New attempt - need a home NAS/Cloud - which way to go?

• Hi,

after a long break I want to start again with my home NAS/cloud.

I have a lot of data which I want to have available, but also want to sync my computer-data (Wife, daughter, myself) via a cloud (should be better than NAS only).
    We want to sync Win PC/Mac, iOS devices, Notebook.

I do have two devices and several Harddisks/SD-Cards.

Device 1: Odroid HC2 (with a 4TB WD Red HDD)
    Device 2: Zotac nano CI327

So what would be the best way to go? What would you do?
    - Installing OMV on HC2 or on Zotac nano?
    - Installing a Nextcloud additional to OMV?

Would be nice to get a short help to start my project...! Don't wanna start the wrong way. That's, why I'm asking.

Thx a lot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What I would do.

Put a 2TB Crucial MX 500 SSD in the Zotac.
    Upgrade the Zotac to 8 GB.
    Put a 12TB HDD in the HC2.
    Buy a USB3 HDD dock.

Install OMV on both the Zotac and the HC2.

Install NC as a docker image on the Zotac.
    Use the HC2 as backup and storage for the Zotac. Also Emby media server and perhaps pi-hole.
    Use the old HDDs for backups of the HC2 and the Zotac using the USB3 HDD dock attached to the Zotac.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do have two devices and several Harddisks/SD-Cards.

Device 1: Odroid HC2 (with a 4TB WD Red HDD)
    Device 2: Zotac nano CI327

Either device will do the job. I'd lean more toward the Zotac, because it's an X86 device, but that's nothing more than a personal preference. The Odriod would be fine as a NAS. It if was me, I'd probably use the Zotac as the primary server and use the Odriod, with another 4TB disk, as a backup.

I have a lot of data which I want to have available, but also want to sync my computer-data (Wife, daughter, myself) via a cloud (should be better than NAS only).
    We want to sync Win PC/Mac, iOS devices, Notebook.

I'm using Urbackup. It's an excellent choice for client backup. I'm using it for Windows clients and have used it to backup /home folders on Linux clients. I don't have direct experience with Mac's or iOS devices, but the UrbackUp package is cross platform.

In my case, I've dedicated a separate 3TB disk to store client file and image backups. While that may seem like a lot, depending on "what and how much" is stored on clients, even 3TB might not be enough. You'll have to get your crew used to the idea of using the server as primary data storage, or set custom exclusion filters on each client. Otherwise, you'll be storing the same data twice.)

So what would be the best way to go? What would you do?
    - Installing OMV on HC2 or on Zotac nano?
    - Installing a Nextcloud additional to OMV?

I couldn't advise you on "cloud" anything, to include the self hosted "Next Cloud". Perhapes someone else will chime in on that and with other hardware ideas. However, there's a video How-To on installing Next Cloud. There's a link to OMV videos in my signature below.

• Thx for your feedback.

What about the Zotac and OMV. is there an ready image available or do I have to install Ubuntu/Debian before?

and if I really need Nextcloud... good question.

Want to have a sync to my computers and also access my data from iPhone/iPad.

Nextcloud does have an app with sync for that. Maybe there are other alternatives? So that I only need OMV?

Or is Nextcloud the way to go with OMV.

Only want local LAN access. If I’m abroad I would sync it via VPN if needed.

• I sync the data between my devices via Resilio sync. In addition I do incremental backups of the files in cause I accidentally delete something so I can roll back.

@crashtest to set up nextcloud it's better to refer to macom's guide cause the video guide by TDL is outdated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What about the Zotac and OMV. is there an ready image available or do I have to install Ubuntu/Debian before?

Despite it's size, your Zotac model is a normal X64 install. (64bit) You can use the integrated ISO provided for a standard OMV4 setup.

Follow the New User Guide link, in my signature below. It will get you started with links to download locations, the ISO, useful utilities, etc. After you're up and running, the Forum Guides Section has Macom's guide for nextcloud and many other things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume you are talking about the root fs. I would expect that you could use a SD card, a M.2. MSATA SSD, a USB thumbdrive or a USB HDD.

It is also _possible_ to use a big 2.5" SATA SSD or HDD for both the root fs and data partition. But that requires some fiddling with the setup outside OMV. And might be a bad idea for security and performance reason.

• That's the way I want to go.

I assume you are talking about the root fs. I would expect that you could use a SD card, a M.2. MSATA SSD, a USB thumbdrive or a USB HDD.

I mean, that If I put a 2TB SSD into the Zotac that's the only HD within the Zotac and as I know the OMV system must be on a separate HD (SD Card, etc...) - so that's what I meant.

How to configure the Zotac to use it as a OMV/Nextcloud system concerning disks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could very well have the root fs (the "system") on a USB thumbdrive (or a SD card). And use the SSD for NC and storage of documents and so on. If you use Docker (and why not?) then just make sure to set the Docker base path to a shared folder on the SSD and not on the root fs. By default the Docker base path is /var/lib/docker and that is on the root fs.

Using the flash memory plugin having the root fs on a USB thumbdrive is perfectly OK. Even really nice because it is so very easy to remove and clone/backup USB thumbdrives.

Use a good quality USB 3.X thumbdrive. I like the SanDisk Ultra line of thumbdrives, but I assume there are other brands and models that are just as good or even better. SanDisk Extreme and Extreme PRO Solid State are better, but also much more expensive and probably overkill. Just be careful not to buy a fake. And get two so you can easily clone/backup the setup.

I haven't actually ever setup NC on OMV, so for more detailed advice others might be more helpful. And/or might correct me...

I do like the Zotac box. Nice!

• I haven't actually ever setup NC on OMV, so for more detailed advice others might be more helpful. And/or might correct me...

I do like the Zotac box. Nice!

Thx for your feedback and help.

I will give it a try. Do have some SD Cards around (new and Sandisk ones).

You don't use NC? How do you sync your stuff with your computers/mobiles? Or no sync at all?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use the Android app "FolderSync Pro" to sync and backup Android devices to/from a NAS. Especially useful when I push new or updated ebooks out to Android ebook readers.

I tried to automate this a while ago, so that as soon as a mobile device came into range of my WiFi network it automatically would do a sync to/from the network. But it was more hassle than it was worth. Easier to sync manually or on a schedule using FolderSync Pro.

I use my own super-duper rsync snapshot and purge script and cron to sync and backup between computers and my NAS servers and between NAS servers. In some cases on boot or when some app quit that might have updated something.

But I am considering installing NC. Mainly to see what all the fuss is about. But also possibly to setup for some family members. They have a very nice internet connection. I don't. If I setup NC for them, I can use it as well. ;)

• But I am considering installing NC. Mainly to see what all the fuss is about. But also possibly to setup for some family members. They have a very nice internet connection. I don't. If I setup NC for them, I can use it as well. ;)

Most of the time the main fuss seems to be about problems setting up nc ;)
    I like it because it offers a well maintained program which can sync files, lets me share files with other people without them needing to install a program. Also I host my calendars and contacts on NC.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I have to use an SD within the zotac or a usb3 connected HD?

I'd go with the SD-card slot (using San-Disk or Samsung) for the boot drive. SD-cards are easy to clone. Use the USB port for a data drive. You could do a self powered USB3.X drive dock, with two drive slots, but I'd get one with a good chipset (JMS578).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!