OMV Proxmox storage

• Looking to migrate to a new server and virtualize OMV on Proxmox.

I want to pull the drives from my current server and put them in the new one without wiping them or losing the data. For those familiar with Proxmox, is this the procedure to add those drives to OMV? If it is done this way, those drives are only visible by the OMV VM, correct? Will OMV be able to handle SMART monitoring on those drives or will that need to be done by the PVE host?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

is this the procedure to add those drives to OMV?

yes

If it is done this way, those drives are only visible by the OMV VM, correct?

Yes.

Will OMV be able to handle SMART monitoring on those drives or will that need to be done by the PVE host?

https://forum.proxmox.com/thre…vm-on-virtio-drive.30282/

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• so the monitoring may or may not work if you pass through as a scsi device....

ryecoaaron, I read somewhere that you said you can mount the drive in PVE's /etc/fstab and then pass the drive to the VM? Does that work with drives that already have data?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read somewhere that you said you can mount the drive in PVE's /etc/fstab and then pass the drive to the VM? Does that work with drives that already have data?

You can't pass a filesystem through to a VM which is what you would be doing if it was in /etc/fstab. You can serve the files via nfs and mount those on the VM.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would that (NFS) work with snapraid and mergerfs in omv?

Yep.

• I guess I have options then. I think the pass through is the simplest. As far as the NFS goes, I didn't think it would work as I thought snapraid looked for physical drives. Or maybe snapraid doesn't care, but will the OMV gui that manages the .conf file let you add NFS shares?

• Offizieller Beitrag

didn't think it would work as I thought snapraid looked for physical drives. Or maybe snapraid doesn't care

snapraid uses files on a filesystem just like mergerfs.

will the OMV gui that manages the .conf file let you add NFS shares?

It will if you use the remote mount plugin.

• I discovered that the you're limited to 15 virtio drives passed through. That's no bueno since I have 24 bays. I configured pci pass through for the HBA and now omv see's the drives great. No other VM can use any of the bays but I'm OK with that.

EDIT: I can see all the drives but something is up with my system as performance is terrible. I can't saturate a gigabit connection and snapraid tops out at 50 MB/s. ?(:(

EDIT2: I could not get PCI passthrough to work properly with an LSI9207-8i card (lots of IO errors), so I put my old Supermicro SAS2 card in and PCI passthrough would not allow the VM to start at all. So I'm using the SM card without passthrough and just passing the drives through. Works for now and performance is respectable.

EDIT3: So the SM card I have doesn't support SAS expanders, so I got a LSI9211-8i off fleabay and flashed to IT mode. Was able to enable PCI passthrough with this card and everything is working great.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!