zfs error importing pool

• Hi, I just installed OMV 5 followed by ZFS plug-in following two recent YouTube videos by the project lead.
    Next I imported from ZFS menu a couple of pools from a disk set coming from a FreeBSD installation.

OMV-ZFS gave the following error (in attachment), but I've been able to import the pools and the filesystems are shown properly in OMV WEB UI.
    The only problem is that ZFS menu section in OMV is not usable (there is nothing displayed).
    Any suggested way to resolve the problem?
    Thank you

• Hi Diego. Thanks for following up. I've almost given up on omv... :( I think OMV plugin had a problem with my pools configured with slog and l2arc on SSD partitions, and not dedicated disks.
    I removed since the slog and l2arc from the pools' definitions, but I also removed OMV install - I'm not too sure of the maturity of the zfz part, and I don't have the time to fiddle with it.

Probably I'll need to go back to an environment where zfs is native, and the use of the storage is not constrained, or change my storage config - (which I did). I see you use omv with zfs, but on an earlier version - is it a "production" environment (as much as a home media server can be) and are you satisfied with it (absence of issues, stable)?
    Best

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also removed OMV install - I'm not too sure of the maturity of the zfz part, and I don't have the time to fiddle with it.

If you were looking for stable, OMV 5.x is still beta. zfs on linux (has nothing to do with OMV) is stable. OMV 4.x with the proxmox kernel should be very stable as well. You may have to do some things from the command line that the plugin doesn't support but that shouldn't affect anything with OMV.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi Diego. Thanks for following up. I've almost given up on omv... :( I think OMV plugin had a problem with my pools configured with slog and l2arc on SSD partitions, and not dedicated disks.
    I removed since the slog and l2arc from the pools' definitions, but I also removed OMV install - I'm not too sure of the maturity of the zfz part, and I don't have the time to fiddle with it.

Probably I'll need to go back to an environment where zfs is native, and the use of the storage is not constrained, or change my storage config - (which I did). I see you use omv with zfs, but on an earlier version - is it a "production" environment (as much as a home media server can be) and are you satisfied with it (absence of issues, stable)?
    Best

First of all, your disk layout is odd to say the least. No need for L2ARC or SLOG for personal/home use. No sense to have a mirror made out of two partitions on the same disk (for L2ARC or SLOG). Why a separate swap partition when you can use a zvol for that?

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/…e-a-zvol-as-a-swap-device

Why you let free space at the end of the disk?

Just create a zpool using the whole disk, create a zvol for swap and some filesystems as you see fit (I recommend two/three as a minimum: one for root filesystem, maybe one for /boot, and another for /home). Install sanoid or any other policy-based ZFS snapshotting tool, and replicate the snapshots to a secondary computer for backup purposes.

I've had no issues at all with ZFS in my environment. It's so rock solid that I've migrated all my family PCs to ZFS. Snapshots of every filesystem are taken every hour, and periodically sent to main OMV server. Main server then daily replicate those snapshots to backup server. I keep last 48 hourly snapshots, plus last 15 dailies, plus last 12 monthlies, plus last 3 yearlies. Anytime time I can get back any file I should have accidentally lost or somewhat damaged (think i.e. crypto malware), from any local or remote snapshot, or even if any PC hard disk dies, it's easy to replace the hard disk, boot using a ZFS-enabled liveUSB and transfer back the latest snapshot stored in main server.

OMV4 ZFS plugin, as @ryecoaaron stated, is totally stable.

OMV 4.1 on Debian 10 @ HP Microserver gen8 [2x 256GB SSD ZFS mirror on root + 3x 8TB ZFS raidz1 pool]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!