Setup Question. Appdata no such file or directory

• hi everyone,
    hoping someone can help me with this.....

so i'm trying to install nextcloud following Techno Dad's video.
    when I get to the part where you go into shellinthebox, type cd /sharedfolders/appdata/nextclouddb/ I get /Appdata: no such file or directory.
    I confirmed that the file is there, it showes all of them but when I try accessing it no luck.

Am I missing something here? permissions issue? I installed plex using his video and had no issues, it's up and running fine but
    this one has me banging my head. I also went to my server directly with keyboard and monitor hooked up and same thing.
    This is a new build I've only had up and running for about a week and my knowledge is very limited. been building computers since the early 90's but
    they have always windows based.

Appreciate the help. ;( i'm a total noob at Linux and openmediavault.

• Hi,

It seems like you have folder's permission issue.
    Go to the 'sharefolders' in OMV, and grant the user (yourself), and Docker the full permissions use Privileges to AppData.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you create a folder called "Appdata"? If not, do so in the webUI. It sounds like you never created the directory. Also, keep in mind that directories are case sensitive in command line, so "appdata" is different than "AppData" and "Appdata". Either of these situations could cause a directory not found response.

It's not a permission issue. If it was a permission issue you would get "Permission Denied". You've either not created the directory or you're typing the path in incorrectly.

• well, my user was correct and changed permissions under shared folders/ ACL for appdata for docker to read/write but still no change.

when i'm in shellinabox or directly logged in the server I am able to change directory to sharedfolders but not able to access any of the subfolders. same thing...no such file or directory. even though I can see them when search for them.

going to delete and try again...

• Offizieller Beitrag

well, my user was correct and changed permissions under shared folders/ ACL for appdata for docker to read/write but still no change.

when i'm in shellinabox or directly logged in the server I am able to change directory to sharedfolders but not able to access any of the subfolders. same thing...no such file or directory. even though I can see them when search for them.

going to delete and try again...

Again, if you can see the directories and in the command line you're getting a directory not found... You're typing the path wrong. Deleting it and doing it over isn't going to change that as you'll just be right back here in a few minutes.

An example from your first post... :

"sharedfolders/appdata/nextclouddb/ I get /Appdata: no such file or directory." The path you typed was /sharedfolders/appdata/nextclouddb/ yet the response you got is "Appdata: No such file or directory". Look at your path (appdata) and look at the response, (Appdata). Are you seeing the problem?

This isn't a permission issue.

• I read another post regarding Docker config, somebody said don't use /sharefolders/ path, but instead use the full path (/srv/dev....../) to avoid issue.
    Try the full file path see if it works.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• "Did you create a folder called "Appdata"? If not, do so in the webUI. It sounds like you never created the directory. Also, keep in mind that directories are case sensitive in command line, so "appdata" is different than "AppData" and "Appdata". Either of these situations could cause a directory not found response.

It's not a permission issue. If it was a permission issue you would get "Permission Denied". You've either not created the directory or you're typing the path in incorrectly."

I did create that folder and it is visible on my network as well as within OMV. Additionally, i made sure i was spelling it right with the correct capitalization.
    As i said, when i'm in shellinabox i can log in and change directory to shared folders but then files not found after that.
    i see them if i search, it shows the file names but cant access.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well you've narrowed it down.. you're typing the path incorrectly after shared folders.

• Again, if you can see the directories and in the command line you're getting a directory not found... You're typing the path wrong. Deleting it and doing it over isn't going to change that as you'll just be right back here in a few minutes.
    An example from your first post... :

"sharedfolders/appdata/nextclouddb/ I get /Appdata: no such file or directory." The path you typed was /sharedfolders/appdata/nextclouddb/ yet the response you got is "Appdata: No such file or directory". Look at your path (appdata) and look at the response, (Appdata). Are you seeing the problem?

This isn't a permission issue.

Sorry, that was just me not typing it out exactly as it was on the screen.
    that still does not explain, at least to me, why i can't access it when i change directory to /sharedfolders. everything under that folderi get the same response. file not found.

I apologize for for my inexperience here. i do thank you all for the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read another post regarding Docker config, somebody said don't use /sharefolders/ path, but instead use the full path (/srv/dev....../) to avoid issue.
    Try the full file path see if it works.

I'm sure for some, that's an issue... but I use the /sharedfolders shortcuts in all my containers, and I have no problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, that was just me not typing it out exactly as it was on the screen.that still does not explain, at least to me, why i can't access it when i change directory to /sharedfolders. everything under that folderi get the same response. file not found.

I apologize for for my inexperience here. i do thank you all for the help.

No need to apologize, we all started somewhere. You're clearly typing the path wrong however.

Unfortunately I have to leave, so I'm gonna have to bow out. Maybe someone else can give you some help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

here's a screen shot....
    i'm pretty sure i'm typing it right but maybe not?

You have to type the full path.. or in your case since you're already under /sharedfolders... Just the path name.

Try this either, either will work...

cd /sharedfolders/Appdata

or
    cd /sharedfolders (then hit enter)
    cd Appdata

In the second one, When you added the / on /Appdata.... it was actually searching under the root directory for Appdata. Since you want it to look under /sharedfolders (where you had already changed to)... don't put that forward slash.

• Offizieller Beitrag

brilliant! I should have caught that.
    yes, i am now able to change the directory. Man i need to get a linux for dummies book. X/

Well, lets see if i can finish this installation.
    thank you sooooo much KM.

@crashtest has posted a kind of "OMV for Dummies" guide. I really have to run (I hate leaving in the middle of helping people, but now you've got this resolved). It's a PDF you can download and I think it has some basic command line in it that you may find useful. One thing for certain, there will be absolutely nothing about under voltage or power consumption! (LOL).

Maybe he'll chime in here and give you a link.

• one tip you can use the tab key for auto-completion of possible files. If there are more than one possible options taking the tab key twice will give you the available files (i hope this explanation is understandable).

• Offizieller Beitrag

there will be absolutely nothing about under voltage or power consumption! (LOL).

And with very good reasons. A good number of even the experienced users have no idea of how Ohm's law relates to powering electronics, so I think leaving that subject out of a new users guide might have been a good idea. (I was contemplating putting something in there for R-PI users.)

@calchef In my signature, below, you'll find links to doc's and How-To's. I think you may be beyond the new users guide but I can say, as you're finding, when working on the command line exacting attention to detail is important.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!