OMV issue - 2xNVME = No LAN?

• I have another strange issue. ;(

As soon as I put my 2nd NVME SSD into the server both LAN ports go dead right when OMV starts boots. In the bios the SSD shows up just fine and I have lights on both LAN ports. The lights go out on the LAN ports exactly when the counter in the grub boot menu hits 0 and the boot begins.

The mainboard manual also shows no signs that the LAN ports will get deactivated with 2 NVME SSDs installed.

Hardware:
    Intel i3-8100
    Gigabyte C246-WU4
    2x Kingston Server Premier 8GB DDR4-2400 ECC
    Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB, M.2 (OMV OS disk - in the upper M.2 slot)
    ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, M.2 (in the lower M.2 slot)
    6x Western Digital WD Red 10TB 3.5" (WD100EFAX)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did a quick check and it seems the MB only supports one NVMe drive and one M.2 SATA drive. Check to see if that is correct.

If you put a NVMe drive in a M.2 SATA slot, then I assume that strange things happens. Like pcie lanes for lan blocked. And the manual only describes how the MB works when used correctly.

• On page 18 in the spreadsheet it says when the M2M M.2 slot(the lower slot) has a PCI-E SSD then PCIEX4_2 slot gets deactivated. That's fine because I don't need that slot.

But it makes no sense that its a lane issue because it works in the bios. The SSD is present and I have LAN at the same time.

Maybe I'll buy an adapter so I can put the SSD in a regular PCI-E slot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But am I right that you try to put two NVMe drives in the MB when the MB only supports one?

If so, then it only stands to reason that very strange things happen if you don't respect this. I don't know if it is pcie lanes that is the problem or something else. But at least it seems that stuff stops working. Like the LAN.

• Ok it's definitely an OMV issue. I bought an adapter to put the SSD into a normal PCI-E Slot. Even the GPU slot which is wired directly into the CPU gives me the same error.

As soon as OMV is booting the LAN ports are dead.

I have no idea how to find out what is going on ;(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you look for a BIOS update? This seems to be a motherboard or BIOS limitation, versus software. Among other tasks, it's the job of BIOS (Basic Input Output System) to detect ALL peripherals and hand that information over to the OS, when it's loaded.

Ok it's definitely an OMV issue.

If this is software related (that has not been established), it is a Debian Linux issue.

OMV is an application that installs on the Debian OS. OMV has no impact on how hardware is presented by BIOS or the underlaying OS.

Still, even if you can't find the reason why you can't use two (2) NVME drives, you know you can use one.

• Yeah no BIOS update. It's already on the newest version. As long as I stay in the BIOS the SSD and the LAN works just fine.

So when it's a Debian Issue... ...how can you fix that? Is there something like a device manager so I can somehow find anything out why my LAN ports will not work with the SSD?

...no I need the second NVME SSD. I can't store the data in the air. :D

I will contact the Gigabyte support as well just to make sure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Again, you still don't know, for a fact that this is not a MOBO or BIOS issue. Two NVME drives may work in the BIOS screen but that doesn't mean that it hands off "correctly" to the OS. I'd send a note to Gigabyte support, outlining the issue, just to be thorough.

You could try a couple live OS disks, Knoppix and others to see if the problem occurs with other OS's and different implementations. (Knoppix is known of hardware recognition.) I think you can even install Win10, unregistered and without a license for awhile.

So when it's a Debian Issue... ...how can you fix that?

You'd have to search through Debian's hardware errata. I don't know that you'll find a solution because there's TONs of test data, doc's, forum posts, etc.

...no I need the second NVME SSD. I can't store the data in the air.

You can store data on a spinning drive or a standard SSD with a SATA interface.
    There's also a USB to NVME adapter to consider. (Note: I'm not recommending this. These are alternate ideas to consider.)

• How do you know the lan ports are dead? Have you check lspci once Server has boot if the controllers are there ?

The LEDs on the ports are off. Also I can't connect to the IP that the adapter has. The LEDs on the switch are off as well. So the adapters are not even syncing with the switch.

This is the first time that I hear about that lspci check. Sorry this is my first time with Linux. :D I don't really know where to start looking, that's why I wrote this thread. I can fix almost anything on a Windows system but Linux is like learning to walk again. Quite hard. :/
    Also I have no monitor or KVM over IP near my server, so I have to move the server every time I need to have a physical screen. X/
    I'll check lspci tomorrow!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The LEDs on the ports are off. Also I can't connect to the IP that the adapter has. The LEDs on the switch are off as well. So the adapters are not even syncing with the switch.
    This is the first time that I hear about that lspci check. Sorry this is my first time with Linux. :D I don't really know where to start looking, that's why I wrote this thread. I can fix almost anything on a Windows system but Linux is like learning to walk again. Quite hard. :/
    Also I have no monitor or KVM over IP near my server, so I have to move the server every time I need to have a physical screen. X/
    I'll check lspci tomorrow!

So you have absolutely no idea what's going on with your server. I bet your server isn't even booting to an OS, is probably stuck there....

• This is what I get with ip addr show:
    forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/13362/

Edit: When I enter "ip link set enp8s0 up" it turns the LEDs on the LAN port on but it doesn't get a connection. 8|
    When I reboot the server the LEDs on the LAN port are off and "ip addr show" shows the adapter as "down" again.

Ok another update!
    After I entered "dhclient enp8s0" my server has a working LAN connection again! Even the SSD is working.

BUT every reboot the LAN ports are turned off again.
    How do I get them to turn on with the SSD installed when I boot the server likr normal. I don't want to turn on the LAN ports every time by hand. Is this maybe a bug?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!