Raspberry Pi 4 powered USB3 hub

• I've spent several hours trying to get OMV running on my Pi 4 with more than one HDD and eventually found out that the Raspberry Pi 4 doesn't play well with some powered USB hubs.
    Is anyone running OMV on a Pi 4 using a hub to connect multiple USB drives? If so, can you let me know the make/model of the hub please (I'm in the UK if that matters).

There is a list on wikipedia but its a bit vague in places, hence my request here.
    https://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs#Working_USB_Hubs

Many thanks

Michael

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think it would be best to not use a USB hub at all. Instead use a USB drive or USB HDD enclosure that either does not need extra power or has its own power supply.

Another option is to use a powered USB drive enclosure for several HDDs.

I also only use UASP USB HDD enclosures.

I have used a couple of Startech UASP USB HDD enclosures with RPi4 and OMV, and they all seem pretty good. I don't doubt that other brands can be as good or better. But I am satisfied with these.

S3510BMU33 - powered 3.5" HDD UASP USB 3.0 enclosure.

S2510BPU337 - unpowered 2.5" slim HDD UASP USB 3.0 enclosure. Nice for a 2.5 SATA SSD.

S352BU33HR - powered dual 3.5" HDD UASP USB 3.0 enclosure. Easy to swap drives.

Note: I don't have a USB hub between the enclosures and the RPi4. I suspect that if I did, performance would be degraded. Possibly severely degraded.

• Thanks folks

I've ordered that hub from Amazon UK - kinda annoyed that it costs the same as my Pi4 did but needs must.
    I get the point made by Adoby but this is supposed to be a low cost solution from bits I already have - which was everything except the PI.

All the best

Michael

• Offizieller Beitrag

One advantage with a powered USB hub is that you can use it to power the RPi4 as well. That way you don't need to buy a separate power supply for the RPi. Saves money and makes for less cables and less clutter. You will need a USB A to USB C (charging) cable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!