Transmission slow download on more computers

• Hi,

I have a Gb network connection, but unfortanely I cannot use it with openmediavault.
    I tried with rock64, RPI4 4GB and a laptop with i3, but usually I can download with 16MB/s, sometimes it goes up to 25MB/s, but no more.
    If I connect the same cable to a win10 laptop or desktop, I almost reach the gigabit connection (with the same torrent).
    I have a RT-N56UB1 router with padavan, a rock64 on emmc ayufan OMV, original power supply and a WD Elements 1TB external drive with Y cable.
    I tried iperf and hdparm, everything looks OK.

Do you have any idea, where I made a mistake during configuration, or what else can be the problem?

Thank you in advance,

Viktor

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can think of three possible problems.

You have the HDD connected using USB.
    You (maybe?) use a windows native filesystem instead of a Linux native filesystem.
    You use a low power computer to run the download software, with a lot of random writes and error checks.

I suspect it is a combination effect involving all three that pull down the performance.

• Thank you for your answer.

I use HDD connected to USB, but with Y cable, so I use two USB on the computer to power it.
    I even tried with an external SSD, but I got the same speed.
    With the laptop on Win10, I can reach the gigabit, but on OMV not, that is why I do not understand what can be the problem.
    If I would change to an independently powered HDD it would be better?

I use ext4, I tried different solutions to format and it works the same.

I use original power supplies, so I do not think that would be a problem. If you mean, that the hardware is weak, I also see, that the cpu and memory never goes to maximum usage, and with the laptop I have no problem on Win10.

Thank you for your support in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Perhaps the download client is the problem? Try some other client?

Torrent downloads at full GbE speeds I assume need some serious hardware. We are talking about a lot of random writes and a lot of CRC error checking together with high network I/O. And possibly the USB interface you are using is not the fastest in combination with OMV. Make sure it is a UASP interface and that you are using a USB >= 3 certified cable.

I'm afraid I can't help more than this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are a lot of torrent clients. However not all may be directly supported/installed/used from OMV.

But I'm afraid I don't know enough about this to make any good suggestions. If you find one that works better than transmision, please post about it here. Others might help?

I have seen some mentioned here on this forum. With web interface and stuff.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!