SMB/CIFS not showing in Network tab after restauring the image with clonezilla

    • OMV 5.x (beta)
    • Resolved

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • SMB/CIFS not showing in Network tab after restauring the image with clonezilla

      Hi all,

      I'm here with the hope to get some help to some headache that i'm facing for some days.


      My goals is to setup a server that will have OMV in it, with a 1TB HDD drive, particioned, in order to have in a small partition the OMV system and the remaining space will be used for storage.

      I've managed to set it up, and able to access it the content throught diferent laptops (all with Windows 10) on the Network sections in Windows explorer.

      The problem is when i try to capture the image from the 1TB HDD with clonezilla (including the partitions) upon restore the server, is no longer listed on the Windows PC connected in the Network tab.
      In order for it to work again i just went to "SMB/CIFS" settings under "Services" section in the OMV control panel disabelling it and reenabling it again and everything is working ok.
      Is there a way to avoid to have to reenable it after restauring the image?


      Thanks in advance for your time reading and possible trying to help me on this.

      Best Regards,

      Rui Dias
    • Network browsing is a quite complex interaction of several technologies. The announcements are collected in tables and updated in intervals. Therefore it may need some time to see the Samba server in the network environment. Maybe you only have to wait a little bit.

      If I reboot my OMV server I don´t see it immediately in the network environment too. I have to wait several minutes and have to press <F5> several times to get an updated computer list. But I never had to stop and start the Samba service of OMV.
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • What happens when you reboot the Windows client or connect a Samba share? Do you see the OMV server then in network environment?

      How often do you restore the image? Why is it a problem to stop and start the Samba service? This should be necessary only one time.
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • New

      Update on this:

      I found that wsdd doesn't start. If i start it from command line it becomes enabled, and the server started to appear in windows explorer.
      Also tried to make a cron script to start it on boot but it needs to be logged in, in order to work.

      An workaround is to enable the SMB 1.0 in Windows features (in the laptos that are meant to access). (At least it works after trying to update the OMV before cloning the disk).
      Also tried to have the SMB1.0 disabled upon restore the image in the server but it didn't show up in the laptops network tab, only changed after reenable the SMB1.0.

      Any ideia on how to enable wsdd everytime it boots?

      Thanks once again for your cooperation,

      Best Regards,
    • New

      Rui.Dias wrote:

      I'm using the 5.0.10-1, the Local Master Browser switch doesn't appear.
      Well that's not obvious from your post, had it been I would not have suggested it.

      To run your cron job, scheduled tasks, from the drop down select at reboot in the command box systemctl restart wsdd should solve the problem.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by geaves ().

    • New

      geaves wrote:

      Rui.Dias wrote:

      I'm using the 5.0.10-1, the Local Master Browser switch doesn't appear.
      Well that's not obvious from your post, had it been I would not have suggested it.
      To run your cron job, scheduled tasks, from the drop down select at reboot in the command box systemctl restart wsdd should solve the problem.
      I understand and i'm very thankfull for your help geaves, don't get me wrong.
      I've done the cron job and test it after and it doesn't run on boot (altought it runs ok when i click run in the OMV Gui).
      In order to test if it's ok i do a "systemctl stop wsdd" directly in the command lines in the server where it is running, and "systemctl status wsdd" after running (that's how i can see there's no problem with the cron job when i click in "Run".

      I've attached 3 pictures ( cron job settings, before running and after clicking in run ).
      I've also attached the screen of the wsdd status on the

      Do you have any idea why it doesn't run automatically on boot?

      Thanks once again for your great support,

      Best Regards,
      Images
      • after.jpg

        951.16 kB, 2,064×1,548, viewed 3 times
      • boot.jpg

        832.77 kB, 2,064×1,548, viewed 3 times
      • Capture1.PNG

        64.5 kB, 1,366×624, viewed 4 times
      • before.jpg

        712.89 kB, 1,652×1,239, viewed 4 times
    • New

      Rui.Dias wrote:

      Do you have any idea why it doesn't run automatically on boot?
      Are you running DHCP or a Static IP address for your OMV? I think that might be the problem based upon the error in the before image. It suggests to me that it's looking for the network to be up, the fact that you can restart after the system is fully up might suggest the same. TBH I never use DHCP on a server always static.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • New

      geaves wrote:

      TBH I never use DHCP on a server always static.
      I remember a former quite active member called tk****r ;) who argued that also servers should be on DHCP. My NAS is configured static IP and also the servers in my working environment have a static IP address.
      What are good rules to decide how to proceed?


      geaves wrote:

      It suggests to me that it's looking for the network to be up, the fact that you can restart after the system is fully up might suggest the same.
      Is there a possibility do delay the execution of the cron job?
      OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • New

      cabrio_leo wrote:

      I remember a former quite active member called tk****r
      ?( Don't know who you mean :)

      But in all honesty I have never, ever setup a server using DHCP, this has come up so many times I've lost count, as most users have a router that runs DHCP on their network, what if the router died, or during a power outage the dhcp table was wiped, static ip is a no brainer. Oh, I also have my workstation on a static ip for those just in case moments :)


      cabrio_leo wrote:

      Is there a possibility do delay the execution of the cron job?
      Not sure, what you're looking at is similar to what can be done in Windows where you can enable a delayed start to a service, I'm guessing this could be done on OMV, how, that part is above my pay grade :) that's why I suggested a static ip instead.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • New

      geaves wrote:

      Rui.Dias wrote:

      Do you have any idea why it doesn't run automatically on boot?
      Are you running DHCP or a Static IP address for your OMV? I think that might be the problem based upon the error in the before image. It suggests to me that it's looking for the network to be up, the fact that you can restart after the system is fully up might suggest the same. TBH I never use DHCP on a server always static.
      That have solved the problem! Thanks both of you for your great support.