the error "looking for cdrom...." etc .

I booted GParted live and wiped the system disk, and tried again.. same thing.
    I re-created the USB stick a few times. unnetbootin, dd (i have a puppy laptop), live linux creator (this worked with 32bit), all with the same error.

I tried various tips found on the web, i didn't understand most of them, and has the same result,
    I dropped in a DVD drive last night, now today I'm gonna burn a CD and see if that works, but at this point its a matter of principle and/or pride.

It should install from the USB dammit! Is there a know reason why a 64bit install will give more headaches than a 32bit install?

Thanks

P.S. I haven't played with the BIOS yet because the 32bit installation worked just days ago. and I should mention that I had issues with installing the 32bit version due to "no root file system defined" errors and I fixed that by unplugging all but the system drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use win32diskimager to write the usb stick. What motherboard are you using?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm not sure of the motherboard or chipset, The processor is a Core2duo. the PC is an old DELL optiplex 330.

It had been running OMV for the past year or so, but when i couldn't get OMV installed on an old DELL SC420, I backed up the data from optiplex OMV box, then I put in new drives, and started over....

• I have a good selection of cases and power supplies, and if someone could recommend a solid ATX or smaller motherboard/CPU combo I can start from scratch.

(preferably something old enough to be cheap).

I even have a few HP G3 DL360 servers doing nothing at the moment.

• The most common problem is the serial port. If the install seems to freeze. I would just go forward and use a cd-rom is you can't get the usb install to work. If the install starts then freezes at some point make sure you disable to serial port.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have installed 64 bit OMV on an Optiplex 330 in the past. So, I know it works on that system. The DL360 might be a better candidate though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I know, the DL360 is begging me to do something with it, but I may just make it a NAS box with NAS4Free.
    I current have a Dell SC420 set up as a NAS4Free box, but its almost full (it only has about 250GB of drive space total) and i'm out of sata ports.

The other thing about the DL360, is space, power consumption, noise, and heat output. I don't have a good spot to set it up at the moment.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try downloading the 64 bit iso again and use win32diskimager to create the usb stick to install on the Optiplex. Make sure the sata is set to ahci in the bios too.

• Can you clarify the point when the installation says "looking for cdrom..."

is this after the linux kernel has booted into the anaconda install; blue background and grey text boxes?
    Or some point before that?

• Im not sure I solved the problem, but I was able to install OMV from a CD but I also had to move the on board CDROM device to teh the #1 spot in the boot sequence.

it was #2 behind the USB device and even though there was no USB device present it didnt install unitl I moved it up.

Thanks

Now I am fighting the blank white page after logging into the web GUI. This started after installing SABNZBD+

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!