Cockpit: To be or not to be

• Offizieller Beitrag

Having done a clean install of OMV5 and completed all the usual do hickeys at present Cockpit for Virtual Machines is about as useful as a wet paper bag or even a chocolate teapot, either I am doing something wrong or it's not installing correctly.

If you look at the blog on cockpit project and check each version there have been some changes in the configuration, in relation to 202 Create New Virtual Machine the image looks nothing like that, I have no connection option, it's the same for Create Virtual Network.

I checked the systemctl status cockpit and got the following;

further searching in respect of the alert I found this site using the information from there I get;

Code
    ls -lZ /usr/libexec/cockpit-session
    ls: cannot access '/usr/libexec/cockpit-session': No such file or directory

using journalctl -f and logging into cockpits gui outputs;

This in itself means nothing to me, either there is a configuration issue or an installation problem but it simply does not do what it says on the tin.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von geaves () aus folgendem Grund: Error in post

• Hi. I have also tried the Virtual Machines part of the Cockpit and it looks nice but it does not work as good as it looks.
    But are you sure you have installed the right things.

apt install cockpit
    apt install cockpit-dashboard
    apt install cockpit-bridge
    apt install cockpit-system
    apt install cockpit-storaged
    apt install cockpit-networkmanager
    apt install cockpit-packagekit

This is the two extras I found out that my install was missing:
    apt install libvirt-dbus
    apt install dnsmasq

after installing those it worked a bit better. But as I said in the start of the post: Cockpit looks nice but it does not works as good as it looks. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

apt install dnsmasq

The dnsmasq is something I was not aware of, the new OMV5 Extras should install all that is needed.

I just cannot get it to deploy a VM something always errors, considering there is no VB in Buster, Cockpit seemed to be the best option, but trying to find simple information on how to do things is non existent.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a bad feeling that whatever we do to get cockpit to work with VMs will break docker. This is most likely why proxmox doesn't want docker on the host.

It makes sense that dnsmasq would be needed if cockpit is NAT'ing the VM.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a bad feeling that whatever we do to get cockpit to work with VMs will break docker.

?( What about not installing cockpit-docker, the alternative, there would no VM possibility in OMV5 unless you run virt-manager from the command line.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What about not installing cockpit-docker, the alternative, there would no VM possibility in OMV5 unless you run virt-manager from the command line.

The cockpit-docker package isn't the problem. If we make a network change to fix cockpit VMs, it might break docker's networking in general. I haven't tested any of this. Just speculation right now. But I do agree that something else might be needed for VMs.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Just to clarify my statement: "a bit better"
    I did alot of fiddling around and was able to install windows 10, but it was crappy as hell. I don't know if it maybe was the hardware that I was using that was not supported.
    I was seeing my memory peaking and the cpu was running at 100% jumping up and down.
    So my experience was really bad.

It also took a lot of trial and error before I even could start the VM.

OBS: you have to be sure that you storage pool is active and your network domain is active.

To sum this up. I would rather run Openmediavault in some kind of hypervisor and then use that hypervisor to do VMs in stead of running Openmediavault on bare metal and VMs on that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To sum this up. I would rather run Openmediavault in some kind of hypervisor and then use that hypervisor to do VMs in stead of running Openmediavault on bare metal and VMs on that.

+1 and this is what I do. Proxmox with OMV VMs and one other VM for dockers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sure most would agree.

Like you have said, if they don't, they probably aren't comfortable with docker. VM sizing and VM update management is much tougher than anything docker.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker or an add-on VM platform, it has to be Docker.

if they don't, they probably aren't comfortable with docker.

This isn't about Docker or an "add-on VM platform" this is about choice, availability, Debian have chosen to remove VirtualBox from Buster, I've taken the time to look up why they have done that. What this means is that users of OMV3 and 4 will not have that available to them in OMV5, Cockpit offered that possibility. But as @henkall pointed out it took a lot of trial and error to get it to work, I've spent two days on and off and failed miserably.

Spending time searching for information on setting up Cockpit reveals very little even less if it doesn't work, but what that search did reveal is the comparison between Cockpit and Webmin. Further reading tells you that Cockpit is a remote manager for Linux servers along the lines of the other two, but Cockpit has the "capability" to deploy a Virtual Machine.

As Buster offers virt-manager a command line tool to create a Virtual Machine, that appears to be the only answer but use Cockpit to manage it.

If we make a network change to fix cockpit VMs, it might break docker's networking in general.

That makes sense even to me :) as Cockpit 'picks up' the Docker network.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!