Cloned data drive to larger drive size; how to resize?

• I have a USB3 data drive that was 4TB. I used MiniTool to clone that onto a 10TB USB3 drive. However, Minitool did not allow me to expand the data partition. It is still 4TB. Now that the 10TB drive is installed on OMV, it works great. But still at 4TB data drive size. How to I expand the partition (/dev/sdb1) to fill the entire drive?

• I don´t know MiniTool but a quick search showed me that it should be possible to resize partitions also with MiniTool.

Personally I always use GParted live for such kind of operations.

Which kind of file system do you have on the target drive?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Minitool was not able to resize the EXT4 partition. I am familiar with gparted also and will try that. Is gparted an extension or do I install in manually in SSH? Also, I found I am unable to unmount the data drive in OMV. Is there some secret to unmounting a data drive that is referenced?

Also, I should note that I am running headless, so cannot use live CD/USB approach. I must either remove the drive and put it on another system or find a way to unmount the drive to work on it using SSH on OMV.

EDIT: I tried many ways to unmount the drive within OMV, but it would not budge. So I just shut down OMV and plugged the USB data drive into a Linux laptop, and used resize2fs on the laptop. There must be some way to simply unmount a drive in OMV, but I could not find it. At least, without having to remove all references to the drive which would have been rather complex and time consuming to recreate when done.

• Is gparted an extension or do I install in manually in SSH?

I always use the GParted live edition to boot from. Reading your posting in more detail I have seen that you have already resized it.

Is there some secret to unmounting a data drive that is referenced?

There is a plugin called "resetperms". It shows you all references of a share. All references must be removed to unmount a drive. This a restriction in OMV.

There must be some way to simply unmount a drive in OMV, but I could not find it.

AFAIK there is none.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• gParted is probably the best way to go.

If you have installed OpenMediaVault Extras (OMV-Extras), then via its [KERNEL] tab, you can add install gParted Live to your system. Once you have done this, you will have another option in the initial boot menu to boot into gParted.

http://omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/guides

Alternatively, you could download and make a bootable cd of gParted Live.

https://gparted.org/livecd.php

I guess that you could also SSHinto the box and use the command line, but I am not a good source of info for that, other than:

• umount to unmount the file system
    • fdisk to delete/create in a larger size
    • resize2fs to resize an ext4 filesystem

I am not sure that there is any way to keep the data using this last method. gParted will enable you to keep your data, so suggest you go with that.

hope this helps.

Ron

• Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I was able to resize the drive just fine and all is back up and running. Running headless does present some extra challenges, but since my data drive is external USB, it was not too much of a problem to move it to another PC for the changes.

Again, thanks for the pointers @cabrio_leo and @rrroonn.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!