Powerful enough system?

• Hello everyone,

I've recently obtained a small form factor ThinkCentre M58p and wonder if it's going to be powerful enough for the usage I have in mind. (I have some Linux experience but this'd be my first time using OMV, or any NAS solution for that matter.)

Usage would be mainly as a network share for my desktop workstation/laptop/tablet and to stream media to an Nvidia Shield TV (so transcoding probably isn't required).
    The other possible usage would be as an NVR for two to four security cameras, to be determined.

Current specs:
    CPU: Intel Pentium E5400 (dual core, 2.7 GHz)
    RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    HDD: some old 250GB
    LAN: built-in 1GB Ethernet

Motherboard has an Intel Q45 Express chipset with two SATA ports and USB 2.0 only. I'm thinking of installing OMV on a USB 2.0 stick, is that sensible or am I asking for trouble?

My plan is to upgrade what's required, without spending too much on this (circa 2009) machine either; this is another item where I'd like your input.

CPU: Is the dual core part enough or should I look at a Core 2 Quad Q9550 from eBay?
    RAM: 4, 8 or 16 GB? (what about ZFS? how much more RAM and CPU does that require?)
    HDD: thinking of a single WD Red, probably 4TB.

Thanks,

Darkshado

• My old Atom 1x 1,6GHz & 2GB RAM runs smooth with a maximum of 3 Users.

I cant talk about transcoding and i dont use ZFX.
    (For NVR purpose: Do you know about ZoneMinder?)

I tried an installation on a USB-Stick and after 2 hours i decidet to buy a SSD. It wasnt a "high-end" stick so that may have caused the slow system. I also read about corrupted files after weeks or some months.
    Any HDD or SSD will be a better choice i would asume.

Bilder

Hardware: AsRock Q1900 (inside case of modified ThinkCentre A57e, type 6306), 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD (BX500), 3TB HDD (WD30EZRX)

Software: OMV 4.1.28-1, OMVExtras 4.1.16, ResetPerms 3.3, Flashmemory 4.2.1, Backup 4.0.6, USB-Backup 4.0.8-1, clamav 4.1.11-1, Docker-GUI 4.1.6, PiHole 4.3.2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Motherboard has an Intel Q45 Express chipset with two SATA ports and USB 2.0 only. I'm thinking of installing OMV on a USB 2.0 stick, is that sensible or am I asking for trouble?

This is fine. Boot requirements are minimal but I'd recommend a USB3 thumbdrive in any case, for their more advanced controllers. Just remember to use the flashmemory plugin for longer life. (I'd say it's a requirement for flash media.)

Usage would be mainly as a network share for my desktop workstation/laptop/tablet and to stream media to an Nvidia Shield TV (so transcoding probably isn't required).

I don't know what the requirements are for an Nvidia TV - however - think of native format streaming as a relatively s-l-o-w file copy. Essentially, that's what it is. If you have 1GB Ethernet, you'll be fine. If you're not doing transcoding which is an "on-the-fly" video format change, very CPU intensive BTW, there's nothing to worry about.
    Along these lines, I have streamed 1080P from a relatively slow Atom CPU, from a ZFS filesystem, with zero problems.

The other possible usage would be as an NVR for two to four security cameras, to be determined.

This is where I'd have to say "no comment". There are too many variables involved when it comes to cameras, video types (H.265, raw, analog, etc.), to even guess at what might be required to add cameras to a NAS server. I can say that most modern video compression schemes are handled by Linux based security DVR's, with relatively low grade hardware.
    Due to 24x7 data throughput concerns, I would lean toward having a separate network, and server, for a security system.

• Thanks for your replies.

I like the idea of using a newer USB3 stick for the controller.

Looking at some of Zoneminder's documentation it seems a 2-3 camera setup was doable on something as old as a late Pentium 3, so while I'm still leaning towards the CPU upgrade it's only because of concurrent usage as a NAS. For reliability reasons I'll probably dedicate a separate drive for the cameras.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!